Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

25/no real health problems/but really nervous about surgery/any suggestions

Hello

My name is Samantha and this is my first time logging on to the website. I am scheduled to get the lap band on 05 20 08. I am happy but I am scared out of my mind. I don't have a very comforting doctor. He is a good doctor he just does not have very good bed side manners.

Ive had my gall bladder removed(the old way), ive had two children and I have had a breast reduction so this is not like this is my first surgery. I am just scared. I am only 25 yrs old and the only health problem that I really have is that every since I had my last child my blood pressure just wont seem to go down without me taking Water pills.

What can I do to calm my self for the surgery? Is it normal for me to be this nervous?

Please respond

Samantha :redface:

Hi Samantha,

While everyone is nervous, of course, in my experience it's important to listen to yourself when making a decision of this magnitude. Perhaps you're excessively nervous because you're not 100% sure this is the right decision? You're very young--are there things you have yet to try to get a grip on your weight issues?

Bariatric surgery isn't something to be entered into lightly--it's life-changing and takes a serious approach. If you're really ready, there's no reason to be extremely nervous. So perhaps there's a message there in your subconscious.

Think through your decision carefully. If you've really done all the prep work and are positive this is the right step, your nervousness will fade.

personally, i think having the right doctor is everything. if i didnt like or feel totally 100 percent confident in my doctor, then i would be nervous too . i think you should shop around. i went to mexico so i wouldnt have to deal with waiting and insurance bullshit. i was lucky to afford to go. i hope you can find a better doctor. one who will encourage and support you. good luck. the surgery to me was a breeze. my doctor uses the best drugs available. that was my biggest concern. i did not want to get sick from the anesthesia. i didnt. so ask about that....... good luck.

Before and immediately after surgery, I had little nervousness, but my doctor did make me somewhat nervous. He had NO personality, but I kept making myself feel better by reminding that I wanted him to be my surgeon, not my cheerleader. I didn't want a buddy, I wanted someone qualified to cut me open. The first post-operative visit in the hospital was odd....he didn't say much and had a ton of residents with him--like 7 or 8! Even after that, my first two appointments were awkward. I had a complete change of heart at my 2nd fill when I was expressing some frustration and disappointment at not losing more weight. Much to my surprise, he was unbelievably supportive. I think it just took me opening up to figure out how much he had to offer. He's been great ever since. Once I allowed him "in", he used that opportunity to get to know me better. The moral? Tell your doctor you're nervous. I had no health issues at all--other than being overweight. I had no comorbities, other than weighing in at a hefty 304. Strange, I know...but it kept me from feeling like I had anything to worry about. If you're feeling nervous, tell your doctor. Go to a support group meeting if possible, and talk with people on here. Good luck! :redface: