Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing My Banding Nerve...Help!!!

:confused:Hi Everyone-

I went to a seminar with Dr. Schmitt in January and I was so motivated and ready to go I would have had the surgery that night if they would have let me. I don't know what has happened to me now... I read about problems on this website and all I do now is think about everything that could go wrong. I cancelled my appointment with Dr. Schmitt and I haven't rescheduled; I also quit going to my montly GP monitoring visits (I'm BC/BS). I know I have to have help or I am going to die from my fat. Did any of you have a time like this and then get yourself back on track? I'm scared to death I'm going to die on the operating table or have breathing trouble from being knocked out or have band slippage and have to go back to surgery. Also, did I understand correctly that BC/BS will not pay for any corrective surgeries associated with banding after the first placement one? Congrats to all of you that are doing so well; I'm so happy for you! Keep the good info coming.. some of us need really need to hear about your positive experiences!

BRAVO!, Super Moderator Jack... do you charge by the hour? Your wisdom and practical discussion parallels the exciting motivation of my first lap band seminar. I needed that verbal B-12 boost...and I know it will be just as good the second time around when I ponder your words over a cup of coffee. Thank You!

Yes that something that we all go through! I too have BCBS and had to do the 6 month thing. I know they have more than one reason for requiring that but I think one of them is because they know people will get tired of it and stop. If you qualify for the band and feel that the band will help you live a longer, healthier life... don't give up!! Fear is from the devil but is a real feeling! You can do it! Technology is amazing these days. They have all they need to take care of you!

I am 8 days post op and did get kind of fearful the week or so before. I had to remind myself that God SPOKE and created this earth! He can surely handle this. There are MILLIONS more deaths or long term disabilites due to car wrecks in a day!

Take your time but don't give up until you KNOW that you KNOW you dont want it.

Goodluck and keep us posted as you go!

Band of Hope - Count me in too! I have been dragging my feet on this but because of a couple of people here on the forum and the post from Jack, I have the courage to go forward this time! I have also gained more weight while dragging my feet, so I don't think my problem is going away and I have given up hope to wake up in a beautiful slim trim body! LOL I have several medical problems that were brought on by my excessive weight and now my knees are so bad I can' t get around good - it's either have knee replacement and still have the medical issues that are life threatening or have the lap band and start a new life. I DO HAVE AN ANXIETY PROBLEM but I think my weight has made it worse.

I am so glad that we have others here to support each other. I have let my weight rob me of my self esteem and I want it back !

Thank you Jack for the wonderful post and also to Andyisbanded who has also provided me with answers to several of my concerns!

Smiles,

Patricia

Hey, all of my southern friends!

I just thought I'd share a very short version of my story with ya'll.

I'm one of the few people that had complications. In an eight month period of time I had three surgeries, three blood transfusions, several infections, and 23 nights combined in the hospital. In the end, I lost my band due to erosion.

You know what? I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I wish things had turned out differently, sure, but I have never regretted the decision to have my lap-band. In fact, I'm hoping to get re-banded within a few months and risk going through it all again.

You take a gamble either way, but which hand do you want to bet on?

First hand: You continue to gain weight and live the rest of your life in the same or worse state than you are in now. You develop more life threatening co-morbidities, take more medications, and your quality of life decreases.

Second hand: You have a surgery that has a high success rate/low complication rate, most likely lose weight, your health improves, your quality of life improves, and you live longer.

This is just my experience and my opinion. Good luck to you in your journeys. I'm wishing you much success.:)

S Elaine, sounds as if you had every complication out there and yet you are still here to support others !! You are a very brave and precious person for telling your story and I'll keep you in my prayers for whatever decision you make on being Successfully Rebanded - if anyone deserves for everything to go right - it's certainly you!

Do you mind telling me what part of Alabama you live in, I live in NE Alabama?

Smiles,

Patricia

Wow, Patricia, thank you for the kind words. That really means a lot to me.

I'm actually not in Bama. I live in Arizona and just happened to notice your post today. I've spent some time in Alabama, though. I have relatives there-- mostly in the Mobile area. I was awarded a nursing scholarship to the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) many, many years ago, but I messed that up by running off with my then-boyfriend in the military. Life has a way of working out, though, and we're always better off for the lessons we learn along the way. :thumbs_up:

Hi Y'all and thanks for the comments. I had my first visit at Dr. Schmitt's office last Friday. Now it is up to me to complete my requirements and get things in order. I enjoyed meeting Lisa and she went over the ins and outs of Lap Band surgery. I didn't meet Dr. Schmitt, which surprised me. But, I have met him at a seminar and heard/read great things about him; he's an excellent Lap Band surgeon. I will not see him until two weeks before my surgery. I was told that it would be good if I could loose 40 pounds before my surgery (I've had one actual weigh in at my OBGYN that counts) so that gives me about 5 months to loose the weight. I have a fatty liver and Lisa said that the live is right where they need to put the band around my stomach and that the liver is the only organ in the body that can actually "loose weight". So, I've got to figure that one out. Oh, well... I wil say that I am sooooo scared and I would not be surprised if I backed out the day of surgery. I do not plan on it, but, I have a great fear of dying on the table and there is no way to sugar-coat how I feel. I think about dying on the table every day- but, I'll just have to get over it and go on. :confused:Such is life---

Bandofhope, I think there are lots of us that feel the same way. I have put this off for a while, but I am fully charged up now and I am going through with it this time. Please tell us why you think you might die on the table, maybe there will be some really wise member who will post some statistics for us here. I think I read where there had been no deaths associated with the band. Hope this helps, we are all here for you and you can voice your concerns to us and we will support you in every way. I will need your support when I get my six months of weight done. Did your doctor have any suggestions on how to loose the 40 pounds? The reason I am asking is that I have fatty liver too and was wondering if there is a specific diet plan that I need to follow to help my poor liver. All these years I thought I had been good to it because I didn't drink alcohol, I just didn't know that fat could also invade your liver!

Hang in there sweetie, we're here for you and just think, you could be bikini shopping this time next year!!:rolleyes2:

Keep the faith,

Patricia

Hi Y'all and thanks for the comments. I had my first visit at Dr. Schmitt's office last Friday. Now it is up to me to complete my requirements and get things in order. I enjoyed meeting Lisa and she went over the ins and outs of Lap Band surgery. I didn't meet Dr. Schmitt, which surprised me. But, I have met him at a seminar and heard/read great things about him; he's an excellent Lap Band surgeon. I will not see him until two weeks before my surgery. I was told that it would be good if I could loose 40 pounds before my surgery (I've had one actual weigh in at my OBGYN that counts) so that gives me about 5 months to loose the weight. I have a fatty liver and Lisa said that the live is right where they need to put the band around my stomach and that the liver is the only organ in the body that can actually "loose weight". So, I've got to figure that one out. Oh, well... I wil say that I am sooooo scared and I would not be surprised if I backed out the day of surgery. I do not plan on it, but, I have a great fear of dying on the table and there is no way to sugar-coat how I feel. I think about dying on the table every day- but, I'll just have to get over it and go on. :confused:Such is life---

Well, you know there is a risk with any surgery, whether it's lap-band or a hangnail. But, this "table" has to be safer than being on the table for a heart attack or stroke in an emergency situation, where nobody knows you or your history. And we know that's where we're headed, with just about 100% certainty. I look at my lap-band as insurance against that happening.

I can tell you this, you have chosen the best group to oversee this process for you and they will make you feel comfortable and take wonderful care of you. I, too, had to go through the six month ordeal and by the time I had my surgery date, I was so excited. I was never nervous the day of surgery and here I am three weeks later and I feel wonderful and so happy I'm on my way to being healthier.

As far as the liver, I didn't have to lose any weight beforehand, but in nutrition class we were asked to follow a low carb, low fat diet for a couple of weeks leading up to surgery to help shrink the liver. I lost some weight in those two weeks, so I would try and follow that diet. Or call and ask, they don't mind at all.

I was nervous just as you are before my surgery. I had never had any surgery before, never been put to sleep before, etc.

However, the comorbidities that I dealt with on a daily basis and the increasingly poor health of my mother convinced me that I had to do something.

I had surgery on March 14th and have lost over 35 pounds! Even that amount has made me feel better and has enabled me to get around better. I have also enjoyed getting new clothes.

The surgery itself was a breeze! I just felt like I had been doing a lot of situps. I have never had any problem at all with swallowing or eating anything ... pills, apples, whatever. I just get full after eating much less than I used to eat.

While sometimes I have been discouraged by slow weight loss, I realize that is what happens with lap band as opposed to gastric bypass. But I knew that before surgery.

I have had one fill (last week) and that seems to have helped a lot. I wish I had the surgery years ago!

I'm sure you have read the statistics and that your doctors office has given you information, but here is some info that is posted in the FAQs on this site:

Minimally Invasive Surgery

• Minimally invasive surgical approach
  • No intestinal re-routing, cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel as with gastric bypass
  • Often performed on an out-patient basis
  • Small incisions and minimal scarring
  • Reduced post-surgical pain, shorter hospital stay and recovery time
  • Return to work/normal activities typically within a week

Fewer Risks and Side Effects

• Ten times lower short-term mortality rate than gastric bypass1
  • Low risk of post-surgical nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
  • Reduced risk of hair loss
  • No "dumping syndrome" (food passes through the system too fast resulting in severe cramping/digestive disruption) related to dietary intake restrictions

Adjustable

• Allows for personalized steady, healthy rate of weight loss
  • No additional surgery for adjustments
  • Supports pregnancy by allowing for increased nutritional needs
  • Surgical weight loss option specifically designed for long term weight maintenance

Effective Long Term Weight Loss

• More than 350,000 Lap Band® System devices distributed worldwide
  • #1 selling adjustable gastric band for weight loss worldwide
  • Over ten years of medical studies and academic publications follow-up
  • Sets the "gold standard" of care for obesity treatment for hundreds of surgeons world-wide

Reversible

• While it is intended to be a long-term treatment, the Lap Band® System can be removed at any time, in some cases laparoscopically
  • Stomach and other anatomy typically return to their original state/functions

Good luck with your weigh ins ... just look forward to a future of better health after the surgery!