Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cheated on my Liquid Diet...Am I going to be ok for Surgery?

Ok so I know i shouldn't have, but I cheated on my liquid diet about half way through on cinco de mayo and ate some bad stuff. I have lost around 12 lbs still though and my surgery isn't until tuesday the 13th. But my question is...if you cheat...does it revert your liver back to before you started or is it as long as you lose weight you should be fine?

Who has cheated and still been okay to get the surgery? Could the doctor tell and was it an issue?

I'm not putting this here to be lectured. Just want to know if anyone knows about that.

Thanks for helping with my peace of mind.

I'm not sure how much "trouble" you'll be in - many (including myself) were never put on a pre-op diet. So I say the odds are in your favor; continue w/the program your Dr set forth with you & good luck w/your surgery!!

I cheated a little as well. My doctor didn't even weigh me the day of my surgery so it wasn't an issue. Good luck!

I too have to abide by a pre op diet, and don't know how I am going to do it! :smile: However, the staff stressed to me over and over. If you do not follow the diet, and he goes in for surgery, and your liver is in the way. He will not complete the surgery due to risks involved with your liver not being shrunk. So I would be honest with the doctor so you won't go under and have to come back without the band. Let him make the call instead of going in blindly.

I cheated too on my 10 day pre op diet. (3 peices of thin crust pizza one night a some thai food another). In hindsight, I would not do it again because I fretted so much that it would cause problems, or the doc would open me up and say "cheater"! and close me back up with no lap band!!

The food was not worth the worry, and it just added to the stress of the surgery itself.

I don't know anything about the liver reverting back, but I bet one meal won't do it. Get back on track and stick to it, if only for your own peace of mind.

I had my successful surgery on April 30th. My doctor said my liver looked fine.

Good luck to you:biggrin2:

Ok so I know i shouldn't have, but I cheated on my liquid diet about half way through on cinco de mayo and ate some bad stuff. I have lost around 12 lbs still though and my surgery isn't until tuesday the 13th. But my question is...if you cheat...does it revert your liver back to before you started or is it as long as you lose weight you should be fine?

Who has cheated and still been okay to get the surgery? Could the doctor tell and was it an issue?

I'm not putting this here to be lectured. Just want to know if anyone knows about that.

Thanks for helping with my peace of mind.

I was weighed the day of surgery and I had lost a few pounds but I was never put on a pre-op diet. My doctor showed my family pictures of my liver. I had no fat around it. I was absolutely paranoid about my liver. Goes to show you... never know your situation on the inside... don't get yourself worried and just stick to it from here on out.

i was only placed on a pre - op diet to become mentally prepared for what i needed to do post op. no other reason .. i was told i could eat up until midnite the night before my surgery.. everything went well. just get back in there and dont beat yourself up about it..

Your liver shrinks if you lose weight. You lost weight, so you should be fine.

A couple of things... some of the pre op diets are for some different reasons.... one is to shrink the liver, one is to prepare you for your new lifestyle of eating and another is to cleanse the liver prior to surgery.... most people only really need to be on a pre op diet if your BMI is 45 or higher... but do follow your own doctors orders, that's the best.... with a liver shrinking diet.... your body only goes into ketosis (a fat burning mode) with 14 consecutive days of following the prescribed diet... you can lose weight before then, but really the fat burning action that takes place due to ketosis won't happen if you cheat along the way. Near the end of the diet, it's not going to make that huge of a difference, but for me personally, being the 52 BMI that I am , I am not risking not having the surgery over a few meals or food choices..... some people's livers are more fatty than others... you might not have had a really fatty liver in the first place if it was free of fat at surgery... I have known of 5 or so people that have been closed back up due to having too fatty of livers and not being able to be banded... they learned a hard lesson they all went back, followed the pre op liver shrinking diet completely and were able to be banded after all, but if you don't mentally make a committment to eat right and healthy and follow band rules, it won't be successful fo ryou in the long run. Those that eat around the band after surgery, tend to run a pretty high risk of slippage and losing their band after 3-5 years of cheating.... do yourself a favor... if your doctor prescribes a pre op diet... follow it.... the risk is not worth it, no matter what you hear about others that cheat... you don't know shape your liver is in. Hope that helps... good luck to all of you! I just started my pre op liver shrinking diet 3 days ago, feel great and WON'T CHEAT! I am committed!

Kammi in Everett, WA

A couple of things... some of the pre op diets are for some different reasons.... one is to shrink the liver, one is to prepare you for your new lifestyle of eating and another is to cleanse the liver prior to surgery.... most people only really need to be on a pre op diet if your BMI is 45 or higher... but do follow your own doctors orders, that's the best.... with a liver shrinking diet.... your body only goes into ketosis (a fat burning mode) with 14 consecutive days of following the prescribed diet... you can lose weight before then, but really the fat burning action that takes place due to ketosis won't happen if you cheat along the way. Near the end of the diet, it's not going to make that huge of a difference, but for me personally, being the 52 BMI that I am , I am not risking not having the surgery over a few meals or food choices..... some people's livers are more fatty than others... you might not have had a really fatty liver in the first place if it was free of fat at surgery... I have known of 5 or so people that have been closed back up due to having too fatty of livers and not being able to be banded... they learned a hard lesson they all went back, followed the pre op liver shrinking diet completely and were able to be banded after all, but if you don't mentally make a committment to eat right and healthy and follow band rules, it won't be successful fo ryou in the long run. Those that eat around the band after surgery, tend to run a pretty high risk of slippage and losing their band after 3-5 years of cheating.... do yourself a favor... if your doctor prescribes a pre op diet... follow it.... the risk is not worth it, no matter what you hear about others that cheat... you don't know shape your liver is in. Hope that helps... good luck to all of you! I just started my pre op liver shrinking diet 3 days ago, feel great and WON'T CHEAT! I am committed!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Wow! KamiCola! Good job!!! And what great advice! I agree with you all the way! :)

Thanks, but I want everyone to be successful bandsters and the rates are alarming on those that are having troubles later on or are losing their band..... all due to eating and drinking around it over time... good luck to all of you!

Kammi in Everett, WA