Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went for my sleep study last night. I probably slept an hour-an hour and a half all night. Early on I fell asleep and the tech came in to put oxygen on me, I wasn't in REM yet. I could not fall back asleep. I layed there from midnight to about 4 AM. When she cam in to wake me at 6:20 she said I finally did have about 1/2 hour of REM sleep. She gave me the impression (though didn't come out and say it) that my REM sleep was OK. I know they need 3 hours of REM with so many occurances to consider you having apnea.

Has anything like this happened to anyone...and were you called back for another test?? I am really hoping this happens...since having apnea will help in getting my insurance to pay for the surgery, as well as the fact that if I do not have apnea the insurance co will not even pay for the test (they consider it "cosmetic"...of all things..since it is pre lap band testing!!!)

It was my understanding that if the Dr wants the test then the insurance has to pay. sleep apnea is a serious disease that untreated could kill. Did you pc refer you for the test?

It was my understanding that if the Dr wants the test then the insurance has to pay. sleep apnea is a serious disease that untreated could kill. Did you pc refer you for the test?

You would think so, wouldn't you?? The surgeon ordered the test. The insurance co wanted 12 months of documentation of sleeping problems to pay for the test. They don't consider the test "medically neccessary" since it was ordered before a lap band surgery, they are calling it "cosmetic"

How the heck they can consider a potentially life saving test cosmetic is beyond me, I told them I also have a incarcerated hernia, which will need repair, but they really didn't care.

I have to keep wondering, "what the heck chance do I have of them paying for surgery when they won't pay for this test?????" <sigh>

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but at least you're on your way in the pre-op testing phase.

Wow, I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I'm glad I have documented sleep apnea so I won't have to have a sleep study--it's one less hoop I have to jump through to make the insurance folks happy! :biggrin2:

They made me go for a sleep study after I failed their pulmonary tests and had a low oxygen level in my blood. I really didn't know anything about sleep apnea at the time but had problems with insomnia at night and always tired during the day.

I only needed one study even though I swore I didn't fall asleep I guess I had and they found me to have sleep apnea and have been sleeping with a CPAP machine ever since and I feel so much better. They made me bring it to the hospital to use after surgery also.

My daughter on the other hand has disrupted sleep because of her snoring but no apneas and they made her go through two sleep studies to find this out which is weird to me. Anyway she did and found she can't sleep with the machine so we ended up returning it!

Anyway sleep apnea is dangerous and if she had that I would have made her use it! She's 19 so what can you do. Good luck to you brandyII

Wow, I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I'm glad I have documented sleep apnea so I won't have to have a sleep study--it's one less hoop I have to jump through to make the insurance folks happy! :biggrin2:

Yep, that's why I'm hoping they are able to document it...one less hurdle...seems like insurance co's are more likely to pay for the surgery if apnea is among one of your many co mordities (or at least that is how it sems for BC/BS IL.

I don't have bc/bs but get all the documented probs you can, lol. No seriously it does help and if you have sleep apnea and start using the machine until you hopefully lose enough not to need it again you'll feel better too. I also had diabetes II, thyroid. Do you have any back probs or anything like that? That always helps. brandyII

After reading alot in here, my insurance is a dream. I called and asked them what I needed to qualify, they said a BMI over 40, or 35 with weight related problems. It covers 90% up to $650.00 out of pocket, then 100% after that, and 100% of all follow ups.

I had a sleep study recently on my own volition and it was not good either. They stopped my study and put me on a cpap. Without pap I had 179 obstructive events in 1:55 min or 108/hour. With CPapa I had 30 in 4 hours 55 min. Felt like the best night sleep I had in a long time. Cannot wait to get mine, then get banded.

Sorry for your experience, but the juice will be worth the squeeze in the long run. Just keep a positive attitude. Good luck...

My sleep test was not bad they gave me a sleeping pill. I found out I have moderate apnea (bad news but good for the insurance approval)

Did they offer to give you a sleep aide?

Well I had to go 2 times to the study because I only slept like 3 hours..:wink2:. the first night and then they didn't have time to cpap me....

The second time I went I started with the cpap...getting used to that was ok. :smile2: The funny thing was the fist night all the probes and things bugged me more then with the mask those were the least of my worries!:tongue2:

Anyhoo..I NEVER got into REM either night!:confused2: Funny thing is, I told them I only slept in short bursts...

On my side I only had like 3 events but on my back I had like 10 so they said I had mild apnea...now I have a full mask for apnea.:sleep:

I just went for my month follow up and was totally honest with the doc.:tt2:..I have yet to sleep all night with the mask on...I fall asleep fine with it on, I just can't stay asleep.:lol:..

She said, my setting maight be too low (8) and then in REM I have an event and that wakes me up???

I don't know...so she put me on Ambian to see if I can sleep all night. I slept great last night but when I woke up I did not have my mask on..:wink2:.I don't remember taking it off....oops...I'll keep trying!

:ohmy:It scares me to think I have APNEA but then again...better treated than not and I know what you mean about it helping to qualify with insurance...I'm sure it helped me...

When I go to get banded I have to bring my mask and tubing...my doc makes you have it in recovery...

The scary thing is I am sure I had it last year and I was put to sleep 2 different times (Dec '06 and June '07). They say that it isbad to have apnea when coming out of anastesia because you are lying on your back and may not think to breathe! :w00t:

:crying:SO I AM GLAD I HAVE MY MASK...HOPEFULLY I'LL LEARN TO KEEP IT ON!!:thumbup:

You are not alone.

When I went for my sleep study I went to sleep and woke up a 1 1/2 hours later to go to the bathroom. The tech said he was getting information. About an hour later I woke up with a horrible aniexty attack. I have had them 5 years ago so I knew I wasn't having a heart attack. I had to walk around for an hour to calm down but I never could go back to sleep.

The following week they said I had mild apnea, from the short time I did sleep, and had to go back for the machine. I took two Xanyex (not sure on the spelling) and brought my own sheets and pillows. I slept until midnight and woke up. The tech said I woke up very quickly. I did not have another attack but I could not go back to sleep. So I told them I needed to go home.

So the doctor prescribed a adjustable setting cpap machine. It is a very low setting. I am sleeping okay with the nose pillows and hopefully I will be able to get rid of the machine when I lose more weight.

I had a sleep study done 3 years ago, and it was not the best experience of my life.. with the things taped to you, and the cameras rolling. And I have apnea so I had to go back for the mask part. That night I had 45 mintues of good sleep all night. I kept having panic attacks from the mask. I now slap that sucker on at night and am asleep withing 5 minutes. When I started the process I would throw the thing across the room about 2 AM! Then I started craving the mask and sleep. weird huh? Now I've leveled out, but I can't imagine NOT having the mask on to sleep. I did forget it on an overnight trip and was just misreable.. along with my husband who didn't sleep well either!

good luck!

Molly

I think if you have sleep apnea you will use the mask because you know you want to sleep. I can't sleep without mine and I have the mask that covers my nose but not mouth. I do take an over the counter sleep aid like a generic unisom (orange) and clonapin (sp) but sleep has been an issue for me for years!!!!!

The funny thing is that at my sleep clinic putting a mask on me was never an option and everyone else says that they were going to have a mask put on them if they were found to have apneas and I had many, even for the short amount of time I was able to sleep. I guess each place was different. Oh and I wanted to take a sleeping pill but they said it could screw up the study, so I didn't. Believe me I did not wake up bright eyed or bushy tailed!

IF YOU DO HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT CPAP MACHINES GO TO CPAPTALK.COM their forum is good.

I also barely slept on my sleep study. Apparently I slept for 2 hours and 20 minutes off and on, but I never made REM so I never thought I went to sleep. They finally told me to go home at 4am because I was never going to get to sleep enough so they could try the CPAP. Unfortunately, I slept enough for them to see "significant" obstructive sleep apnea. I'm thinking of doing it again with a sleeping pill so I can get the CPAP tested right; I'm picking up a CPAP machine on Monday, but it's kind of flying blind to use it without official testing... I really want to get some good sleep!