Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whos exercising??

I was thinking tonight I would like to start a thread to compare notes with others on the type of exercise they are doing post band. I would really like to know if Im varied enough and what is working for others. For the last 4 weeks I have been going to Water aerobics once a week, the gym four times a week and walking the other two days. Has anyone tried yoga? wouldnt mind giving that a go.

Hi Nat,

I'm working out like a possessed woman. 50 mins on the treadmill, 10 on the elliptical, and 40 mins weightlifting. So far, no weight results. BUT, omg, my back is so much stronger, I feel much more motivated, too. Everybody tells me if I stick with it (been 1 and 1 half months so far), the results will come. But I watch Biggest Loser and just want to cry. In any event, being strong and having muscles and a stronger heart makes you feel better!

I've only done the Bikram Yoga - it was not challenging at all. I'd love to do Pilates in a studio but it is super-pricey!

The varied part - I think it comes with working out. Sooner or later you'll just want to do something new. And of course the trainers say it's useful for fitness to try something you haven't done before.

Post your results from time to time - I'm curious if it is more helpful for the lbs for you than me.

I'm currently doing between 30-45mins cardio each day (either bike or treadmill) and have started doing a 30min weight circuit 3 times a week. On weekends we usually do the 7km river walk or ride too. After I drop a few more kgs I'm going to get back into the group exercise classes like RPM and combat.

I'm currently training for my first half marathon next month (if a knee injury I have can be sorted out), so running is a big chunk of my exercise and has been for about 6 months now. I'm running 30+km a week at the moment over 4 or 5 days, this will increase over the next few weeks as the half draws closer.

I started yoga a few weeks ago, and I LOOOOOOOOVE it. Its a great change from the fast pace of running all the time and its a bit cliched, but I feel more in tune with my body when I do it. I do ashtanga yoga and am also going to start a hatha yoga class in mid May.

I also have some free weights I bought a couple of weeks ago. My gym membership lapsed in January and I thought it was time I got back to doing some toning and strength exercises too.

I track all my exercise on my blog too, theres a link in my sig below.

I walk pretty much every day for 50-55 mins and do aqua aerobics once a week. My weight loss has slowed right down because I can still eat too much, so basically the exercise is helping me maintain. My restriction is slowly but surely getting there so looking forward to more weight loss soon.

I'm currently training for my first half marathon next month (if a knee injury I have can be sorted out), so running is a big chunk of my exercise and has been for about 6 months now. I'm running 30+km a week at the moment over 4 or 5 days, this will increase over the next few weeks as the half draws closer.

I started yoga a few weeks ago, and I LOOOOOOOOVE it. Its a great change from the fast pace of running all the time and its a bit cliched, but I feel more in tune with my body when I do it. I do ashtanga yoga and am also going to start a hatha yoga class in mid May.

I also have some free weights I bought a couple of weeks ago. My gym membership lapsed in January and I thought it was time I got back to doing some toning and strength exercises too.

I track all my exercise on my blog too, theres a link in my sig below.

She smiles how much weight did you lose before you started running? That is my goal but I still feel too cumbersome to move that fast, so its a quick walk right now.

I have to say I have never felt this good about exercise before, I actually feel bad if I think I may miss a day and that has never happened. In the past I would be looking for any small reason to skip and then blame no exercise at all on my busy day and running around after my kids.

I play netball two nights per week and that's about all the exercise I do. I am way too busy (does that sound like an excuse) to dedicate more time out of my week as I work full time and I have three young kids. Bit hard when I spend all weekend doing usual family stuff.

I find that I am coping much better with my fitness around the court. Last night's game was a cracker and although I was pretty puffed, there was no time when I actually 'gave up' and didn't follow the ball. I think my fitness level has improved by at least 50% by losing 13kgs! I wonder how I will go when I have lost all 30kg!

I am going to have to change my routine as my body will get used to that type of exercise. I did body combat and body pump classes a few years back and loved it, so I may take that up again if I can manage the time!

The exercise has definately helped, even though I was already exercising preband.

She smiles how much weight did you lose before you started running? That is my goal but I still feel too cumbersome to move that fast, so its a quick walk right now.

I'd be interested to know that too as I feel the same way. I started doing a bit of running (more like a quick shuffle really!) when I got down to 90kgs last time but I'd love to start sooner this time.

I'm training for a half marathon, I've run regularly since about 3 months after my surgery 2 and a bit years ago. I think I'd gotten down to about 97 kg at 5ft 10 when I started, and the 14 or so kilograms I'd lost made a BIG difference, my body was much lighter to carry around.

I started at Curves about six weeks back due to getting a free membership but its TORTURE for my back, I absolutely cant do it and will not be continuing. I've just discovered I have a fairly bad lumbar disc bulge at L4/L5 and L5/S1 so no wonder my back gives me problems.

I've been recommended to do pilates and its expensive, but I can get a rebate on it through my private health insurance so am going to ring up today and organise to start. I must say that yoga/pilates type of physique is more my goal than looking like Gillian off Biggest Loser, so I'm quite happy to fork out the money for it. I think with sciatic problems like I have, running is quite gentle, in that yes, there's pounding but its not twisting, sudden movements, and for me really, full vigorous gym work is not going to suit, the potential to flex your back when lifting a heavy weight is too great and that's when I set off the pain. I can handle squats and lower body stuff with a barbell, and I can do hand weights but all the bigger upper body machines have too much potential for injury for me. Its a shame, I love gym, but really pushups and tricep dips achieve the same goal.

Edited by Jachut

I too am in training for a half marathon. I started running jsut after I got into onederland, but that was because I finally joined a gym. Before I was doing workouts at home and I HATED walking/running outside. But if you take it REALLY slow I think a lot of people can do it. What I mean by REALLY slow is to build up gradually. I started by running for 10 seconds at a time, then built up to a tenth of a mile, then a quarter of a mile and after running and increasing slowly I ran 3 miles OUTSIDE for the first time in my life today. I did 5K on the treadmill the other day, but today was the first time outside. Now I am running in two 5K runs during the next two weekends and my half-marathon on June 29. So I officially started my 10 week training today for that half marathon today so running will be my primary exercise. However I have been doing the eliptical and weights at the gym for the last 4-5 months. Before that I was doing the Biggest Loser video. Tried yoga once and felt like a total doofus...didn't do it again!

Keep movin...doesn't matter what you are doing...just keep moving!

Just got back from the gym, that elliptical trainer is killing me I just cant get used to it I feel like Im going to die when Im on it and can only manage 6 minutes before I sneak off like a loser. I gues that means I should do more of it. I can only go twice this week as Im going to perth for my first fill YAY!!! Will definitely find a nice place to have a big walk while Im there if I can get time away from all the extended family that insist we visit when in Perth.

That's 1 more minute than I do on that elliptical trainer Nat! I have one at home and every time I walk past the spare room it taunts me "Come on, hop on, I'm gathering dust here". So far since banding I've only hopped on it once!!

I was running a bit at about 90kilos from memory, about 3 months out from my surgery. So I'd lost about 20 kilos. I felt very unco though as I am not a very athletic person by nature. I did my first organised 5km run at just under 90kilos and finished in 36 minutes, I was so proud of myself! I was mostly running at the gym back then on a treadmill for 15 or 20 minutes at a time in amongst my hour long workout. But then I really developed a passion for running. I built up my speed and strength over time, it certainly didn't and doesn't come naturally to me, it was a gradual thing. I did a few minutes at first and built up from there. I run outside now as my primary exercise and I tend to focus more on distances than time.

Hi:

I think we've got to exercise to be succesful. I cannot imagine where I'd be if I hadn't started an exercise program.

Until this past month I was walking. Started slow, worked up to walking about 2 hours per day. One half hour of this walking is on a pretty steep hill and my heart rate gets up to the 150's when I'm walking the hill.

In April I bought a trikke. I love my trikke. It's so much fun that it doesn't feel like exercising at all. However, I break into a sweat and my heart rate goes up to the 140's. In addition I found some muscles that I haven't noticed in 20+ years - calves, just below butt on thighs, near rib cage, and also on arms where the bat wings are! Here's a link to the thread on the trikke.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f81/new-exercise-equipment-54741/

I know that I'm still a long way from maintenance, but I think that exercise is going to be the best way to maintain the losses that we've worked so hard for. I have a friend who isn't banded that walks 7 miles every morning so that she can eat whatever she wants to and maintain her weight. She looks great.

Keep up all the hard work.

Take care.

Sue

I was running a bit at about 90kilos from memory, about 3 months out from my surgery.

Thats what I thought, guess I need to lose a few more bags of oranges before Im running.

Does anyone else have the insane urge to look at the weight of EVERYTHING and compare it to how much weight you have lost. I sooo wanted to try and pick up 8 2kg bags of oranges in the shop the other day to see what it felt like.