Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long til your brain "clicked"?

Hello my fellow lapband lovelies!!

I wanted to put this question out there to all of you to see what everyone has to say about this... How long did it take until your brain just "clicked"?

What I mean by clicked is - realize you have to change your eating habits and ACTUALLY implement said change, commit to exercise, commit to making the best of your band?

I ask this because... I really don't think my brain has "clicked" as much as I want it to and tell myself that it should have I don't think it has. I want to say that I am trying so hard... but well willpower when it comes to food obviously isn't my strong suit or I wouldn't be where I am now. I KNOW I shouldn't have liquid calories (ie: Starbucks) or other treats frequently (I know it's okay once in a while but 4-5 times a week is not once and a while). I KNOW I should make better food choices in general yet I don't find myself making those choices even though I tell myself "I really shouldn't be eating this". Don't get me wrong I don't make bad choices all the time but it's definitely more than it should be. And then this definitely doesn't help the food choices thing - *I HATE COOKING* completely and totally hate it - it is the bain of my existance. It would probably be easier if I was just cooking for myself - but that's not the case.

Please tell me that it will come, that things will "click" and I can change. You'd think that shelling out the $14000 self pay would make my butt kick into gear faster... yet somehow it hasn't! lol.

I have some restriction but I'm not at my sweet spot - I'm hoping fill #4 this week will change that (I can eat anything I want at the moment, just not as much as before but the only thing stopping me from over indulging is me telling myself to stop eating - which doesn't work so good sometimes).

my brain still hasn't clicked, I constantly have to remind myself of what I should and shouldn't be eating , I guess old habits do die hard!

For me, it was the day I had surgery. I simply made the decision to do this the right way. Since I was going through surgery for it, which is HUGE for me (or anyone), I was simply choosing to do it right and not look back...like turning on a light switch. Have I had slip-ups? You better believe it! But in the first six months after banding, I could count the number of times I "cheated" my band on one hand with fingers left over. (Mint Milk chocolate covered Oreos is the most memorable one! HEAVEN!)

After that, I had to start getting creative to keep my body guessing so it would continue to lose. I'm still doing that. And it's working! Currently I am in a size 10, with my ultimate goal being an 8. I hope to be there by my first bandiversary on June 8th!

Many will fight me on this, but I truly believe it is simply a matter of choosing. Once you do, the decision is made and you simply implement it. If you sit around and think about it, or think about willpower and the likes, it will be very difficult. If you are thinking about willpower, or talking about willpower...you probably don't have willpower. I don't have willpower...I WANT WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT IT! But I can make a decision and formulate a plan to accomplish it. That plan is nothing more than deciding how many calories to take in in a day, how many grams of protein/carb/fat will make up those calories, finding which foods fit the bill for that, and how much exercise to get. Then, like Nike says, "Just Do It!" Don't think about it. Then you won't miss anything at all except the extra weight!

You can do it!

Edited by TexasFire67

Stefanie,

If I lined up all my fingers and toes and threw in a few extra I'd not be able to count how many times I "cheated my band" because I'd not have enough fingers/toes. :thumbup:

Thank you for your input, you have done great and I hope to be able to get this show on the road. I have decided to actually meet with a therapist and see if they have any info that they can help with (actually trying to kill 2 birds with one stone - food/eating issues and hair pulling -I'm an eyelash/eyebrow puller).

I would say mine was surgery day as well. Coming out of the anesthesia and feeling sooooo much pain. I realized this just wasn't worth it. That I let myself get to this point of needing surgery. It also helps that I haven't had alot of cravings and no matter how restricted I am, I still feel like I am eating too much, even though I am not.

Wow, great for both of you - wth is wrong with me that mine didn't click surgery day LOL

I'd encourage you to have a talk with your doctor about your need for treats. it may well be that there is a way to tweak your eating plan that's helps deal with that. I can't speak for others, but when I'm on a low carb diet with sufficient fat in it, I experience very little need to munch. I've been reading Dr. Paul O'Brien's book - he's the researcher/surgeon in Australia that has done more studies on the Lap Band than anyone else I know of. What he emphasizes over and over again is that if something is getting in the way of you losing weight or doing what you're supposed to, you should talk to your doctor about it. Don't assume this is just you being an undisciplined bum.

I'd also encourage you to understand the mechanics of weight loss and weight gain. Because if you know what catalyst you're unleashing every time you drink a Starbucks drink or snack on something you shouldn't, it may make it easier to avoid that stuff. The first problem with coffee or tea is the caffeine. Studies have found that drinking caffeine with Breakfast makes blood sugar levels spike through out the entire day - including a 36% spike after dinner. When your body has lots of glucose floating around in it, your pancreas releases insulin to convert all of that energy to fat. With Snacks - particularly processed food - you're causing your blood sugar to rise quickly, and that's food that's going to be plastered directly to your hips, thighs and tummy.

Here's a 60 second video from the mayo Clinic about how food turns into glucose and what happens from there.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-sugar/MM00641

And here's an explanation of the whole process from Calories Per Hour:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php

"Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body’s cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their Fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it".

Watch the video a few times. Reread the text. The next time you're tempted to snack on something you shouldn't, remember that stuff. Thinking about your fat cells getting fatter because you're drinking Starbucks will likely slow you down as least part of the time. Remember, that drink isn't bad for you just because it's calorie dense and liquid so it slides through your band easily, it's bad for you because it has caffeine and that caffeine may very mean that your body holds on to MORE of the calories you eat ALL DAY LONG. As for Snacks, they're processed and quickly broken down by your body, so your blood sugar will rise rapidly in response, and your body will store more of what you eat as fat.

And talk to your doctor. See if he/she has any advice for you or if they want to make some changes in your diet.

I am not sure at what point my brain clicked, or if it has. I do have the advantage of not having a sweet tooth, so cakes and other sweets don't tempt me. But put me into the same room with a pizza, and I feel weak. I did taste it since surgery, cutting a piece in half so I had a small triangle, but the dough sat in my chest like a stone. It eventrually passed, but the bread part I am not ready for. So I went to the store, bought Hormel Turkey Pepperonis and a jar of pizza sauce. I have Kraft Fat Free shredded mozarella at home, so I plan to put some pepperonis on a plate, cover with pizza sauce and ff mozarella, and heat in the microwave. It is really the toppings I crave. I saw a similar recipe for those craving lasagna: ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, cover with 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce, sprinkle Parmesan cheese (optional) and heat in the microwave.

I was on a liquid diet with a small amount of lean Protein until four days before surgery, then just liquids, pluse two weeks liquids post surgery. That really jump started my weight loss. I was down 35 lbs by surgery and have lost 25 more since (banded 3/25). I purchased a couple books, The Lapband Connection and The Lapband Companion, and there are several meaninful quotes from them hanging over my desk at work. One is "Just because I can eat it, doesn't mean I should" and "Just because I don't eat it, doesn't mean I don't want to" and then "The band is not around your lips, it is around your stomach. It cannot keep food out of your mouth. Only you can do that." I work in a medical office and we have luncheons all the time, so the temptation is there. I always go look, but only take a little salad. I really try to keep my eye on the prize. I want to eliminate or reduce the medicine I am on for several co-morbidities, and this is the path for me. I have lost 60 lbs so far, working toward 100. I try to look at the food I shouldn't eat as a barrier to my success. I still lust after some foods a bit, so I am a work in progress, as are many on this site. Just keep your eye on the prize. Is that trip to Starbucks worth the emotional beating you will give yourself?

Ang... I think that in life everything is about consequences. I do have treats... I wish I could say I don't... like the others. HOWEVER, I've lost most of the weight I wanted to lose, and I make sure that I'm still losing slowly now (1/2 pound -1 pound a week) My doctor was ready to put me on maintenance... but, I said no... I'm not ready for that. I'm not sure what his maintenance plan would be... but, I'm happy working out... restricting my eating to good food... and having a small treat almost daily. NO, I'm not eating a whole pie... but, I do have icecream, or maybe a dark chocolate with Peanut Butter. Should I be doing this... NO... did I do this a year ago when I got the band... NO... but, I do now. If I see the scale go up... OR not go down... I cut out any treats. The reason I do have the treats I love is because I'm not having a consequence from it. If you are not losing... then that's the consequence. It all depends on what you want, and what you are willing to do to get there. Will I be happy for the rest of my life a size 12/14... YES! So, my eating a treat isn't a consequence for me. But, is it a consequence for you? If it is... then you have to think if you TRUELY want a change. Some people don't really want to change, and they do things like this to sabotage what they "think" they want. Ask yourself.... do I want to lose weight?

My mind clicked on the exercise. Done. Good job. I'm committed and I'm doing it regulary, faithfully every week. I feel better when I go.But...... My mind just hasn't gotten there yet on the diet thing. I have to say I'm good 90% of the time. But I still have a glass of wine a couple times a week when I come home stressed out. I have a weakness for chips WAY more often that I care to admit, and I haven't been diligent switching out my white rice for brown, my white potato for red and sticking to whole grain choices. My Water is good. My Protein is good. I only eat FRESH veggies, and eat a wonderful variety. So I have strong areas of committment and strength/resolve and weak areas. I don't weigh or measure my food. I just use a small plate. so am I a bad bandster? Probably. But I have faith that as time passes it will get easier and become more like second nature. Did you learn to read and write overnight? I didn't, so I think there is a learning curve involved for some of us. When I look back at where I came from, I've made terrific progress, and I have to focus on that. If I don't, I'll give up, and I'm not ready to do that. I don't know everything about the band yet. YOu all out there help me to see things, understand, educate, support, direct, understand and yes even love. I'm not on this journey alone, and I thank God for the technology to be able to touch base with you when I need it. With your help I'll get there. I have no doubt.

my brain clicked when i had restriction, started losing my hair...wasn't eating right, but was losing a LOT of weight, and fast...about 4 months after surgery..

then i was pregnant, unfilled, miscarried, refilled, and waiting for a click again..drinking with food, eating/drinking sugar, etc.

Ang - I didn't have any tips for you as I am pre-op...

I hope it will click for you soon. It is tough with the Lap Band - especially since we can pretty much eat whatever we want, just slower. For one, we don't get the caloric malabsorbtion like with other bariatric surgeries. AND we don't get the dumping syndrome like the the bypass - which is a major deterrent to cheating. We do - occasionally (from what I have read) get things "stuck". But there is a way around that - chew more. Some banders (I know 2 personally) don't even get that full feeling.

Bottom line, Lap Band patients need to work harder to lose weight. When I went to my appointment for pre-admission testing, my nutritionist said something that stuck. She told me to treat my "how to be successful with the Lap Band" book - like a bible - live it and breathe it - DO IT. Think of it as a new start. I am being given an opportunity to have what I have always wanted. Why would I mess it up? What would I do something that can possibly stop my dream of being healthy and "normal" from becoming a reality. I HAVE THE CONTROL. That stuck with me. I posted reminders around my house with the word CONTROL. That's what it is all about. The tool will be there, but it is ultimately on me.

I know it is just too easy to eat the wrong things, especially for us - we have always been able to pig out and get away with it - while gaining weight. It may take more planning and regimens. I hate cooking too - my husband does most of it - but you may need to cook and plan more...it is probably a requirement. You will then have CONTROL over what you are eating. Planning will be important too. I know for a FACT I will need to plan my meals for the week and pack lunch everyday. I am an executive assistant and I pretty much pick up lunch and coffee for my team everyday. Without my "own meals" and Snacks, it will be too easy to eat something bad. I refuse.

Hang in there! I wish you success - I have been following your blog, you are doing really well! You are losing weight. I can't wait to be where you are. I have never been able to lose more than 20 pounds EVER! - at least with the band, we will achieve weight loss!! It will click - have faith. :thumbup:

Everyone - thanks for posting what you did, it has given me a lot to think about. My surgeon (despite being fantastic) didn't really provide me with a lot of info or a "lapband bible" so I've kind of been goin it alone in that regard.

I'm not a snacker, I don't randomly snack on things throughout the day (althought sometime I do snack but generally not)- I only eat at meal time usually it seems to be what happens at meal time is where I make bad choices.

I told myself when I had the surgery that it was a fresh start yet I've somehow not seized control of that thought - I am hoping that seeing someone about it will help to teach me how to do that.

I haven't "clicked" yet and I am almost 2 years out! I was self-pay also and had a slip and that still wasn't enough to slap me into shape!Honestly, the only thing that helps me is proper restriction. I just got refilled after 3 months of being unfilled. During that time, I realized I haven't changed a bit and leaving me to my own devices, I will eat whenever and whatever I want. Head hunger is a demon! I also am lazy and won't exercise. Since my fill last week, I got back on my stationery bike and am making better choices because I physically can't eat too much. I am more of a volume eater than a junk eater, so cheating with bad foods isn't my style. I just plain enjoy eating and will eat several helpings! I have tried hypnosis, counseling and other things to address my issues and I know that it is a daily battle for life. It is not something that I cure, but manage. I hope I haven't discouraged you! That being said, I did reach goal a few months ago. During my unfill I gained 12 pounds which I hope to have off again by my 2 year bandiversary. You can reach your goal too-one day at a time.

I believe that my brain clicked in before my surgery and once I really realized the "chew" concept I had it down for sure. The exercise was already in place. I have done the professional dieting since age 3 so knew alot before the decision to band.

Banded: 10-19-08

High: 400+

Surgery: 276.5

Current: 199.5

Goal: 135

Edited by at last