Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Filled on Monday, Un-Filled Saturday night

Wow what a rough week.... I got a fill one week ago today, and after one week of PB's, no eating at all - no Soups, no nothing....no drinking anything but coffee....and horrible chest pain.....I paged the doctor Saturday night and met him at the clinic at 9:00 pm for an 'un-fill'. He said he was surprised I had lasted as long as I did. I'm on Clear liquids for 72 hours - and glad to be that way. I'm just so happy to DRINK!

Anyone else ever had this happen? I'm going back in two weeks for a re-fill...

I had to get an un-fill 3 days after my last fill, I got what I think was the flu and had horrible pain, the doctor had me go to the ER for an un-fill. I have to wait a month before I can see him again and then hopefully he will let me schedule a new fill. And with that I will have to wait 3-4 weeks for an appointment. I hope everything goes well for you.

I had my 3rd fill on Friday. I did fine Friday and Saturday. Then Sunday I PB'D for the first time, and that happened off and on all day Sunday. Today is a bit better, I am doing liquids. I am PBing some still. I am going to give it until tomorrow, it seems like it is getting better. I hope so. I really don't want to have an unfill. Did he unfill you completely or just a bit?

Hi

Don't wait to long, I did and now my band is totaly emptied and I have to see a GI specailist and get a scope done. The Dr thinks I bruised my esophaus very bad. So don't wait to long!

This is my first time here and reading these are really helping mei am actually leaving in a few minutes to do a un fill....i had my third fill on tuesday. At this point i am weak, nauseas and the pain in my chest just from sipping on Water in unbearable. The thing is i have to drive two hours to my doctor. I am to weak to drive so i am waiting on my mom. I had my surgery July 15 2008 and i am down 37 pounds. Although i have lost i am having a hard time staying positive with the process. My first two fills have not given me much restriction but this one is way to much. I am wondering how much they will take out. My fisrt fill was 3cc, my second was 2 cc, my third was 1.5 cc. Before this last fill i was still hungry all the time, could eat whatever i wanted most of the time. I just get discourged and need some advice to keep me on the right track:cry_smile:

I'm on the fill rollercoaster. I was too tight at 10ccs (in 14cc band) too loose at 9ccs. I had that same 1cc unfilled twice. The third time I was back down to 9cc, I came in for my fill having gained 15 pounds. When he put in the 1cc a third straight time, I couldn't hold down anything and lost 14 lbs in 4 days. This time he listened to me and only took out .75. In that month I managed to hold most of the 14 lb Water weight loss from being dehydrated. I was feeling enough restriction. For my fill last Thurs. (Dec. 11) he put in .25 cc to get me to 9.5 cc. I have being feeling a little tight (belching out of control and some heartburn) but I can hold down fluids. Right now, a little food goes a long way, for only the second time since I was banded in Oct. 2007. I'm hoping I can re-adjust my eating to avoid the excessive belching. I have lost 3lbs in the week since my fill, so I might be back on track this time.

Lori

Hi, I was banded on 9/9/08. I've lost 33 lbs. so far. 1 month ago I went in for my first fill and the dr. couldn't find the opening to my port. After trying about 8 times, he gave up and told me to come back in a month. I went back today. He tried twice and still couldn't find the opening. He did an ultrasound and said it wasn't helping him much. He tried once more and finally got it. When he was done, he said he put more than he normally would on a persons first fill, because after finally finding the port, he wanted to make sure there was enough in there. He put in 4 cc. I drank 1/2 cup of Water, then left. while still in the parking lot, I started sliming up the water a little at a time. Gross. Since then, I have drank about 1/2 cup of water taking one sip every 1/2 hour or so. It has been8 hours since my fill. I am supposed to stay on liquids only for 1 day, pureeds for day 2 and mushy food for day 3, then reg. food for day 4. I hope I will be able to eat when the time comes, cause I can only have 1 sip of water at a time, or I can't keep it down. Will it get better?

Hi, I was banded on 9/9/08. I've lost 33 lbs. so far. 1 month ago I went in for my first fill and the dr. couldn't find the opening to my port. After trying about 8 times, he gave up and told me to come back in a month. I went back today. He tried twice and still couldn't find the opening. He did an ultrasound and said it wasn't helping him much. He tried once more and finally got it. When he was done, he said he put more than he normally would on a persons first fill, because after finally finding the port, he wanted to make sure there was enough in there. He put in 4 cc. I drank 1/2 cup of Water, then left. while still in the parking lot, I started sliming up the Water a little at a time. Gross. Since then, I have drank about 1/2 cup of water taking one sip every 1/2 hour or so. It has been8 hours since my fill. I am supposed to stay on liquids only for 1 day, pureeds for day 2 and mushy food for day 3, then reg. food for day 4. I hope I will be able to eat when the time comes, cause I can only have 1 sip of water at a time, or I can't keep it down. Will it get better?

Patty, your experience sounds horrible and definitely not the norm. How are things going now for you?

Did he tell you why he had such a hard time finding the port?

I am grateful that my surgeon only does fills using barium swalllows in a GI lab. There is never any question as to where the port is and as to how liquids will (or won't) go past the band.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things are going.

I'm having a similar situation to what Patty had. I got a fill this afternoon. I've only been losing about 1 lb a week, but I was content with that. I decided to go for a fill anyway. Now I'm really regretting that. He put in 1.5 cc. I drank some Water and thought I was fine. On the way home, I started wondering if I should go back and have him take some out. If only I'd listened to myself! 2-3 hours ago, I attempted to drink some hot chocolate and then hot tea. Probably got about 1/8-1/4 cup down (total). Unfortunately, it came back up. I keep producing extra saliva and throwing that up as well.... for a total of 8 times so far tonight. I'm exhausted and my body hurts. I can't wait for the doctor's office to open tomorrow. I sure hope they can squeeze me in!

The first day of the fill, I was like that too, but its been over a week now and I am eating reg. food and keeping it down. I definitely have restriction and cant eat as much as before the fill, but thats what its all about, right? You will be able to eat more after day 3 or 4 because the swelling will go down. When you have a fill, or any time your stomach is touched, you will swell a little. So, to update, I am doing better now. I lost 4 pounds the first week ,and that was over Christmas!

He said that he thought my port was tilted and that the incision had scarring that hardened probably at the opening of the port. He doesn't know for sure himself I believe.

My port is also tilted, but all my fills are done the flouro way. My ins. company won't pay for them this way, but because of my tilt I am afraid to do it any other way. Still trying to find exactly the sweet spot, but I haven't ever had to have an unfill. It doesn't sound like fun at all! Hope we all get it right soon!!!!!!!!

thank goodness I found this thread, so maybe I am just a big baby but I was honestly thinking that I might go to the ER to get some of my fill from Friday (yesterday) taken out. It is very uncomfortable and I can't take even a sip of Water or clear broth without sliming and pbing. I understand that everyone is different and some people are more sensitive but this is awful. I had great restriction till about Nov and was too chicken to go sooner for my fill because I was so miserable after the second one. I hope that this keeps me resticted for a good while cause I don't want to do this again. after readiing what everyone wrote I think that I will wait till monday during the day and see how it is before calling the doctor and maybe having some removed. Any other advice, experiences, support on this would be much appreciated and will help me get through this...Oh did I mention that my husband had a fill on friday as well and is downstairs eating pudding LOL

I am really glad that I found these posts! :confused: I am a little nervous - I had my last fill in August and I knew it was a little tight - i went ahead and kept it going because i was loosing weight at a minimum of a 2 pounds a week. Recently I incorporated an hour at the gym into my day and found that i could not drink enough Water to keep up and at between 300 and 500 calories a day i was getting light headed from what I assume is not getting enough nutrition. I threw up a lot after my fill and developed heart burn from it, but learned that as long as I only had three bites over 45-60 minutes I would not throw up. I explained what has been going on and that getting even 16 oz of Water down a day is an issue and they are getting me in for an emergency unfill. I didn't realize that this was an emergency type situation but I guess the doctors consider it one. Right now I'm feeling two things 1) fear that I'm going to gain weight - almost petrifying fear and 2) excited that I'm going to be able to take more than a 1/4 teaspoon of water in at a time and that hopefully my dizziness will go away. I hope to be up to 700-800 calories by Sunday...

My starting weight March 20th was 290 (I'd lost 10 pounds in the pre op diet) and my current weight is 170. Is it no wonder that I'm scared to gain any weight back - the thought of it actually makes me sick. But I also need to be as healthy as possible so I can work out and play with my son. LOL I think I'm just babbling at this point in time because I'm nervous. Anyways if you've managed to read my neurotic babble thanks and I hope everyone is doing well and they have found that sweet spot that helps them loose weight without comprimising their health.

Rose, congrats on your weight loss...but it sounds like you are sacrificing your health for it. I have been a slow loser, and I can only imagine how excited you must be, but it does sound like you need to be able to get more Water and more calories in. I just had a fill and I think it is too tight, and I am so uncomfortable, but I know I need to lose so much more weight and I understand the temptation to keep it tight. Just think about getting a little bit out. I wish you luck and please post back about how you are doing...