Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any advice on Hair loss? I banded in 10/07, and have had appropriate, successful weight loss to date, about ( 55 pounds ) think I am eating appropriately, getting enough Protein, but in the past month have lost significant hair. Lots ! I clean out the shower drain with a clump daily, and comb way too much out of my combs, brushes, etc. and my scalp is really showing as my hair is thinning. I am upset enough, that I am trying to eat more protein, but it's hard for me to get more in, and I hate going back to the powder, and not even sure if that is the answer. Does anyone have any suggestions, I am desperate!! thanks

Unfortunately, your going to have to go back to the powder. Also keep searching the forums. This is a concern of mne as well. Research Biotin its suppose to help. Good luck and sorry that your experiencing this.

Hi there! My doctor suggested using Nioxin hair products - expensive but worth. The clinic I went to said that significant Hair loss can occur 3-6 months after dramatic weight loss - I am also taking the supplement Selenium that is suppose to help with hair loss. My hair thinned a lot mid-Feb through April and has finally started to level off. I have been using the Nioxin daily.

The Nioxin doesn't prevent hair loss but it keeps the hair shafts a live so it will grow back.

I just bought a Nioxin Shampoo, is that what you used? Is a conditioner or other product worth it too? There seem to be many different Nioxin products. My hair is thin anyway, and I hate to lose any, let alone the amount I have already lost. I started eating more than I should just because I am afraid of more Hair loss, so have been at a plateau with my weight loss for about 6 weeks. I haven't gained, but am kind of stuck ... so not sure where to go from here. I try to concentrate on Proteins hoping that helps... but will keep it up. Thanks for the post.

I bought the supplement Biotin, and have seen a significant improvement in Hair loss and my nails are growing, something I have never had, I was losing hair before surgery and now looking back ever since my diagnosis border line diabetic and had to monitor myself, watch carb improve Protein, so when I did surgery I started taking Biotin, is only like 2.50 a bottle in Walmart where Vitamins and supplements are and you can crush them. I would try that.

Biotin!!! I take one twice a day and my hair and nails have never been prettier. I was so scared of losing my hair that I started taking them right when I had surgery. I haven't experienced any significant Hair loss and I attribute it to the Biotin.< /p>

It will get better. I too was banded in Oct and in the past month have had tons of hair fall out. It is normal and as long as we eat healthily and get the right amount of Protein it will come back. I have lost large amounts of weight in the past and experienced the same thing so I am not worried. Hang in there.

Banded: 19 Oct 07

Highest: 400+

Surgery: 276.5

Current: 198 Onderland!!!!!

i lost a LOT of hair, but then it leveled out, i also got a little bit looser of a fill so i can eat more solid Proteins. i was preg, but miscarried, so i'm getting back on track now, and i hope i do not start losing my hair again. i've got little "sprigs" sticking up all over my hair where the hair that i lost started growing back. i had thin hair to begin with. i used a tea tree Shampoo, per my hairdresser, when i started using that and increased Protein it stopped.

BIOTIN!!!!! i agree totally. I have waist length hair, and experiencing Hair loss, now, after a month on Biotin, everything is back to normal, also there are a few shampoos out there that contain Biotin.....my favorite thing to use daily, is INFUSIUM... clear liquid, and i massage into my scalp every night..it is just like Water, leaves no sticky residue, and it is really greatfor your hair.....especially growth!!!!! i have used it for over 10 years, you can buy it at the grocery store, or any drug store...awesome!!!!!