Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, i'm pretty new here...found this forum and thought it was good idea to join!!

I got my band on the 15th of April which was this past tuesday, i was in so much pain the first 3 days but by 4th day i felt like i healed, my mum had made some mash potato for the family so i had some (we are suppose to be on liquid for 2 weeks) along with that during the night i had some Soup which included very tiny thin noodles which goes down well the past 2 days i've done this now i wanna stop and go back to liquid untill my appointment with the doc.

I have no bad pains and dont really feel completely full everytime i eat just sometimes and i only have pains from the surgery. I can also eat pretty fast without any problem...

Do you think i did any damage?? i am worried that i did some harm to the band, I was on Optifast for 2 weeks before surgery and manage to loose an amazing 14kgs

Hi Missy. You are probably ok but I would definitely go back to liquids until your doc says its ok to move on to mushies. This is a very important time for ensuring that your band doesn't slip in the future and following your surgeons post op diet is crucial. So get back on the liquids and follow dr's orders. Good luck and congrats.

thanks mandi, i hope i didn't do any damage. Have you heard anyone do similar thing to what i did?

Hi, i was banded on April 14th. I have also had mashed potato's twice but they were so runny i could almost drink them from a straw. i went right back to liquids after that. I hope i have not done any harm to my band. I don't have a follow up appt. till the 28th. However, on the up side, i have lost 20 pounds so far! Good luck to us all!

Hi all, i'm pretty new here...found this forum and thought it was good idea to join!!

I got my band on the 15th of April which was this past tuesday, i was in so much pain the first 3 days but by 4th day i felt like i healed, my mum had made some mash potato for the family so i had some (we are suppose to be on liquid for 2 weeks) along with that during the night i had some Soup which included very tiny thin noodles which goes down well the past 2 days i've done this now i wanna stop and go back to liquid untill my appointment with the doc.

I have no bad pains and dont really feel completely full everytime i eat just sometimes and i only have pains from the surgery. I can also eat pretty fast without any problem...

Do you think i did any damage?? i am worried that i did some harm to the band, I was on Optifast for 2 weeks before surgery and manage to loose an amazing 14kgs

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on getting banded!

I actually was allowed to have mashed potatoes as a part of my full liquid diet, right after I got home. I didn't have it until it was close to the time I could have soft foods ("mushies"). I was also careful that I made sure the mashed potatoes were very soft, almost a little runny. The mashed potatoes were like liquid in my mouth, so there was no problem at all. The only thing was that it was a little heavy and I wasn't hungry for hours. The first time I ate it, I got really sleepy and fell asleep lol.

I have had no problems with the mashed potatoes, and according to the fluoroscopy x-rays, my band is fine and in place as it should be. If there was any damage at all, you would be in serious pain. You will know beyond doubt if something went wrong. You should be fine, and I wouldn't worry about it. Again, congratulations!!!! :biggrin:

MYdesign.png

What was decieving for me was that anything would go down as long as i chewed it enough. I totally skipped the puree part of the diet (Dr approved) and at week2 was on the soft food diet. I was a good boy and stayed on liq until after week 2 and so far have not had any problems, but as far as what foods to eat no restriction yet. The band is a reminder that I need to eat better so I have been doing great as far as controlling portions.

There seems to be a huge difference in the post-op dietary requirements between doctors. I can't believe some people are being told to stay on liquids for anywhere up to six weeks.

My surgeon gave me a info sheet that said that I could go onto very soft foods (scrambled eggs, mashed veges and the like) from five days post-op. The only proviso is that I have to make sure that I eat tiny portions and eat slowly.

I only had to do Clear Liquids for a couple of days.

My doc told me that the reason for the variations in the post-op diet are for two reasons. 1 experience and training on the doc's part and 2 (and most important) surgical techniques. So if your doc says to stay on liquids that is what his technique requires. So I would go back on liquids and if you can't seem to do that, contact your doc and see if he/she will allow you to progress faster. Some may, some may not. I found that by sticking to the post-op diet it set me up for success in the future. 98% of this band is will power and I know that people don't want to hear that, but speaking at 8 months post-op, I can tell you that I did almost all the work myself. The band was just there with some gentle (and sometimes NOT so gentle) reminders.

Good luck. You can do this. The words "nothing tasts as good as thin feels" most likely rings hollow right now, but when you get to goal, you realize just how meaningful those words are! I have some good Soup recipes if you want them that actually make you feel like you are getting something substantial. PM me and I will send them too you.