Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the band make your "feeling full" signal work stronger?

I have a question that has been bothing me....How is it that after I get banded somehow my "full" sensors in my stomache will work really well ('cause they don't work now!! I could eat 3 large pizzas and don't feel full till I wanna ralph :biggrin:)....Will my pouches sensors trigger something? Even though I have a larger stomache below. Sorry if this is a newbie question. I am just trying to wrap my head around the "full" feeling you get & how this will work for me.

Hi,

My Dr. explained to me that all the sensors that tell you that you are full are at the top of the stomach (makes sense for a person with a normal appetite). Since the pouch is at the top of the stomach that full feeling is reached very quickly. It seems to be working for me and I am 2 weeks since surgery today. Good luck, the band is a wonderful tool but you still have to do the work.

Blessings,

Sally

That's a pretty accurate description. I feel like every meal is Thanksgiving dinner, I'm stuffed until I need a nap. I usually stop eating because I'm tired of food, not because I'm "full".

It's a nice sensation when it's not combined with too-tight pants and vague nausea.

Thank you so much agreatknead & lessnless for your explanations -- they make real sense to m--- I can't wait to have that full feeling actually work!

I get a more satisfied feeling rather than Thanksgiving full. I often find myself taking more food to eat and I have to stop before I finish the portion! I love it! SS

I find it really helps when you eat real slow. Actually put the fork down between tiny bites. Really savor and enjoy each one then stop when you feel your stomack not growling anymore. That way you wont overeat and run the risk of PBing. I havent experienced that yet.

at some point you may find that "Thanksgiving full" feeling a sign that you will be sick soon. i rarely get that full feeling when i am at restriction. actually, when i was close to restriction, i was hungry every 2 hours, but i could eat very little at a time, i lost that full feeling, it was more of a feeling of disgust at the thought of another bite..not that comfortable feeling. i've been pigging out lately (had a pregnancy-miscarriage over the last few months, i've been unfilled). i'm going to try to get that feeling of disgust back today..lol

I never really get a full feeling. I have trouble eating sometimes b/c I take too big of bites or try to eat too much bread. But if it's something I can eat, I will eat it until it's gone. Most of the time, I just get tired of eating small bites and quit. I've had a second fill and now have 3 cc in my band. I've lost 26 lbs. since June so I guess I won't complain too much!

I have not had a fill yet, and I fell FULL off a 4oz cottage cheese it blows my mind! Another strage this is going on Im not craving carbs like I used to Im so happy about this I sure hope it stays this way.

Used to love bread and rice and now dont ever think about them.

I'm still on liquids (3 more days!) and I do feel satisfied with about 4-5 oz of something to drink-- even non-calorie drinks. I don't LIKE the full feeling now, it makes me sick. I had Soup, AND a popsicle the other day and it was TOO much and I didn't like it! I feel like I have been pretty good about not taking too much in at once, and just feeling satisfied with a small amount.

I hope it continues!

I am on full liquid diet and am wondering if the feeling I get on the left side is the full feeling? I rarely filled myself to a bloat feeling so I just hope I am eating enough.

I am on full liquid diet and am wondering if the feeling I get on the left side is the full feeling? I rarely filled myself to a bloat feeling so I just hope I am eating enough.

actually you are not likely getting enough Protein right now, but when you graduate to soft and real food that will change you should start Protein drinks soon too. that feeling on the left side is not a full feeling it is a too full feeling. I think things are not settled down yet. it went away after about 4 weeks or if I didn't eat too much.

I have been drinking my Protein Drinks and liquids between meals. So am I overeating?

That is what I get from the reply or is it that things have not yet settled and that is what the pressure feeling is from?:confused:

I had the same question and my doctor said that the band presses on some sort of nerve that suppresses hunger. So it's not just the full pouch thing.

For me, the band does not make the "full" signal stronger; it makes it completely different. "Full" is very uncomfortable---it's the one bite too many that pushes me from comfortable to feeling as though I need to vomit.

So, I've had to learn to listen to my body. To eat slowly and pause in between bites to be sure that the next bite won't push me over the edge. While there are plenty of "full" sensors in the upper, banded, portion of the sensor, if you don't know how to listen to your body, you won't hear what they're saying any more than you "heard" before banding.

I can easily waltz right past full--and feel miserable. I have concentrated on feeling satisfied. I stop before "full." For me, full takes it too far.

If you are the type who continues to eat past one pizza all the way to the third pizza, it's NOT because you're not full. It's because you've learned that "stuffed" is an appropriate feeling.

The band WILL teach you---FAST----that it is NOT an appropriate feeling.

Edited by BetsyB