Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When going to a restaurant, what do you order?

I have actually started splitting a meal with my husband. I usually order fish or chicken of some sort. All the restaurants I've gone to have been really nice about it and usually offer an extra side with it so he gets his baked potato and I get veggies. Most restaurant meals really are big enough for two people, especially if one is banded! I have also ordered off the appetizer menu, although those choices are usually less healthy. It's interesting... I have NO trouble with salad! It is one of my easiest foods. So I order those for lunch -with chicken.

I usually order an appetiser rather than a full meal and it takes me at least as long, if not longer than everyone else eating their main course, so it doesn't seem odd or out of place.

I went to a Chinese restaurant with family on the weekend, and we ordered a banquet (appetisers, Soup, six main dishes + rice for 7 people), served on the rotating thingy in the middle of the table. I was thrilled because I was able to eat a tiny taste of everything there, didn't feel I had missed out on anything and was absolutely full at the end of it - very satisfying!

when I go out to eat for business, I usually order a crab cake appetizer for a main course. very easy on the band, and you can push it aorund the plate and it looks like you ate everyting.

Donna,

Be careful with fast food. The McDonalds fruit and yogurt has tons of calories, its awful. I looked it up and I remember its real high. When in doubt, order brothy Soups, no creamed soups, lots of fat. Good luck.

Thanks Debbie - I'll be careful! I thought the McD parfait was 160 cal, 4 g of Protein. It was one of the pre-choices I made if I ever found myself in need of food and trapped at a McD (like my last road trip with the family).

Went to Red Lobster last night for my birthday. Had a skewer of six shrimp, bowl of Lobster Bisque and one Cheddar Bay biscuit. Total calories for the dinner were 622 and Protein was 17. I prepared my day for this, and totaled the day at 1396 calories and 71 grams of protein. Not bad! I didn't eat any of my trigger foods, either. All in all, a very nice evening.

Edited by Freetofly

For lunch today, I chose from the appetizer menu and picked a chicken pate with a berry chutney. Tiny little bites lasted 40 minutes and I was done. Had the soft center part of a little piece of bread, and ordered a Smirnoff Ice but could only drink half of it.

Went to Red Lobster last night for my birthday. Had a skewer of six shrimp, bowl of Lobster Bisque and one Cheddar Bay biscuit.

Happy Birthday, Freetofly! Just curious... How was the Lobster Bisque? Worth the splurge? I enjoy eating there too, but it's so hard to resist those biscuits! :cursing:

When we go out to eat (my son and I) we always split the entree and he loves the fact that he will get the biggest portion. I have not had any problems eating chicken but I have a very hard time eating eggs.< /p>

Great question.

I used to LOVE going out to eat, now I hate it! I am really cheap, so I find it a huge waste to order something I know I cannot eat.

When at a fast food resturant, I almost always order from the kids menu. Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich at Sonic, a cup of chili at Wendy's or a single taco at Taco Bell. For a proper resturant, I get chips and salsa, a cup or Soup, side order of mashed potatoes, or something from the appetizer menu. I usually always do Soup, as it is the easiest to get down.

I gotta say-you do save money on food in the long run! Ha!

Chica - I have to admit, I LOVE lobster bisque! I know it's loaded with cream and calories, but at least it's not a trigger food. Yeah, it was definitely worth the splurge. I never do it more than once a month, though heehee!

Hugs!

Donna

For Mothers Day, I ordered a big meat-filled egg omelette and ate about 1/4th of it.... took the rest home and nibbled on it for two days after.... Why spend $5 on some tiny meal when I can get a monster meal for $10 and have food to eat for a few days? No waste in our house, that's for sure! :thumbup:

Jennifer,

Trigger foods, for me, are foods I simply cannot eat in moderation. Ice cream is one - I can't just get a small bowl, I usually get a big bowl, and then go back for seconds. Lays potato chips and any kind of Cheetos are another, and anything with chocolate on or in them. One bite and next thing I know the bag is empty. French fries used to be one, but the lap band took care of that haha!

It sounds like I "should" just be able to "control" myself, but I admit freely that I'm a compulsive overeater and a food addict. It's humbling and humiliating and downright horrifying to admit that I don't have control over that part of my life. It's kind of like alcoholism in that manner - once I take the first bite, the compulsion takes over. And it may just take over for the whole weekend! And the most insidious part of it is.....I usually don't realize what I'm doing. I get THAT unconcious about it.

I also have to avoid eating and reading at the same time. I hate that.

Hope that makes sense!

Hugs!

Donna

Freetofly,

Thanks for the explanation. If that is the case, I definately have trigger foods as well!