Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i'm 8 days out, and I'm on liquids for 4weeks so 1 down 3 to go. I've cheated a bit I had some mashed potatoes and creamed spinich and a banana. All went down just fine, however it does bother me that I couldn't do it not even for a week. I'm getting hungry more often now and that makes it really hard. I understand that we all have eating issues that's why were overweight but the self control issue is getting to me. I really just want to say screw it and eat a sandwich. I know it could possibly hurt me and I won't but I'm going crazy here. How did you all do it? I know skinny feels better blah blah. food taste good and I want to eat. Then the possibility of all the foods I might not be able to eat afterwards scares me. I want to be able to once in a blue moon enjoy a burger or some fries not always like before, but I dont' want to say no for the rest of my life i'm young. I'm irratated about it I miss food and it's only been a little over a week. I think I'm driving myself crazy cause I'm so head hungry and mad I can't eat. I just wish it didn't feel like forever till I can eat something and then I might puke or have something get stuck and feel sick. I thought long and hard about this surgery but I never thought I would feel this irratated afterwards. I'm also a little scared that maybe just maybe I'll be one of those that it doesn't work for. I really don't think I will be it's pretty much been quantity that is my problem so with a smaller stomach, weight loss should be easy, but what if it just doesn't come off? I really think lack of food is making me insane.:cursing:

Alicia, I am right there with you. I was banded on April 14th and already started to "cheat" by having mashed potatoes, egg salad and sweet potatoes. The rest is just pudding, Jello, creamed Soups, yogurt and cottage cheese. I miss food soooooooooooo much. I know that in another month, I will be able to try and eat normal foods..but it is so hard right now. And my first fill isn't until June 3rd!! So I am trying my best to control my portions until then. It just seems an eternity away from now and to know that I am going to feel hungry for another 3 1/weeks is just scary. When I get to a low point, I just try and think about how happy I will be in another few months. It helps. Good luck with everything. We can all do it. It's frustrating as heck, but it will be worth it in the end.

May I ask a question of both of you......were you on liquids before surgery? Just curious because if you had say a two week liquid before and a 4 week after I can certainly see why you would cheat. That is a long time. Even so it will take a while to retrain the way you look at food and deal with food. From what I have read after surgery you are either hungry or totally not hungry. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I think also while your body heals it might crave more too.

For me it was almost like a sensory deprivation issue. I missed the sensations of eating. I had no hunger and I still don't.

You'll be fine. Keep busy. Keep your eye on the prize. I had two weeks of liquids (clear and full) before and four weeks after surgery. If I can do it so can you.

amc581. I'm feeling the same way too. I was banded 4/28. I think I had somewhat of a panic attack the other day thinking about not being able to eat prime rib again. I just read a post about someone not being able to eat Swedish Fish. I love Swedish Fish and forever just seems too long to go w/out them. I'm hoping that once I could start eating a little, I'll feel better but right now, I'm grieving over the loss of food.< /p>

I am new to all of this so is it standard that you do 1 to 2 weeks of liquid before the surgery, what else do you have to do before the surgery? I assume there is couneling? work with a dietition? I of course need to find out if my insurance will even cover it, did anyone have issues with that? I have good insurance with the state and hubby has blue cross so I suspect it will be covered

Thanks everyone, I took a 25 min walk the longest since i've been banded, and talked with my friend. I'm not saying it will help always but atleast it got me away from the refrigarator and thinking about food. I guess that's really the key is just keeping my mind busy. I know this but it's so hard to not just eat. especially when I see posts where people are already back to real food or mushies and had my date. It makes me think " well if they were ok then it's no big deal", but it is. I made the commitment I need to follow through. I'm just going to try and occupy myself when the erge gets to be too much.

ready to change: I did not have to be on a liquid diet before my surgery for long just 2days prior, so I havn't been dealing with this liquid thing long. I honestly don't think I could have done it, I would have sooo cheated and probubly binged. It really just depends on the surgeon what they require.

Your going through fat detox. The best thing to do is keep busy. I know after surgery when you are laid up it seems that television only has food commercials and it looks soooo good. You did the best thing you went for a walk. All the foods you mentioned you will be able to have just in small portions and chewed up really good. Your going to be fine!

Okay....

I'm going to tell you what I told myself when I messed up.

I cheated, damn it, but I can't go back and uncheat. I have to own that I cheated, owned that I was weak, and then be stronger. I will get back on track and do right starting now.

i know this sounds crazy, but over time you get a whole new outlook on foods and what used to be your favorites arent that big of deal anymore....replace your bad habits and obsessing over favorite foods with cleaning a junk drawer or a closet out or taking a walk or writing someone you havent talked to in a long time and just follow the rules and in time it just all seems to make sense. you just kind of let go of food over time....(if you are properly filled)

...i hope this helps.

I agree with hairband, over time you DO have a whole new out look and it's amazing the things you worry about now don't even enter you thought process.

As for the diet after being banded...Lordie I didn't have to stick to any "diet" I was told I could eat anything. I did try to do mushy foods and what not. Good-Luck! It's hard now but so worth it!

Hi Alicia...I got banded on Thursday and thought about running out of the hospital before the surgery to try to lose weight on my own just one more time (of thousands of times). This is the hard part...I actually started thinking about food today...we can do this...so many people say that they are hungry before their first fill....remember that your body is recovering and it is normal to want to eat...we can all use this tool to get the results that we want...Kathleen