Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heating pad? Or ice pack?

I had surgery 2 days ago. I thought I was tough but the pain on my left side is bad. Right after the surgery I was hurting. They gave me pain meds at the surgery center & I couldn't tell it did a thing. The pain medicine I have at home works much better but mainly because it knocks me out. The worst pain comes when I try to get up or sit back down. It feels like I am just going to rip something out. It's around the port area. I also had a hiatel hernia repaired while they were in there so I'm thinking maybe that could be contributing a little to the pain. I feel like a wimp after reading how well some people are doing. I had 2 kids with no epidurals & I didn't hurt near this much. I don't want to scare anybody off but it's also scary if your the one in pain & all your reading are the positive stories.

I'm taking the gas-x strips cause I'm not sure if this pain is gas but just in case. My main reason for posting is because I want to know if anyone here knows if it is ok to use a heating pad or an ice pack on the port area. The area is swollen. Also I am following the advice I've read on here about walking. Every time I get up I walk from one end of my house to the other about a dozen times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I lived with my heating pad. I had some complications after surgery and the heating pad was my best friend. I never used ice. I used to put the heating pad on and then put a pillow over it when I was sitting in the recliner, but in bed, just had it on.

When I rolled over in bed, it was like the fat went first and then the muscle, and it hurt like a bitch.

I had surgery 2 days ago. I thought I was tough but the pain on my left side is bad. Right after the surgery I was hurting. They gave me pain meds at the surgery center & I couldn't tell it did a thing. The pain medicine I have at home works much better but mainly because it knocks me out. The worst pain comes when I try to get up or sit back down. It feels like I am just going to rip something out. It's around the port area. I also had a hiatel hernia repaired while they were in there so I'm thinking maybe that could be contributing a little to the pain. I feel like a wimp after reading how well some people are doing. I had 2 kids with no epidurals & I didn't hurt near this much. I don't want to scare anybody off but it's also scary if your the one in pain & all your reading are the positive stories.

I'm taking the gas-x strips cause I'm not sure if this pain is gas but just in case. My main reason for posting is because I want to know if anyone here knows if it is ok to use a heating pad or an ice pack on the port area. The area is swollen. Also I am following the advice I've read on here about walking. Every time I get up I walk from one end of my house to the other about a dozen times.

Thanks in advance for your help.

it really should get better by the 3rd day, if a particular area hurts you more than another you should call the doctor. take your medication!!! that's important as you need to move move move...you're at risk for a blood clot if you're not moving. Also take deep breaths, if they gave you an incentive spirometer use it....it will pass really......hiatel hernia repair shouldn't add that much more discomfort....good luck on your new day of the start of a new life

:smile:

My surgeon said that Lap Band surgery hurts much worse than Gastric Bypass because they cut the muscle and sew the port there. I can see why you hurt. I hope you feel better soon.

Yes, use a heating pad, on your back, side, stomach, where ever you need it. Also use a pillow to support your stomach when sitting, or laying in bed on your side, I had mine so I could role my left leg onto it and the side of my stomach was supported also, it helps a lot. It does get better. I also used a back support I had for a few days over my shirt when I felt like I needed a little more support. Just for a few days. You will see a noticable improvement every few days, everyone is different, don't worry, you are not a wimp. Relax, that helps, too.

I used both a heating pad and a huge ice pack. My doc said to use the ice pack on my stomach area for the first two days. It really did help keep the swelling down and had an added bonus of making the area a little numb too. I used the heating pad on my back mostly (where my gas pains were) and I still need it every once in awhile now. The first couple of days were the worst. Give yourself time ....you'll feel better in no time.

Well. I had the surgery on Wednesday. Finally on Sunday I was feeling a little better. But I decided I was finally ready to have my first bowel movement. OMG! I was not ready for that. This may be too much info for most of you but I swear I sat there for 2 hours trying to go. It was so painful. If I had it to do over again I would have been taking metamucil from the beginning. I didn't think about it until I felt the urge to go which was too late. After that passed I felt so much better. And today is much, much better & the scales finally moved a couple more pounds. Bad part is though I finally feel hunger again. Hopefully only good things from here.:biggrin:

Its going to be tough the first 6 weeks out, you are feeling better after 2-3 weeks, and then its a battle of wills to eat. Most bands don't have any fill in them right after surgery, so you have no restriction. This is one of the times you want to follow a food plan, and write down what you are eating and drinking so you don't overdo it.

It does get a little scary cause you are afraid of damaging the band, so stay strong and positive. Don't panic if you gain weight either, because the whole first 6 weeks are for healing, and because you have no restriction it could happen. Don't let it get to you and don't get mad, just get back on the plan the next day.

I had gastric sleeve 5 days ago it hurts to get up and down didn’t have a bowl movement for 5 days. Where they had the drain tube hurts the most. When I hiccup it hurts. I was using a heating pad but my mil told me not to bc it can cause infection so that scared me hahaha I’ll be making an appointment with my dr in a few days see what she says. I have read that Tylenol is ok to take I just don’t want to take the wrong things. The pain I think is different for every one. It’s been 5 days and I still have pain so. Try to walk and take pain meds before you start to hurt.