Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat??

So, in a normal day- what type of food do you have for meals/snacks/etc?? I am thinking that I'm not really picking all the "right" things, because I don't seem to be loosing as much in comparison to some of you folks.

Here are some of my examples:

bfast-

oatmeal or Cereal (w/ 2% milk)

morning snack-

Myoplex Light Bar/cheese stick/banana/yogurt

Lunch-

almost ALWAYS have a big salad (usually w/a hard boiled egg and a little shredded cheese). If I don't have a salad I have leftovers from home (either chick w/veggies or curry or something)

afternoon snack-

veggies with hummus/Myoplex Light Bar/cheese stick etc

Dinner-

fish or chicken, veggies (either small salad or steamed veggies) and rice/noodle type side (very small amount)

evening snack (THIS is what gets me)-

honestly, it varies and I don't make "good" choices. This is where I need some real help. I'm kind of embaressed to admit the things I choose here. Things like popcorn...or, last night I had 2 oreo's...things that I feel guilty over- but crave SO much! ;)

Thank you!

Connie, I have to say that it seems like your eatting well. I wouldnt beat yourself up over 2 oreo's

Are you making sure not to drink with meals?

And I didnt add your calories but if you have too few calories it can hamper too.

Thank you for the reassurance, and I will check that other link!

I try really hard not to drink w/meals. Occasionally I have to do a little sip here and there- but I used to drink 2-3 glasses of Water WITH my meals...so this is a big change for me. This is probably one of the hardest things about having the band (for me).

I REALLY miss bread. I haven't been able to "handle" it yet. Also, what the heck is it about scrambled eggs?!? Do those make you folks sick as well?? Before I had my first fill I had no problems w/scrambled eggs. Since then though, I just can't handle even 1/2 scrambled egg.

Thanks again.

lol I have no problem with scrambled eggs...yet.

bread I do...Toast I can handle though.

I dont buy it because I dont eat it fast enough.

I'm jealous!! I can't even do toast. I would forgo buying that stuff too...but with 2 little kids, it's a necessity! LOL

PS- on my "room for a new member?" post I added progress pictures...if any of you would like to take a looksie. :rolleyes2:

I can do half a piece of toast...sometimes...lol....but scrambled eggs are a major no no for me as well....however an over-medium egg is sometimes tolerable and soooo yummy!

It sounds good to me. How much exercise do you do? That makes a LOT of difference.

So, here's my answer- I don't exercize nearly as much as I should. I'm trying to step it up though!

Connie,

Your meals look decent to me. I guess if you're really worried about it I would look into tracking your calories for a couple of weeks. Eat normally, measure your portions, track what you eat and see where you can make changes. It is amazing what I'm finding in my tracking. I use dailyplate, some use sparkspeople, and others fitday. I'm sure there are others. I do it online because I'm a gaget junky but I know others who keep a food log. Whatever works for you. Just remember to add in all your BLT's. (Those would be the BITES, LICKS, AND TASTES). They can be the killers! Do your last couple days worth of meals and see if you can spot the problem areas. I like dailyplate because it gives me alternatives with fewer calories for most foods....and honestly sometimes I just don't think about those alternatives.

As for evening Snacks....I try really hard not to eat one, but I do about half the time. I bought some quaker rice cake snack packs, 100cal microwave popcorn, and some sf ice cream bars from schwans. Before I allow myself a snack I make myself drink a bottle of Water...then I have to wait at least 15 mins before I can eat the snack and by then I've usually forgotten about it for long enough that I don't really "want" it anymore. You might try that.....it's also another way to force me to get my Water in.

You can also track your exercise on dailyplate. I also make myself do my tracking before I get a night snack so I can see if I have calories to spare....and if not, no snack!

Let us know what you figure out and what you decide to change. Your loss has been great so you should be proud of yourself.

Like you, I ate really well. I even worked out an hour to an hour and 15 minutes per day and wasn't losing weight.....I found out that I wasn't drinking enough. I was told to limit working out to no more than 45 minutes a day. My scale hasn't been my friend, but I thankfully go to a gym where they took starting measurements. I found out that I've lost a ton of inches AND a few dress sizes. I've lost only about 30 pounds, and my doctor was very supportive when I expressed concern. He has been very helpful and told me to keep doing what I'm doing and that things will come along. I have to trust that he's right because he's certainly done this before.....Something I found out (ok, so I am book smart, but not so bright perhaps...) is that when you're feeling restriction while eating, stop. Don't bring home the leftovers for later. Don't wait til the feeling passes, and eat only when you're hungry. It certainly seems logical, but for whatever reason, I wasn't doing all of that. I thought, like programs I've been on in the past, if I didn't eat my entire day's worth of food, I wouldn't lose weight. Not true. Eat when you're hungry, and skip it when you're not. Apparently that's how small people live their lives. I eat because it's "time" to. Ha, ha, ha. Surprise. Good luck. My doctor gave me the best advice. Stop comparing yourself to others, particularly if you're an overachiever like me. That will only frustrate you. Keep doing what you know is right. You'll get there in your own time. :redface:

i am boarder line to being to tight, though i have seen my surgeon and he is quite happy and said i need to slow down my eating and bite sizes. lol ... i am not sure i could eat any slower.

i miss not being able to drink with a meal, i have tried it but it makes me vomit, the suffer the most dreadful discomfort following. The surgeon again shook his head and said "tracy, don't do that!" ...

as for what i eat, i can not do food in the morning, it ALWAYS gets stuck, i usually opt for a Protein shake, sometimes eggs ... but eggs even eggs can get stuck in the morning for me. lunch tends to be a Soup or salad or something like that. Then dinner is whatever hubby is having, meat and three vege type thing, though mine is served up on a side plate, less than a cup of food.< /p>

my digestion is a very long slow process, sometimes it is an hour, sometimes it is 2-3 hours. This makes getting my Water in very difficult as i can not drink until my food has passed through the pouch.

i am terrible with my Water consumption, i never get my 2 litres in. I do exercise alot though, which i love!

i am happy with my results, yes there are days that it seems slow and not enough, but when i look at the overall numbers 1 kg a week (2.2 pounds) ... i can not complain at all!!

I have to say that when I accepted the fact that I was SUPER MORBIDLY OBESE and decided to have the Lap Band to help me gain control of my life again (I haven't been banded but will be in 3 weeks - but scheduled surgery 2 months ago), I decided that I needed to adjust my life to not eat things like pastas, breads, Cookies, rice, carbonated beverages, etc., whether or not I could handle them after banding. Those were all the things that made me fat in the first place over a lifetime of eating them, even if they were in small amounts. I have been involved in several online support groups (some VERY TRUTHFUL about life after banding) and also have started a face to face support group in my area where we meet regularly. When we choose to try to eat all those things, and take sips of Water occassionally with our meals, and break band rules, even ever so slightly, sometimes the effects don't come for a few years. With all of my research and contacts at this point, I have met several that have been banded for 3-4 years and the ones that pushed the envelope so to speak or didn't follow band rules pretty tightly, are now after 3-4 years and having difficulties, even a few have lost their band or had to have additional surgeries due to slippage. I don't mean to offend or be a Miss Know it All, that is not my intention here... but the band is only a tool and you can definately eat around it and in the long run, you are right back to what made you decide to have it in the first place..... plain old FAT and unhealthy. I know for myself, I will follow band rules strictly and choose highly nutritious foods to get maximum health benefits from what I eat. I know I will encounter struggles a long the way, but I am doing this because I want to be healthy, regardless really of the weight... and I have a lot to lose. Almost every person that says they are having struggles or major problems, it usually boils down to what they are eating or how they are eating..... like 90% of the time. I hope people make wise choices if they choose to keep their band for a long time or life and be healthy! Hate me if you choose.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Connie, you were banded 2 days after I was and you have lost 14lb more than I have, yet I consider that I am doing well with my loss. I think you should be proud of what you have achieved so far, and Celebrate the fact that you ARE losing faster than average. Your weight loss works out at over 10lb per month, or 2.5lb per week, which is well ahead of the curve (mine is 1.8lb per week). That's a fantastic rate and is very healthy and sustainable.

I think your diet looks fine, you don't need to make changes - just have patience and the numbers will add up. This is a marathon, not a sprint :)

Hi Connie, unless you had a large pre-op weight loss, I would say your weight loss is excellent. I would think 10 pounds a month is at the high end of what people can expect to lose, whilst maintaining a healthy diet. Your diet looks well balanced to me.