Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for my surgery on May 13!:biggrin2: I was just wondering how long you stayed in the hospital after your surgery?? My dr. said if I don't have any probs I could probably go home that same day....

Thanks!!

My doc told me that I could go home that same day also. My insurance approved me for 2 days total. So I told my doc that I wanted to take that extra day to make sure everything was good to go. That was just me. I am glad I did, because it made me feel better when I came home.

My doctor told me to count on staying overnight after surgery. He said that they give me dinner & bkfst to make sure everything is good, and then have me drink some stuff and watch it go down. I guess he wants to be extra cautious. I am kind of glad, that way when I come home I won't be worried that something is wrong.

HI. Same as skinnyme2be; My Doctor makes all his patients spend the night. GB patients stay 2 nights. The next day they made me drink some YUCKY stuff as they watched it go down through the band to make sure everything was ok. They also wanted to see how much I went to the bathroom before I left. I'm so glad I stayed. :smile2:

My doctor told me I'd go home the same day and that I should start walking, slowly and a little at a time, but not to spend too much time "resting"... It prevents blood clots and helps you recover quicker.

I hate the hospital and never get any rest while I'm there... I'm glad I get to be home with my family...

But you have to do what makes you feel comfortable and happy...

Best of Luck to you!

My doc does it outpatient. We are out the door not too long after waking up from surgery. We drink some Water or juice to show that liquids are going down and then off we go.

I was glad, actually. I sleep much better in my own bed.

They called to check up on me later, and I had instructions to call in if any of a number of symptoms showed up. (like not being able to drink anything, signs of infection and so forth)

About 12 hours - I stayed over night because my surgery was at night. I got to the ward about 10pm and was out the next morning.

I was told I'd be in overnight too. The BIG bonus for me is that my parents said they'll keep my son for me for a few days so I can rest up. YAY! No toddler chasing for a few nights.:smile2:

My doctor requires lap band patients to spend the night, so I'm planning on bringing my own pillows to at least have something familiar and comfortable. Past experience tells me I won't be sleeping very well that night as I never sleep well when it's not in my own bed.

I didn't stay the night in the hospital but wish I had. I couldn't urinate and my PCP at home (two hours away from the hospital) had to put in a catheter. Two days later everything was fine, but a hospital stay would have been easier. My recovery was very easy once the catheter was out. Complications are rare.... but they do happen. Expect the best, plan for the rest.

My doctor told me I'd go home the same day and that I should start walking, slowly and a little at a time, but not to spend too much time "resting"... It prevents blood clots and helps you recover quicker.

I hate the hospital and never get any rest while I'm there... I'm glad I get to be home with my family........

I'm with ya... hate hospitals and hospitals DO NOT equal rest that is forsure! My Dr. agrees too. NO RESTING! I had these pump things on my legs to prevent clots and the only time they were off was when I was MADE to get up (at least every hour and walk). I know if I was at home I wouldn't have walked like I did in the hospital. My family was there with me and I tell you what since my 16 year old son saw me in that hospital bed he has cut out 95% of junk food and also quit drinking soda. I think it scared him, LOL. Also they pumped me up with so many fluids, antibiotics and Vitamins I can't imagine how I would have felt if I didn't have those.

I stayed overnight. They did an esophogram the next day to document the placement of the band as a baseline should there be any future problems (God forbid!). ETA, the also did an I/O where they monitor your input/output of fluids. I wasn't peeing a lot at first and they started threatening me with either more IV fluids or the dreaded foley. Boy, you've never seen somebody strain to pee so hard in your life.

But back to your question; my girlfriend came and picked me up around 3pm when she got off from work. I could've left earlier, but that's when my ride was there. :)

Oh, and I have to tell you, it had to be one of the most restful nights I've had in a long time. But then again, it was a private room with a huge, disturbingly comfortable bed (at least for a hospital bed), with this nifty underbed ambient lighting at night. I had my down pillow, my own jammies, my iPod. It was pretty relaxing, actually. Listen, when you share your bed and covers with a snoring husband and a dog, with two more dogs in the room, pretty much anything is glorious. :lol:

-m

Edited by dancinglamb

I get the 23 hour deal if I need it per my insurance. I think staying one night isn't a bad idea though. I would hate to go home too soon and have problems. It would be reassuring to be close to the doctors.

I dont have a date for my surgery yet but my drs requirement is that you walk a mile before you leave. Aparently its 16 laps aroung the recovery floor. Some people stay over night and others have gone home right after recovery and their laps. It depends on the time of the surgery.

My doc said if I get in before like 10am I am home that night, but if it is after noon then I have to have an overnight. I welcome a night away actually. LOL Might treat it like a mini vacation LOL with lots of pain meds .... HAHAH