Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone get the LB removed just because they don't like it?

Does anyone know if many people get their lapband removed just because they don't like it, not because there's a problem? i'm only reading about removal because of problems.

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Usually the reason for having it removed is because of very specific problems. I can't imagine wanting to have it removed if there are no problems and it is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Interesting question, though.

I'd have to agree with Susan. I would imagine that it would depend upon what you mean by "not liking it". If there were some very specific problems with it, well, that would certainly cause you to not like it!

Now, if by "not liking it" you are referring to someone being uncomfortable with having a foreign object in their body, well, that makes sense, and I'm sure that there HAVE been people who have experienced that kind of discomfort. It is a known psychological disorder that makes some people panic or react in some way when something is placed in them like that. Even things like earrings. So, I am certain that there have been people who have had the band removed for that reason, but I have never personally heard of such a case.

Unfortunately there is no way to test the band prior to having it put in. If there were, I'm sure (judging from some posts on this forum) that some people would opt out. It's just like anything else, not for everyone.

My doctor told me about someone who wanted the band taken out just because she didn't want it any longer. No reasons, she just didn't want it and paid to have it taken out.

To each his own.

I'm having mine removed after only 5 weeks. I hate the way it makes me feel! However, I think my symptoms are unusual. I am having problems swallowing (there is no fill in my band), I get hungry and need to eat but food does not appeal at all (forcing myself to eat), I have no energy although I exercise 2 times a day, and yes I hate the idea of having this foreign object in me. I also am scared to death of the PBing (which has not happened, knock wood). So my darling husband is taking me back to Mexico to have it removed in 5 days! I wonder if anyone out there is happy to have theirs removed?

Hi Angelface,

I am having my band out very soon-it should already be out but my doctor left the practice and I have to go to one of his partners, so there is a little delay. My band is slipped, which is the official reason it is coming out, but I am SOOOOO glad to be getting it out. I have had it since 2003, and have kept about 40 pounds off of the 82 I lost. The band is not a good fit for me. If I had of had the option, I would have had it out months if not years ago. For me, it a very frustrating way of life. I know it works for many, many people and I am so glad for them. I really don't like having something foreign in my body-it kind of freaks me out. It is so hard to eat a lot of good things, and so dang easy to eat the crappy stuff. I am very excited to be getting the band out, and will immediately start Weight Watchers again, and have joined the YMCA. And, my 5 year old LOVES doing my Richard Simmons Sweatin' To the Oldies with me-she is great motivation! Back to your original questions, I know 7 people personally who have been banded. Of those, 4 of us would have it out in a heart beat. Good luck!

I will say first off that I intend to offend no one with my post, however I am sure that some may have their feathers ruffled. I don't point fingers and I ~do~ understand that this banded journey is different for everyone...

That said....

There is most definitely a mental side to having a band and learning to live with it. Is it hard to grasp the idea of something inside our bodies? Sometimes... Is it hard to wrap our heads around the idea of restrictive eating? Sometimes... Is it frustrating to live with something that makes chicken your best friend 1 day and your worst enemy the next? Sometimes... Is it physically uncomfortable? Sometimes... Does it make us throw up, sometimes in situations that cause you to want to crawl under a rock? Sometimes...

These are all things that you need to think long and hard about ~BEFORE~ you ever decide to get a band. I am a firm believer in a psychiatric consult before banding. Sure, some things may slip thru the cracks, but if you deal with someone who knows the ins and outs of living as a banded person and understands how different people react to banding, the cheance of having your band removed because you decide you 'don't like it' or 'it's hard to deal with' or 'it's a weird thing inside my body' diminishes greatly.

I feel that there are some Dr's who will do this surgery for anyone because of the cash, regardless of if they fell the person is a good candidate mentally....and then they'll take it out for some more cash. It costs nothing to the surgeon to have patients attend a psych consult, unless of course the psych deems them unsuitable.

I ~especially~ think that anyone being banded and covered by insurance should be psychiatrically evaluated. I have no problem paying insurance premiums that are used to help you get the band and make you healthier (and save me money in the long run) however I would be seriously pissed off if I helped pay for your band only to hear that you've decided a year later that you don't like some foreign little thing inside you and now you want it out.

Please keep in mind that the opinions expressed are just mine and take it as you will....but I personally think that if a person chooses to have the band removed just because they don't like it, they weren't well enough informed and didnt think it thru.

Patricia

Interesting comments. Being a self pay I can't imagine having it removed when I had to pay so much to get it, unless it was really harming my health. I guess everyone must do what they feel is best so good luck and think carefully before you do or before you don't.

I think all the reading/researching in the world can't always prepare you for what it will actually be like once you are banded. It's different for everyone and there are also things that come up that aren't quite expected. I also don't know if any psych eval can prevent all those that might have adverse reactions from being banded. Definitely more of a risk if you're self-pay. I've been banded and now have the RNY which basically you cannot "remove" but like most of you I chose the lapband due to it's non-evasiveness and it just wasn't the right procedure for me. I do believe though that it made the transition to RNY easier than it would have if I had not gone through all of that before. It's easy to judge others and their issues until you have something similiar. Good luck to all of you Nancy.

I didn't put in my post that there are obvious reasons for having the band removed. If there are health reasons I have ~absolutely~ no qualms that the band be removed if deemed medically necessary.

I completely realize that a psych evaluation is not going to stop medical complications that may arise and contribute to the removal of the band, however they are trained to ask the right questions and look for the right/wrong responses to see if a person is mentally ready and able to adjust to living with the band.

I self-paid for my band (over $16,000) and I will admit that there are some days I do ~not~ like the little sucker 1 iota !!! However after living within 25 lbs of my goal weight for alomst 2 years, unless I develop some kind of medical reason, I'll put up with the frustration and effort it sometimes takes to live with it.

Patricia

I wish you luck Patricia. The main reason I worry about self pay with the band is when people have complications and are not covered by insurance to deal with those, like removals or emergency situations that they don't expect beforehand. Hopefully you won't have that problem. I personally would not have done the band if I had to pay for it out of pocket but I realize many people do.

In some respects I think some people get lucky with their band situation. It works well as they expected and they're able to lose weight and keep it off and never have a complication. On the other hand there are many where it was just as hard to lose weight as it was before they were banded and/or have other complications too and this is not what they expected. Take care and I hope continued success with your band, Nancy.

I LOVE my band. I feel like it's my partner in my lifelong war on obesity. I feel like FINALLY I have something in my body that's on MY side! :tongue_smilie:

Logically, if there are people like me who feel that way, there will be people who HATE it.

I grappled with the "do I want something foreign in my body" question before I got it; but we're not all of us equally self aware, frankly. I had years to mull over the band; that may have given me an "edge".

I will say it must be absolutely horrid to have a band installed and wish it were gone. That must be miserable; and as judgmental as people can be about getting it, I'm sure they can be as bad about getting rid of it.

Let me say this first....the band has helped me get my life back. after losing weight that i couldnt lose for over 20 years.....i feel like a normal member of the human race. i am no longer the fatest person in the room.

i will say while i was losing the weight.....i was thrilled with the band despite issues i had.

i have had issues that my doctor has never heard of...ie. i cant eat sitting down, i have trouble eating on/off even without having a fill.

recently...i am starting to feel like i cant live like this forever. however i know if i take the band out....i will gain the weight back.

before the band i thought about food 24/7. i think physiologically i couldnt stop eating. the band definitely helped me in this area...as i dont think about food alot.

so....i was looking into the sleeve. a few gals have switched over to that and seem happy. however i dont like the idea of my stomach being cut.

for now...the band will continue to be my friend.

i have to say when i wanted the band initially...no amount of info about the "issues" of being banded would have stopped me. i think i just needed to go through this process.

patricia, i thought your post was very thoughtful. from the way you kept mentioning that this was your opinion... i'm guessing you may have experienced people going after you after you post your experience. i have as well. for a long time i wouldnt post because i feared getting attacked on here...but i've gotten over it. as long as we share our experience how can people do this....thanks for your input

josie