Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study and liquid diet questions

Hi All,

I am prebanding and have been reading many of the posts. A couple of questions have come up now. First, I have read about having the sleed study first and have seen several posts about it, but my doctor isn't having me do that. Thoughts? I even asked him if he could test for it and he said that he would do a pulse ox in the hospital. Second, I noticed that some folks said that they weren't required to do a liquid diet pre-banding. I am supposed to, which is fine. Just wondering why some do and some don't?

Thanks for the insight!

Be glad that you're not having to do the sleep apnea test. I guess your doctor figure's that with the Lap Band surgery if you had sleep apnea it wouldn't be for long, so the study would be worthless really. Just another expense for you.

And about the liquid diet before surgery, that's different because of the Dr. you choose to do your surgery. It's really up to him. I had to do one for 7 days when I had mine. And that's to shrink your liver so the surgery will be a lot easier on the doctor doing it and on you too.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Tammy P

Each Dr is different and their requirements are different going into banding as well. I am currently on a 4 week liquid pre-op diet and doing well. My Dr. normally has people do a sleep study, but I did not have to either.

10 Days before surgery i am nervous i don't know what the rate pain after the surgery is going to be like & how soon after will i feel hungry !! The scale of pain and not knowing is making me nervous and will I walk and sit funny for a couple days after will people notice (meaning my family) cause I am not telling no one except a good friend.

I did a sleep study and was glad I did.

After the first two weeks, now I sleep so much better and my BP and weight was down before the lap band.

Still use cpap until doc says no more need, but it really makes me feel better in the morning. It really protects the heart.

Some doctors use different procedures but my doctor had me do the pre-banding diet and I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks! :)

Hi All,

I am prebanding and have been reading many of the posts. A couple of questions have come up now. First, I have read about having the sleed study first and have seen several posts about it, but my doctor isn't having me do that. Thoughts? I even asked him if he could test for it and he said that he would do a pulse ox in the hospital. Second, I noticed that some folks said that they weren't required to do a liquid diet pre-banding. I am supposed to, which is fine. Just wondering why some do and some don't?

Thanks for the insight!

I knew I had sleep apnea before I got the surgery, as I took the overnight test....I also had 3 other co-morbities....Perhaps you have 2 or more other co-morbities, and the Dr. will just take your oxygen in the hospital....Dr's are different, so just go along!!.....My best, Chuck:thumbs_up:

Our surgeon doesnt require a sleep study, but wants a 14 day liquid diet. He said it wasnt a hazing ritual, but he wanted to be able to get around the liver. Normally he does 10 day, but my husband is bigger so he wants him to do a 14 day diet. He said he would most likely lose 20-25 lbs on this diet before surgery. That would be a great jump start.

Hello, I just did my sleep test last night. I went to a pulmonary sleep study lab and they have a private room. They hook up wires on you its very simple. It was hard for me to get to sleep as I was in a strange place but I finally did. I arrived for the test at 9pm and left at 6am.

Around 1am they came in a put a mask on me to see if that would help me sleep. The nurse said it helped me to sleep and everything ran smooth not sure if that means I have sleep apnea or not will find out in a few days. I have read many post about how awfull the test is but my experiance was great the staff was awesome and very accomedating to me. Once your all done and go home they told me to use dishsoap to get the goop out of your hair ( from the probes they place in 6 spots) this worked excellant and the goop all came out easy.

My next step is to see the surgeon yeah I am very excited and you will really like this forum there is so much information.

If you have any questions feel free to email me jazma2007@yahoo.com

Take care