Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Free - Puppies in Houston Area

Not sure if this is the correct group to start this in...but here goes:

If you know anyone in Houston who is looking for a puppy, then I got them!!

Mother is Australian Cattle Dog (small) and was picked up by Animal Control on Saturday. They had been living in an abandoned, burned down house. If no owner claimed them, they would be put down after 3 days. I called, and no owner had claimed them, so I went and picked them up.

There are 9 puppies, and they all are healthy looking and moving around. I have no idea what the dad is. Possibly choc lab, as there is a male that runs around in the neighborhood. (See thread about long dog-napping story! :) I have a history with dogs...some weakness in me that I have a soft spot for animals over people.)

The mother was given rabies shots at Animal Control. She has an old, weathered collar around her neck - so at some point she belonged to someone. I put pads down in my kitchen and over the night she used them, so she is trained or very smart. Or both. She lets me pick up the puppies, and put them back. I sat in the front of the cage for a while, and she just watches. She's timid and scared, but not aggressive.

I am trying to find a home for all of them, mother included. The puppies are only about one week old, so when they are ready, they can go to a good home.

[ATTACH]13169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13170[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13173[/ATTACH]

Thanks...and if this is the wrong place, then Mods, please move to correct location.

Damn I wish I was closer!! I would foster a few of them for you until homes were found!! They are so adorable!!

I know! It's going to be heartbreaking to give them away.

I've never fostered any animals before (and this isn't foster arrangement. Since animal control would be putting them down faster than I could get the paperwork approved, I had to claim them as my own.) I've also never had puppies before. The closest was a 3 month old cockerpoo my mother got when I was really young.

This is definitely fascinating to watch her.

Your shelter doesn't have a foster program??????? The goal of any shelter (SHOULD BE) is to adopt out and find forever homes!!!! The one you have seems to suck pretty bad to put down week old babies....

I was surprised, too, at that. When I showed up to get them, at 5:30 on a Wed, there were 2 people (me and another lady) picking up animals, and 5 families there to drop off. One guy was handing in 2 dogs because his shop is closing and they're his guard dogs. So, 6 dogs were dropped off, 2 dogs picked up. I guess with that kind of overflow, they can't keep up. I asked the worker how he could do it, and he shrugged and said, "You get used to it." They hadn't given her any shots or medical treatment, and I think it was because they'd see it as a waste if they just had to put her down.

There was a story in our area about a year ago about a dog that got lost. It was deaf or blind - or both, and animal control picked it up and euthanized it that same night. The next morning, the owners called and were told. It was on the news.

So, maybe Houston isn't pet friendly...? I dunno. I just think the number of animals is too much for them. On my street alone there are tons of stray dogs, and every day I see one or two on my way to work.

Since moving to Houston, I've seen dozens of dead dogs on the road. I never saw that in VA. I don't know if VA was better equipped, or people didn't let their dogs roam so much.

If I can't find homes for these guys, I'll be looking into no-kill faciliites.

Edited by Gone4Now

TBH I think you should report that shelter to the SPCA, most shelters are sponsored partly by them (if this one is an independent one then I could be wrong) but that goes against 100% against SPCA policy.

Gloucester,

Try posting a message about them on AuCaDo website. They have a "rescue" section in their forum and you may be able to find either an Australian Cattle Dog rescue or a private individual to take them. You may have to sign up to post, but it is free.

Where did you live in VA (am I correct in guessing Gloucester)? We moved to OK from the Hampton Roads area of VA a couple of years ago. There are definately more strays in OK than from where we lived in VA. I have taken in 5 strays since we moved here and see dogs on the side of the road all the time. The county we live in doesn't even have an animal shelter or animal control, so it is a huge problem.

Good luck finding homes & thanks for caring enough to save mama & those precious puppies.

Pix - thanks. I had no idea. I was just taking it all in. I will contact them and find out what the rules are, and why.

Lisa - I was from Northern VA area...closer to DC. Not too many strays there.

OMG!!! I wish I lived in your area!

I would take the mommy!!!!

You have a heart of gold. Good luck finding homes for every one.

Ack! I'm an idiot and ended up getting locked out of the AuCaDo site. I was doing too many things at once! I'll try in a little bit again.

I have been calling my area for no-kill rescue places. I think I may end up with the mother, but I think the puppies will get good homes.

One thing that scared me is a website I found where it strongly discouraged any ads saying: Free puppies to a good home.

Well, damn! That's what I've been doing! It states that people will swoop them up and use them as bait for fighting, raise them as fighting dogs, or use them at puppy mills.

My goodness...don't animals have a chance? Aren't humans supposed to take care of and respect the animals that we share this world with? I know, I'm unrealistic sometimes, and a bit naive. I just can't image that kind of cruelty.

But thank you to all of you for your good wishes.

Ok, I did some looking and I knew I had seen something on animal planet about the Houston SPCA Houston SPCA: Houston SPCA Homepage They have a TV program and from what i can tell that except in certain cases they are a no kill shelter (extreme cases that don't pass the animal behavior stuff are put down) is this the shelter you got them from?

No, the Harris Co. animal control picked them up and that's where I got them.

I've taken a stray to the SPCA before and they put her down. She had complications from a pregnancy (don't know where those puppies were) and she was a pitt bull. I called later and they said they normally don't give out information, but if it was a pitt bull they immediately put them down.

Houston SPCA says in its paperwork that if they can't place the animal you're bringing in, or if it's aggressive then they will put it down.

It's interesting how many places are saying that they're a no-kill shelter, but leave themselves that loophole of "in certain cases". Or, they just say that if they can't find a place for them, they get turned into the SPCA - and that falls under that paperwork agreement.

Honestly, I agree - if the dog is aggressive, or bites people, then perhaps it should be put to sleep. But, puppies? Maybe they were just being dramatic because they wanted me to take them, but it seemed extreme to me.

Damn, that is sad. Kill shelters piss me off so bad.

Okay, just called Houston SPCA - they'll take the puppies after they're weaned, and before, too.

They put down dogs if health or temperment is bad. The mother isn't doing so good right now. I'm taking her to the vet on Sat, so I'll see then if she's healthy enough to take in to the shelter. :)

Thanks, Pix!

Gloucester,

Bless you for taking in this dog and her babies. I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face. I, like you, just cannot fathom how some people can be so cruel and apathetic when it comes to animals. I guess I'm too soft, but this kind of thing just gets to me like few other things do. I would take a puppy in a minute if I wasn't so far away (Wisconsin). But THANK YOU on behalf of animal lovers everywhere for having such a kind heart.

Robin