Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 4/24...here is my story...these helped me so I want to return the favor....

That was extremely helpful!!! Thanks! I am to be banded on 5/15 and am not staying the night so hearing of your adventure was just what I needed. I am in Richmond Virginia and will be operated at St. Mary's. Do you mind telling me where you are?

Best of luck to you! sounds like things are going great!

I am being banded on the same day...and i'm out patient also...

Hi!

I was banded on April 18/08 at the TLBC in Toronto. I don't have much weight to lose, but I'm tired of fighting and needed help. I surrender. I used to weigh 275 lb, lost 135 lb doing WW, and started to put on the lb back slowly. I was at 187, and I couldn't stop eating. It was time to act before going back to where I was. Although a bit anxious, I was very much at ease with my decision. My husband was also very supportive, but I didn't tell him until AFTER all the arrangements were made. I also didn't tell anyone else.

I lived about 90 minutes from the centre, so I arrived around 11 am. hoping I could go in early. My apt. was at 2 pm. My husband and 9yr old came with me. All the paperwork had been done previously, so I just had to wait patiently. I sent my husband and son the the Museum for a day of fun. The staff told him to be back by 5 h 30 pm and also took his cell phone number.

I saw many people in the waiting room. Some waiting for surgeries and some waiting for fills. All the fills ones were raving about their surgery, that they would do it again in a minute. Very reassuring when you just spent 18,000$. :-)

My Kindle kept me busy... good thing because I went in late around 2 h 45. I changed, weight in - I had lost 9 lb in a week on the preop diet. My blood pressure was very low, so the nurse took it twice to make sure. The dr came in, talked to me for about 10 minutes, then I walked to the OR room.

Met with the anesthesist, did the IV thing, put on the mask and woke up 2 minutes later or so it seems, but it was 45 minutes later. Not much pain other than my left shoulder. The recovery nurse said that all patients complained of that on that specific day.

I was observed for a couple of hours and discharged. In the meantime, the staff had called my husband and told him to come around 6 pm. I left the clinic at 6 h 30 pm with a Demerol prescription. The nurse recommended to have my blood pressure checked because it was a bit higher.

On Saturday, the shoulder pain was very bad, so I went to the walk-in clinic to have my blood pressure checked. It was getting lower. The physician checked my incisions and commented that I didn't need that surgery because I wasn't obese. I explained why I wanted the op. It was the first time he was dealing with a lapband patient.

During the night and on Sunday, the shoulder pain increased tremendously and I started to experience shortness of breath. Over 30 yrs ago, I had a pulmonory embolism, and the symptoms reminded me of that. So my husband drove me to the ER. I was put in the cardiac unit, had all kind of test (blood, EKG), then an MRI. The final diagnostic: it was the gas pains from the operation. I was told to take deep breath every 4 hrs and continue with the Demerol.

On Monday, I went to my own dr. He took my blood pressure and it was back to normal. The incisions were fine. I was still experiencing some pain, so he recommended that I took the week off from work. I took only 2 more days. He was the one who recommended the TLBC the month before and was very surprised that I already had the operation. It's also his first time dealing with a lapband patient.

From then on, I felt better, my tapes came off. There is an incision close to my belly button, and this one was more painful than the others because of my pants/panties were rubbing on it. One teacher at school suggested that I put a sanitary napkin over this and it did the trick.

I've lost 4 more lb, and my first fill is May 20th. I plan to continue my WW diet, but I know that the weight loss will be very gradual, probably 1 lb/week or less. But having this tool to help me, I feel more confident than ever that I will reach and stay at my goal.

Thanks for the details!!! My band date is May 13th and I can't wait!!! I am glad everything is going well.

I was banded on 4/30 in New Haven Ct. at the Hospital of St. Raphael.

I arrived at 10 am for surgery scheduled for 12 noon.

They got me into a Johnny coat and into bed and started an IV. After 100 questions from a nurse then anesthesiologist, they gave me the blood thinner shot in my stomach-it burned a little-not too bad.

The wait was a little long as I wasn't wheeled into the OR till @ 1pm.

In the OR they moved me to the operating table-a little scary seeing all the equipment and fuzzy people/nurses (I am blind without my glasses). They extended my arms to put in the monitoring equipment-blood pressure was done thru an arterial line, and hooked me up to a heart monitor.

After the face mask was put on and the nurse said it was just oxygen-ha! Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room.

this is where you aren't sure whether to wake up or sleep some more but they encourage you to wake up. Then it's up to my room in the hospital.

I was lucky to get a double room all to myself!

I immediately had to pee big time and jumped out of bed to the bathroom-this stunned the nurse who said no one ever does this! lol I didn't want to pee the bed again as I had in the OR! oops!

[They monitor your urine output-400cc/day is considered baseline.]

The pain was very bearable at the incisions-it was uncomfortable under my left breast (port?) for days afterward. I rated it a 6-7 on 1-10 scale. It was a sort of throbbing pain that came and went.

I did refuse my morphine for fear it would dry me out-to be honest this was the biggest inconvenience-being parched and only allowed swabs-I sucked that swab like it was a popsicle!

After only 15 mins or so they took me down to the x-ray lab to check on the band placement and then I was allowed the 1 ounce of Water per hour-just sips!

The worst part of that time after surgery was nausea-I got serious dry heaves 3-4 times so bad I wet the bed [again] each time...

I was trying to vomit but nothing but spit [sorry] and belches came up...very uncomfortable.

It got better if I kept the bed up-do not lie down after drinking that water!!!

The next day was better-I never tasted better tasting orange Jello ever!! lol

And that hospital chicken broth could have been made by Emeril himself!! I had them reheat it 3 times because of the slow rate at which you eat it, it gets cold quick!

I was discharged that day and allowed to progress to step 3-full liquids.

Now I'm home and the worst part is the gassing up and heartburn type discomfort.

It helps to sleep propped up with lots of pillows.

I found that low sugar/sugar free items work best-sugar increases the digestive juices which you don't want to do!

The homemade/strained pea Soup I just made is sitting very well-I thought it would gas me up but it seems to quiet my gut down a bit-especially the 'heartburn'.

Good luck everyone!!

I was banded 4/21 and my surgery was scheduled at 2:15 in the afternoon. They want you there 3 hrs ahead of time and of course you don't have anything to eat or drink from midnite the nite before. So needless to say I was hungry and thirsty. I kept thinking, I hope my surgeon is having a good day...lol.....they started the iv and all that....I kept waiting, 2:15 came and went, they said the person before me had taken longer than expected and it shouldn't be too long.....then at 5:00 I'm on my way. I was put off at the time, but it really wasn't that bad. Dr said he just had to take his time w/the previous patient and that I would be just fine...as he went to get ready for me, the anithesiologist and the assisting members of the team were snapping at each other I assumed the long day was getting to them (I'm thinking, oh shit this is great) but before too long I was given that oxygen mask and don't remember much until I found myself in my private room afterwards. I heard my son's voice, but I was still very out of it. When I finally started to wake up it was midnite or so and as much as I want to bitch about it, it was really nice, I took a little walk in the hall without all the hustle and bustle of the day and my nurses were able to give me more personal attention since most everyone else was asleep. I took full advantage of the demerol for pain...I didn't let myself hurt much at all before asking for it. I was released the next afternoon, and things have not been too bad since. I'm just starting mushies and do find myself hungry, but I understand at this point I'm healing and should feel more "restriction" after my first fill. I probably could have gone back to work last week, but decided to take the full two weeks and take it as easy as possible. I'm sure this is the best thing I've done for myself and look forward to being able to live a thinner healthier life.

Your info is very helpful. I am scheduled for banding on May 22. Nervous, excited, scared. I am going to a private clinic (not sure how it works in the States) soi I have to pay out of my own pocket. The only other option is to go on a 5 year waiting list for band surgery by the 1 doctor who does it in my province (I`m in Canada).

How have you been doing since your last post? My biggest fear is that I will fail, that this won`t work and I will have spent all this money for nothing (and my husband WON`t be happy...he thinks I should just try harder to lose the 100 plus lbs have to lose).

thanks!

Christine

Christine,

Hang in there. I am now 2 weeks post op. I am down 16 pounds and feel better. It does work. My port area was the hardest part. If it weren't for the port, I don't think I would even feel like I had surgery. That area is really sore and will be for a bit longer I think but it is healing nicely. I have had not problems with anything other than wanting to move on to a full diet sooner than they will let me.

This is the best decision I have ever made. Don't give up.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Though I will be taking the first step tomorrow (information seminar) and don't even know if I will be approved for this surgery, your posts have been very helpful in giving us a bird eye's view.

These post have been great. It is very cslming to hear how everyone's experience was. Thank you to all of you.

Helen