Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australia - Teenagers turn to weight loss - Read this

Ok so usually stuff in the paper doesnt annoy me but I woke up this morning and my mum was like read the front of the Courier Mail (paper in aus) so I did and I saw this article that kind of pissed me off. It's about teenagers turning to weightloss, I have absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that teenagers want it except for one little thing, I definetly don't think anyone under the age of 16 should get it. I was told numerous times while I was in hospital (been in on and off since I was 10 - nothing to do with my weight) and doctors told me that they can't do certain operations because my body was still growing which I completely understood you know so I thought well if I can't get it then I'll wait until I'm at least 18 which I think many people should do, I mean who cares if people think of you as "the fat person" YOU will know that's not true.

Anyway I thought I would attach the article to see what you all thought. Another thing that annoyed me is the comments that some people left blasting bigger people, sure we do tend to have more problems than others but it's like they didn't even want to give bigger people a chance just saying "Your fat it's your fault, go to the gym and work your a** off to get it off instead of paying $15,000 to get out of it the easy way"

This is the article

Teenagers turn to weight-loss operations | The Courier-Mail

Well, I'm fifteen. I'm about to get my band. I honestly think this is the best thing I've EVER done for me. Yes, our body's are still growing, but the band isn't going to interfere with this. We'll still grow normally, just like you. We'll still loose the weight, just like you. For some of the kids here in the United States, it's pretty much the only option left. We're the new generation, and we need to get this under control. I personally think, if you want this band, and your willing to work for it/with it, then go ahead and get it. It's a big step for a kid, but it's the best decision I think, that they'll ever make.

-Nicole<3

Well, Sarah, the answer is not always black and white. It is better, genarally speaking, to wait until the bones are done growing before attempting surgery. Having said that, there is a point at which extra weight starts to really have a negative on health. Some teens may not can afford to wait.

And "get it off the easy way"?!? Everybody that's been banded knows it's not a magic box that lets the person eat what they want and lose the weight while they sleep. I don't blame you for getting steamed at that kind of ignorance.

Nikki, sounds like you have the right attitude...

Yeah those comments are terribly misinformed and mean spirited. I'm super sensitive about that kind of thing, too, so every time I read or hear something like that I get really depressed :D

Yeah those comments are terribly misinformed and mean spirited. I'm super sensitive about that kind of thing, too, so every time I read or hear something like that I get really depressed :D

Im sorry I didnt mean for that kinda thing to happen I just think that's horrible that some people have to resort to it, it would be so much easier if fast foods were never invented you know? And although I know alot of people under 16 need it, it should never have come to this if you know what I mean? I see a woman when I go shopping with her 2 children she looks about 250kgs - so about 500 lbs and her daughters are slowly catching up to her, it's just ridiculous that people aren't willing to accept this kind of thing I mean if some chick wanted to get bigger boobs there would be no criticism about that now would there?

Hey Nikki I am 22 and have been over weight since I was about 14. I didn't even know that they would do it before you were 18 in the USA. I know how it is to feel like you have to defend yourself because of your age, I got married at 15. I don't believe that your age should put a barrier on your life I think it is just a number and you should be treated like the age that you act. So please don't take this the wrong way, but how much overweight are you to be having it done so early in life?

Yea, I've seen it on the news quite a bit here recently (the option of banding for teenagers). Honestly, I wish it had been available as an option when I was younger. My knee joints would be stronger, my skin wouldn't have lost damn near all elasticity and my overall perception of myself would likely be better.

That said, I realize that it isn't anyone's fault but mine that I'm in the situation I'm in. I seriously lack will-power and have rarely exercised as often as I should, for extended periods in my life.

For the most part, the doctors I've met here in Oz don't seem to be in it for just the money. The band doctors where I go seem to genuinely be in it because they want to help people to live a better life. As such I would hope that, should this option be available to persons under the age of 18, the same tests and what not would be performed on them as I had before the procedure. If they proved not to be a good candidate for banding, I would assume the surgeon wouldn't operate. Of course, I've been wrong before lol.

Im sorry I didnt mean for that kinda thing to happen I just think that's horrible that some people have to resort to it, it would be so much easier if fast foods were never invented you know? And although I know alot of people under 16 need it, it should never have come to this if you know what I mean? I see a woman when I go shopping with her 2 children she looks about 250kgs - so about 500 lbs and her daughters are slowly catching up to her, it's just ridiculous that people aren't willing to accept this kind of thing I mean if some chick wanted to get bigger boobs there would be no criticism about that now would there?

Oh I didn't mean what you said, I mean the tone of some of the comments on the article--people flinging around mean names, saying that people who have WLS are weak etc.

As for people under age 18, I don't know. I'm a little torn. I was overweight as a teenager so I can sympathize but even though I was by all standards a very mature and intelligent teenager (focused on school and family, never in any trouble, not taking risks, top grades, top university etc), I still don't think that I would have fully grasped the full weight of that kind of decision back then.

I also think that reading that article and some of the posts by some teens here who have had it or are thinking about it, the health reasons are really just kind of thrown in there as an afterthought. It often sounds to me that the decision is being made purely for social reasons which seems a little irresponsible and possibly dangerous.

Each individual is different, though, and I'm certainly in no position to say who should or shouldn't do what with their bodies. I just think that the medical profession needs to be much more careful with the younger patients and possibly hold them to a stricter standard than adults.

I really don't know what the answer is, but it makes me nervous to see people who haven't finished growing having surgery and getting foreign objects implanted in their bodies. This is elective surgery when it comes down to it, so why not elect to wait a few years? It may seem like forever to you now, but 3-5 years is nothing in the scheme of things.