Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Potato Substitute

I love potatoes. They are my most favorite thing to eat in the whole world! I work at a culinary school and recently i tried some sauteed turnips. Turnips have about 6g of carbs in comparison to about 30g in potatoes (medium sized of comparable size). When you dice these and saute them in a little olive oil, they taste very much like sauteed potatoes. There is a little more bite to it than a potato, but it is so similar that my body thinks its a tater! Try it sometime, you might be surprised!

Tracy

Sweet potatoes are yummy and they do have beta carotene, but they are higher carb than white potatoes.

As I progress on my band journey, I do eat white potatoes occasionally. However, now I have 1/2 of a potato rather than the whole one I had before.

Turnips are good. I would second the jicama, used to make a decent, tho sweeter, hashbrown. I always describeit as half potato, half apple. Excellent chilled, and you can make a pretty mean "fried apples" with it. For mashed, or casseroles, try cauliflower.

Actually, sweet potatoes are lower carb than white potatoes (Atkins online carb counter has them at very similar carb counts but the sweet potato is lower, lowcarbfriends dot com has the sweet potato MUCH lower than the white potato). But, yams are better way to go according to all of the sites that I could find. :thumbup:

I personally like the old weight watchers trick of cauliflower for mashed potatoes, but I know that doesn't fly for some people who love their potatoes.

I've never thought about turnips as a substitute, but I might have to try it. I have had Jicama before and I really like it. I just ate it cold and raw. The "fried apples" idea is a great one, I will definitely try it.

Does anyone know if Jicama is a seasonal vegetable? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know? The local grocery stores here used to carry it and I haven't been able to find it in months.

I discovered sauteed turnips on my own after a culinary mistake turned into a happy occasion. Love the turnips! They also seem to pick up a little of the flavor of the fat they're cooked in, so bacon grease is just divine.

What's more, my family can turn their noses up at the turnips and leave me with the delicious pan full all to myself. I divide it up into 1/2 cup servings and have them for lunches or as sides. They reheat in the microwave very well.

I'm not a low carber, but I love cauliflower in place of potatoes and rice. And sauteed strips of zucchini instead of Pasta. I do those because they actually taste BETTER than pasta! And a lot more Vitamin packed.

I'm not a low carber, but I love cauliflower in place of potatoes and rice. And sauteed strips of zucchini instead of Pasta. I do those because they actually taste BETTER than pasta! And a lot more Vitamin packed.

Thanks. I'll have to try the strips of zuchinni in place of Pasta.

Lena

I like the mashed cauliflower w/ biutter & sour cream. :thumbup: