Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 4/24...here is my story...these helped me so I want to return the favor....

I love reading these!!! Thanks for the information!!! I only wish my experience will be like yours was!!! I wish everyone could take a few minutes to tell the expeience like you did...I really helps us get an idea of what's to come. :unsure:

Thanks for sharing - very informative. I agree with Lexy it would great to hear others experiences as well. This should be a sticky.

Well I made it and I will describe the details of my event on yesterday, May 1st to get my lap band.

1. I presented to the Dallas Regional Hospital at 6:45 in the morning. I had done all of my pre-op things the day before. I was taken back to the Day Surgery area where a nurse prepared me for my day's journey. Of course, I had to disrobe and get into one of the SEE MORE gowns. She attempted to start my IV x 2 attempts and could not get a vein. I did not have a Foley catheter for this. My vital signs were taken and another history was obtained to be sure they did not miss anything in RE: meds, past illnesses, complications from previous anethesia, etc.:)

2. After clearing this area, I was transported to a holding area right outside of the surgery suite. It was about 9:30am at this time.

The CRNA-nurse anesthesist came and talked to me and started my IV there. He asked me about my tolerance of anesthesia and my past medical history and meds that I was on,he was delighted to find out that I only took one prescribed medication for hypertension. A surgical nurse also talked to me and asked more questions, again to assure that nothing else was missed in RE: my personal history and my tolerance of anesthesia in the past and allergies to medications. She also asked me I needed to use the bathroom before I went into surgery. I was given a dose of Versed and taken into the actual surgery suite. All present; assisted me in transferring to the surgical bed and a mask was placed over my face and that was all that I remember. :thumbup:

3. I woke up in the recovery room and was told to cough and deep breathe, vital signs were taken as ordered every few minutes. When I became alert and all seemed well, I was taken back to the same nurse I started with in the Day Surgery area.:thumbup:

4. After I was there shortly I was taken to radiology to do a Upper GI with Gastrographin, to see where my band was. I had to drink several swallows of this vile stuff and the radiologist watched it go down. The radiologist notified my doctor that my swallowing was fine and that the liquid was going through the band . I was then taken back to the Day Surgery area. After all was well and I had used the bathroom and ambulated a couple of times, then I was told I could go home. I was discharged at about 3pm. I was given discharge instructions. My surgeon had already given me my pain med prescription- a Stadol Nasal Spay that works well.

5. The pain is compared to doing an excessive amount of sit ups. That is it. I feel bloated from the gas they inserted, but moving around helps that. Continue to cough and deep breath even after you get home, that helps clear the anesthesia from you. Use a pillow for splinting, so you can do good deep coughs and clear your lungs. I have staples in the small incision areas and they are covered with Band Aids.

But so far, so good!:thumbup:

Wow now that's what i'm talking about.... Thanks for the info.... I am so glad that u are doing ok... How does the port site feel now?

Well I made it and I will describe the details of my event on yesterday, May 1st to get my lap band.

1. I presented to the Dallas Regional Hospital at 6:45 in the morning. I had done all of my pre-op things the day before. I was taken back to the Day Surgery area where a nurse prepared me for my day's journey. Of course, I had to disrobe and get into one of the SEE MORE gowns. She attempted to start my IV x 2 attempts and could not get a vein. I did not have a Foley catheter for this. My vital signs were taken and another history was obtained to be sure they did not miss anything in RE: meds, past illnesses, complications from previous anethesia, etc.:party:

2. After clearing this area, I was transported to a holding area right outside of the surgery suite. It was about 9:30am at this time.

The CRNA-nurse anesthesist came and talked to me and started my IV there. He asked me about my tolerance of anesthesia and my past medical history and meds that I was on,he was delighted to find out that I only took one prescribed medication for hypertension. A surgical nurse also talked to me and asked more questions, again to assure that nothing else was missed in RE: my personal history and my tolerance of anesthesia in the past and allergies to medications. She also asked me I needed to use the bathroom before I went into surgery. I was given a dose of Versed and taken into the actual surgery suite. All present; assisted me in transferring to the surgical bed and a mask was placed over my face and that was all that I remember. :thumbup:

3. I woke up in the recovery room and was told to cough and deep breathe, vital signs were taken as ordered every few minutes. When I became alert and all seemed well, I was taken back to the same nurse I started with in the Day Surgery area.:thumbup:

4. After I was there shortly I was taken to radiology to do a Upper GI with Gastrographin, to see where my band was. I had to drink several swallows of this vile stuff and the radiologist watched it go down. The radiologist notified my doctor that my swallowing was fine and that the liquid was going through the band . I was then taken back to the Day Surgery area. After all was well and I had used the bathroom and ambulated a couple of times, then I was told I could go home. I was discharged at about 3pm. I was given discharge instructions. My surgeon had already given me my pain med prescription- a Stadol Nasal Spay that works well.

5. The pain is compared to doing an excessive amount of sit ups. That is it. I feel bloated from the gas they inserted, but moving around helps that. Continue to cough and deep breath even after you get home, that helps clear the anesthesia from you. Use a pillow for splinting, so you can do good deep coughs and clear your lungs. I have staples in the small incision areas and they are covered with Band Aids.

But so far, so good!:party:

That is fantastic as well..... wow... you all are doing a great job...:lol::thumbup::lol::thumbup::lol::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Port site is a little tender and the staples are worrisome. But it is still all tolerable.

That is cool... I am so proud of u... Thank's for sharring your experience... Trust me u help'd me more than you could ever imagine...:party::thumbup::party:

You are so welcome. It is difficult also because I am a nurse and I expect people to do their jobs. The nurse anesthesist came into the holding area looking at me like, "Another fat one." It was in his eyes and I told him he needed to sweeten his attitude before he tried to put me to sleep. I asked him if he had a problem, he barked back, "No I don't have any problems!"

I am very outspoken when receiving healthcare because I was taught from the old school almost 30 years ago and the lack of respect for patients that I see now is appalling. It makes me act real ugly. Plus I work for an insurance company and that makes me watch even more.

Wow u sound like my mother... and it is so amazing my mother would have been 54 september 28th.... She was the same way and so am I. Wow that is sad... I can't stand when people look at people with a tone like that...

I was banded today 5-2-08 and I was reading your message and it sounded like I was reading my experience.. I am happy to hear that it gets better with everyday!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

I was banded on April 24th at NYU Medical Center w/Dr. Fielding. I have nothing but great things to say about the experience there, and if you need top-notch care, I would definitely recommend them (no, I don't work there!).

My scheduled time was 9:30, and my husband and I arrived around 9. They did the admitting paperwork pretty quickly, then directed me to a room to change. My husband got to come with me, which was comforting. I got a gown, some no-slide socks and a hair net! Let me tell you, there is nothing like having your husband cat-call while you are dressed in this garb! So sexy.

Anyway, I was weighed (down 12 pounds on that nasty liquid diet!!!), then I went to the restroom. Next, the anesthesiologist came in. I don't remember his name, but he was FUNNY - and very calming. He explained exactly what he was going to do: put in the IV's, give me a shot of heparin, intubate me. He basically explained everything that was going to happen from his end and answered questions from both me and my husband.

Next, Dr. Fielding came in and said I would be next, in about twenty minutes, asked if I was ready, then left. It was at that moment when I realized that people actually DIE during surgeries, and I told my husband how much I loved him and that if anything went wrong, I wanted him to be happy.

Then, they came and got me and took me away. They told my husband that it would be about an hour and they would let him know. Instead of waiting in the waiting room, he was going to go to the Game Stop a few blocks away, but promised he'd be back in an hour...

When they took me into the operating room, it looked just like a movie set. They had me get on the table and lie down. The anesthesiologist was there and they went right to work putting in one IV in each hand. They were great, telling me along the way, "A little pinch here...a little stick here..." They put the inflatable leg cuffs on, and someone asked me what my favorite cocktail was. I told them I had just purchased a Margarita Machine, and someone said, "One Margarita, coming right up!" I was aware that I was getting ready to fall asleep.

Next thing I knew - it couldn't have been 2 minutes later - someone was gently shaking me, saying, "You're all done, blah, blah, blah..." I couldn't understand the rest of the sentence, but I knew she was joking because I just got there. NOPE, they were done! It literally felt as if I drifted off for a minute and it was over. Sort of like when you are watching the news when you are very tired and you see the beginning of the broadcast and the next thing you know, you are watching the end! Anyway, they asked if I could help scoot over to a gurney, and my mind was telling my body to move, but my body was not moving. It was a weird, weird feeling.

They wheeled me to the recovery room, which was basically a bay of people in hospital beds lining the walls. But it was quiet and peaceful. I was hooked up to the heart and breathing monitors, and the inflatable leg cuffs were still working away. My husband came in a few minutes later, and I was telling him that I could think and talk, but I couldn't move and he made some lewd comment. I tried to laugh, and that's when I noticed my throat was sore, and my belly was sore, and my left shoulder hurt. Hubby said he went to the game store and before he got back, they had come to get him. The whole procedure took less than 45 minutes.

I slowly got my senses and strength back - it took a couple of hours. Then they transferred me up to a room (NYU requires an overnight stay). I was really tired, so I slept for who knows how long until I needed to go to the restroom again. The nurse and my husband helped me up and that's when I realized how sore I was. I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. I have heard others say it felt like they did 200 sit-ups. I noticed a hand-sized black and purple bruise on my upper left arm and my nurse told me that was the heparin inject site. She said heparin isn't supposed to be injected intramuscularly, or it leaves giant bruises. I got mine.

After that, I was encouraged to walk around the hallways as long as I felt okay. I still had an IV, so I had the wheeled IV pole with me, shuffling along. My nurse said she thought there were 8 of us who had the banding done that day, and we would pass each other in the halls, smiling and chatting. Later, I was given this breathing machine and was told to use it 10 times per hour when I was awake. Hubby left, and I spent a lot of the night sleeping and looking out the window towards the East River wondering what my new life would be like, watching the tourist boats float by. As I was brushing my hair, I found the grayest hair you've ever seen, and was glad that I did something about my weight while still relatively young (42).

I was discharged the next morning, and have only had sharp pains in my left shoulder, and some discomfort at the port site - I feel like I have to put pressure on it sometimes when I bend over. But nothing major. I have only taken a few of the pain pills. Overall I feel great. I have noticed that I am drinking more than I thought I would be able to, but I also notice that I get a "full" feeling sooner that I used to.

That's my experience. So far.:frown:

I was banded on April 24th at NYU Medical Center w/Dr. Fielding. I have nothing but great things to say about the experience there, and if you need top-notch care, I would definitely recommend them (no, I don't work there!).

My scheduled time was 9:30, and my husband and I arrived around 9. They did the admitting paperwork pretty quickly, then directed me to a room to change. My husband got to come with me, which was comforting. I got a gown, some no-slide socks and a hair net! Let me tell you, there is nothing like having your husband cat-call while you are dressed in this garb! So sexy.

Anyway, I was weighed (down 12 pounds on that nasty liquid diet!!!), then I went to the restroom. Next, the anesthesiologist came in. I don't remember his name, but he was FUNNY - and very calming. He explained exactly what he was going to do: put in the IV's, give me a shot of heparin, intubate me. He basically explained everything that was going to happen from his end and answered questions from both me and my husband.

Next, Dr. Fielding came in and said I would be next, in about twenty minutes, asked if I was ready, then left. It was at that moment when I realized that people actually DIE during surgeries, and I told my husband how much I loved him and that if anything went wrong, I wanted him to be happy.

Then, they came and got me and took me away. They told my husband that it would be about an hour and they would let him know. Instead of waiting in the waiting room, he was going to go to the Game Stop a few blocks away, but promised he'd be back in an hour...

When they took me into the operating room, it looked just like a movie set. They had me get on the table and lie down. The anesthesiologist was there and they went right to work putting in one IV in each hand. They were great, telling me along the way, "A little pinch here...a little stick here..." They put the inflatable leg cuffs on, and someone asked me what my favorite cocktail was. I told them I had just purchased a Margarita Machine, and someone said, "One Margarita, coming right up!" I was aware that I was getting ready to fall asleep.

Next thing I knew - it couldn't have been 2 minutes later - someone was gently shaking me, saying, "You're all done, blah, blah, blah..." I couldn't understand the rest of the sentence, but I knew she was joking because I just got there. NOPE, they were done! It literally felt as if I drifted off for a minute and it was over. Sort of like when you are watching the news when you are very tired and you see the beginning of the broadcast and the next thing you know, you are watching the end! Anyway, they asked if I could help scoot over to a gurney, and my mind was telling my body to move, but my body was not moving. It was a weird, weird feeling.

They wheeled me to the recovery room, which was basically a bay of people in hospital beds lining the walls. But it was quiet and peaceful. I was hooked up to the heart and breathing monitors, and the inflatable leg cuffs were still working away. My husband came in a few minutes later, and I was telling him that I could think and talk, but I couldn't move and he made some lewd comment. I tried to laugh, and that's when I noticed my throat was sore, and my belly was sore, and my left shoulder hurt. Hubby said he went to the game store and before he got back, they had come to get him. The whole procedure took less than 45 minutes.

I slowly got my senses and strength back - it took a couple of hours. Then they transferred me up to a room (NYU requires an overnight stay). I was really tired, so I slept for who knows how long until I needed to go to the restroom again. The nurse and my husband helped me up and that's when I realized how sore I was. I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. I have heard others say it felt like they did 200 sit-ups. I noticed a hand-sized black and purple bruise on my upper left arm and my nurse told me that was the heparin inject site. She said heparin isn't supposed to be injected intramuscularly, or it leaves giant bruises. I got mine.

After that, I was encouraged to walk around the hallways as long as I felt okay. I still had an IV, so I had the wheeled IV pole with me, shuffling along. My nurse said she thought there were 8 of us who had the banding done that day, and we would pass each other in the halls, smiling and chatting. Later, I was given this breathing machine and was told to use it 10 times per hour when I was awake. Hubby left, and I spent a lot of the night sleeping and looking out the window towards the East River wondering what my new life would be like, watching the tourist boats float by. As I was brushing my hair, I found the grayest hair you've ever seen, and was glad that I did something about my weight while still relatively young (42).

I was discharged the next morning, and have only had sharp pains in my left shoulder, and some discomfort at the port site - I feel like I have to put pressure on it sometimes when I bend over. But nothing major. I have only taken a few of the pain pills. Overall I feel great. I have noticed that I am drinking more than I thought I would be able to, but I also notice that I get a "full" feeling sooner that I used to.

That's my experience. So far.:smile2:

Wow... You all are truly helping me soooo much... I can relate to falling asleep while watching the news.... fantastic information... I can't keep stressing you all are amazing... Thanks for taking the time to share...:frown::thumbup::):thumbup::sad::thumbup::tongue::thumbup::w00t::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That was extremely helpful!!! Thanks! I am to be banded on 5/15 and am not staying the night so hearing of your adventure was just what I needed. I am in Richmond Virginia and will be operated at St. Mary's. Do you mind telling me where you are?

Best of luck to you! sounds like things are going great!