Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did your period come back?

It's been about 100 pounds since I've had even an irregular period. I don't get them now at all. I'm wondering, as you all lost weight, how much or at what weight did you see your period come back and with what regularity?

Not that I WANT it back, just do want a baby sometime and am interested. :smile2:

MrsFlipFlops

Several years ago I lost about 50 lbs doing the Atkins diet. I went from 301 to 250. Once I lost down to about 260, I started having regular periods again. Of course I gained all the weight I lost back plus more. My periods starting becoming irregular again. I would only have one every few months.

I was actually on my period the day of my surgery (how embarrassing, right?). Since I've been banded, I've had a period every month. I guess just losing that little bit in the beginning made all the difference. I weighed 330 when I started my pre-op diet, two weeks before my surgery. I probably lost about 15 lbs the first week after surgery. And then pretty consistently ever since.

I know it's different for everyone, but just losing that little bit helped me tremendously. Good luck to you and hope everything works out for you.

My periods have been back since the week after surgery . And frankly since I am not having any more kids its one thing I could live with out !! LOL

But I got my first one a week after surgery ( THAT was fun) and I have had one The last week of the month like clock work ever since !

HTH

Mindy

I had a period shortly after surgery, but then not again until the first of April. I have lost from 255 to 198. I was right at 200 when I had this last period. I really feel like I will see aunt Flow regularly now. In fact, I have gotten pregnant only once. I weighed 195 when I became pregnant. it seems that things begin to work when I am under 200.

I was always regular while I was overweight (270). It has only been since I lost 100 lbs that I missed a month. Maybe it's my age (47) and menopause kicking it. I thought I would ask my doc when I see him on the 22nd.

Mine started back up shortly after surgery, so maybe I was around 250? I'm not quite under 200 yet and they are completely regular. I'm not sure if it is only the weight loss or also eating so much less & so much better.

Im the exact opposite. My period was regular 60 pounds ago..even after having 3 kids, ALWAYS regular. Now that ive been losing, my periods are whacky and have a mind of their own.

and another thing, why cant we lose the hair on our legs and other areas :confused: instead of our hair on our heads....

I havent had a period in like 2 years and before that i would say 2 years b4 they were irregular, when i hit the 300 mark i hadnt seen a period and at first im like how nice but then i miss having them but a few days after my surgery i had like a 3 daY period i was so happy!! So as we lose weight things will get back to normal!! GOOD LUCK

BANDED MARCH 26TH 2008

363 336 GOAL WEIGHT IS 160

DR.GLASCOCK in Iowa did my surgery awesome doctor!!

I havent had a period in like 2 years and before that i would say 2 years b4 they were irregular, when i hit the 300 mark i hadnt seen a period and at first im like how nice but then i miss having them but a few days after my surgery i had like a 3 daY period i was so happy!! So as we lose weight things will get back to normal!! GOOD LUCK

BANDED MARCH 26TH 2008

363 336 GOAL WEIGHT IS 160

DR.GLASCOCK in Iowa did my surgery awesome doctor!!

YOu did not have ANY Period for 2 yrs ? If so that is not good for you .

That increases your risk for cervical cancer . I have always been amazed at docs who do not discuss this or ask this question with PCOS patients.

My doc wanted me to induce my periods with provera every other month , I told her no because my Migraines get so bad with my periods so we agreed to once every 3 or 4 months . But i think there are docs out there that do not believe in PCOS, i dont get docs letting patients go for yrs with out periods, its so dangerious !

(not knocking you in any way , its a serious point that i think people need to know about and im glad you brought up )

Mindy

Hi honey,

I have Pcos too. I was diagnosed in 1993 at age 20. It can be a devistating disorder. If you haven't had a period in a year or more (actually any time you don't have one after 60 days) you need to go see your ob/gyn or see a reproductive endocrinologist. I went through infertility treatments and had a daughter in 1997. I then got pregnant 4 years later after loosing about 20 lbs. 4 years later I had another little boy. My dh has had a vasectomy now. You don't want the lining in your uterus to get too thick, which is why you would not want to go more than60 days to see your doc. Tha can cause lots of problems.

I now have lost 53 lbs since december, when I was banded. I have my period like clock work now. So it can happen. You are young and should not let this disorder take over your body. It can have devistating long term effects.

Mine started after I just lost about 40lbs about 260 for me. which is strange since I have weighed that before I gained it and I didn't have normal cycles even when I weighed 200. I think it is also a combo of not eating bad things or high GI carbs.

happy to have found this PCOS group...

anywho...

I had 'fairly' regular periods but after this surgery I've only had 1 period and then over a month ago I had one day of bleeding... what the heck?! Not sure what is going on.

Any of you had this to deal with?

i stopped having periods due to the decrease in calories from the surgery. still got pregnant without a period...but miscarried.

i have had 2 pregnancies, and i have one child, each time that i got pregnant i did not have periods. you can ovulate without menstration. though rare, it is possible.

doctor told me that you are EXTREMELY fertile while losing weight, because loss of fat cells increases your estrogen levels.

i know that doesn't help with your exact question, but it does give hope that loss of fat cells increases fertility.

Mine came back one month after being banded and I have lost about 20 lbs. It was the most painful period I have experienced! I thought I was going to pass out!

On a related note, after only having periods once or twice a year for about 8 years, this once a month thing is for the birds. I just had my 3rd regular cycle, and it seem slike as soon as my periods stops I am PMSing in preparation for the next one. YUCK!!