Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgery Check-In

I'm a Bandster!! :biggrin2: Surgery was 3 hours, w/ hernia repair. The first night in the hospital, had my own Morphine button! :) At home I slept for the next three days, thanks to the Percocet! The pain now feels like puncture wounds. I mean surface pain, except the port feels deeper. Wish I could bend over and tie my shoes :blink:. I still have the GAS, enough to clear a room :laugh:. I know TMI, but so far I've only had some left shoulder discomfort. I need to walk more because it's getting worse. The Clear Liquids made me very weak, and sick. Lack of sugar, according to the surgeon. Once I had my first Protein Shake on day 7, I started feeling better. Today is day 10 and I'm getting stronger everyday.

Shannon, sorry about the longer recovery time and scar. This is my third laparoscopic type surgery, so I now have 12 scars. I'm a human pin cushion! That's not going to stop me from wearing a bikini once I'm at goal! :thumbup:

Good luck to All!!

Edited by Seattlelight
Spelling

Seattlelite: I feel the same way as you...a human pincushion. I have had 2 hernia repairs prior to my lap band surgery as well as laporascopic tubal ligation. I don't think that I will be wearing a bikini any time soon!!!

I had a very bad reaction to morphine. Once they took me off of that, I was fine with percocet.

Glad to hear that you are on your way to a healthier you!!!!

I loved the morphine, although at the hospital I was at, I had 6+ injections for anti nausea into my iv, 2 in my stomach, and a patch, then after surgery I had an injection into my iv of anti nausea meds once an hour, they were really prepared for any cases of nausea, I was blissfull, then when I got home and started on the percoset, I was super nauseous and felt awful until I stopped the percoset. Everyone reacts to different meds differently. Glad everyone is doing well now though!!! Congrats Seattlelight! I'm with you with the bikni thing!!!!!!!

I was banded on May 27th. All went well and life is pretty much back to normal. Still on the post-op liquids and start the puree foods next week. The only problem I have had is I can't seem to get enough liquid and protien during the day. I am thankful I didn't have any problems with the gas settling in my shoulder and the pain was minimal. LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

Protein really helps in healing so try to push it best you can. I was supposed to get in 77 grams because of my weight, but got in around 60-65. Also, I've found there's protein in some broths etc. so it all adds up. Once you get to mushies it will be easier.

For post-op Protein I am using a product called Prostat. It's liquid with 15gm of protein in 1 ounce. You can find it on-line (I ordered mine from CVS) and it's reasonable. Check with your dietician or surgeon and see if you can add that. I took 1 ounce 4 times a day with my clears to keep me at >60gms of protein a day. Even now that I am on puree if I miss the mark I add some and make sure I get my 60gms of protein. The protein is really what makes me feel full and Gwen is right is is essential for healing.

Hi, I was banded on 5/20 and am doing well -- I think I'm finally over the shoulder pain!! I was loving my heating pad, as that was the only thing that helped!

I'd love to hear other's experiences on two questions.... first, how are you all getting the Water in?? I'm supposed to drink 64 oz. a day. I'm lucky if I get in two or three glasses of water! I've gotten rid of 20 pounds since surgery, but I wonder how much of it is not enough water!!

And the second question... does anyone else have the feeling that they have a packet of splenda in their mouth? My mouth seems to have this sweet taste most of the time. At first I thought it was because I started to have cravings for chocolate or Cookies about a week ago, but then I read that it's because of the ketosis. What do you all think? Is it head hunger or something else?? It's a mystery to me!!:tongue2: And I'm really not feeling hungry -- my doctor put 3cc's in my 10cc band when he banded me and I feel pretty restricted/full after 4 bites of something, whether it's pudding or chicken. Anyone have similar experiences??

Hi, I was banded on 5/20 and am doing well -- I think I'm finally over the shoulder pain!! I was loving my heating pad, as that was the only thing that helped!

I'd love to hear other's experiences on two questions.... first, how are you all getting the Water in?? I'm supposed to drink 64 oz. a day. I'm lucky if I get in two or three glasses of water! I've gotten rid of 20 pounds since surgery, but I wonder how much of it is not enough water!!

And the second question... does anyone else have the feeling that they have a packet of splenda in their mouth? My mouth seems to have this sweet taste most of the time. At first I thought it was because I started to have cravings for chocolate or Cookies about a week ago, but then I read that it's because of the ketosis. What do you all think? Is it head hunger or something else?? It's a mystery to me!!:( And I'm really not feeling hungry -- my doctor put 3cc's in my 10cc band when he banded me and I feel pretty restricted/full after 4 bites of something, whether it's pudding or chicken. Anyone have similar experiences??

U know this is the exact way I feel. After a few bites of anything i am so done... I also had a fill when the band was put in but i don't know how much was put in.. I will find out at my apt. on thursday and then find out if he is going to give me another fill as well.. sounds like u are doing pretty good..:(

I was banded on May 31st...my experience is much different than what I have read, due to the fact I did go to Mexico...I was on a liquid diet for the first week, and then moved to soft foods today. I have felt great. Didn't have any shoulder pain. I can't wait to get my fill, but I have lost 7 pounds all ready.

Hello everyone that's wonderful that you get full so fast. I've been banded for 11 days and I'm starting not to feel full. I've lost really well but I would say it's discipline. I'm always wanting to eat and I have to tell myself no. I've been on mushies this week and I have found that I'm hungrier than I was on liquids. Any suggestions? How much is everyone eating and one time? :confused2:

Hi guys, so today is day ten since my band. Most of my incisions are healing well, the lower portion of my large incision isn't healing well, it bleeds a wee bit every now and then and I will have my staples, all 40 of them taken out on the 16th. I am doing too much and find when I walk for long periods my weight pulls and I think that is what makes the incision pull a wee bit. So I am still on liquids I have another 20 days of clear fluids but can't seem to take 3 cups of broth and 3 Jello cups plus juice all in one day. A Jello cup lasts me two days. However I do get these feelings of wanting to chew my arm off, so hungry. But I battle through them and am doing ok. I just keep thinking how nice it will be to be on mushies! So yea I am doing a lot of sleeping, my back is so sore, I am reading a lot, watching a lot of movies and visiting with friends and family.

I am struggling however, I just keep thinking how different this journey turned out for me. I keep asking myself would I do it again if I knew this is what I would have to go through? I am envious of you all, your quick recovery and happy attitudes. I imagine if I could go out shopping watch a movie hang out more with friends, do more myself I wouldn't feel as down as I do right now. I was a crazy fun outgoing person like 12 days ago and now, I can't put into words how I feel.

I am just luck for all the support and love of my fiance, my friends and family...so the 16th hopefully for all my staples to be removed only if this wee bit of bleeding stops in the mean time. So I have been told, to sit, relax and do nothing, seriously the hardest thing I have ever had to do...

God I hope this doesn't sound like a sob story I know it will get better, just feels good to hear it from other people...thanks all

Hey Shannon, sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time!! Are you drinking anything with Protein in it? (there is a clear one called Isopure, that I've heard others talk about.) That would help with the wanting to eat your arm off! The other thing that I've heard is that the anesthesia can make a person moody. I know that it really has made me feel depressed. I've tried to go and sit out in the sun and read a funny book. It's getting a lot better -- I've been banded 3 weeks today! I hope it improves even faster for you!! And if you have any concerns about anything, call your doc -- they can help!

take care of you!

Diamond

It's all part of the journey. Take a good look at a lot of threads. Lots of people have problems along the way, but it all works out. I'm not comparing at all, but for me....I still don't feel 100%; there's constant gas, one of my incisions gave me a lot of trouble (healed finally after the surgeon fixed it) and on. For many of us, it takes 2-3 months to REALLY feel good again. Hang in there. There was a day when I said to my husband that maybe I should have just eaten the world and died sooner. But that was the angst talking. I'm gonna make it and so are YOU! Get well soon.....you'll be catching up and passing us soon enough.

It's caused by gas. Never had gas there before the surgery. Lots and lots of people get it. It's not fun. Does go away. But mine come back for a short time anytime I have very bad gas- which is often lately. I've decided it's because they make this tunnel of the tube and it opens a passageway to the shoulder. LOL. The official reason is that when one has abdominal surgery they blow up the area with gas in order to work. That gas has to move around until it dissapates. However, 7 weeks later, I'm still getting it.