Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have weight problems as a child?

No. I wasn't overweight until I was 28 - after my daughter was born.

But now I'm less than 50 pounds from goal. What a great 11 1/2 months it's been.

Sue

Interesting question. I spent my entire childhood and teens years being told I was fat by my mother. As a young adult I gave up struggling with my weight because I was never skinny enough (according to her voice in my head :smile2:). Looking back at pictures, I was certainly not fat. As a teens, and until I was in my early 20's, I wore a size 10-12. That sure isn't fat! Both my 2 sisters and I have all had significant struggles with weight. All of us being told we were too fat and finally giving up to never being "good" enough. One sister lost 80 lb. with diet and exercise, another has GBS 5 years ago and looks spectacular and I had LBS 11/07. NOW my mother bitches because she thinks my sisters are too skinny (They aren't. Both weigh about 145.) Through lots of hard work, we have learned to tune her out.

My weight has been a struggle since I developed boobs ... yes .. since then ... I didn't like having a willowy figure with these huge knockers. So I started gaining to try and "even me out" I didn't realize then what I was doing to myself. My mom at the time was a bit larger and my dad was skinny as can be. I wish I knew then what I know now.... I would have never put myself on that cycle of gaining/dieting. But when your 9 and all the sudden you wake up with c/d boobs .. yeah its traumatic :smile2:.

As a teen I hovered between size 14 (9th grade) and by my senior year I was roughly 300lbs. I lost half of that back to a comfortable 150(ish). Got in an abusive marriage gained up to 250(ish). Left the abusive marriage and lost down to 160(ish) had two kids and here I sit with a stubborn 245(ish) that wont budge.

Yes, 130 lbs when I was 7 years old. 200 lbs at 10. I often wonder how life would have been different if I was "normal weight".

Yes, yes, yes. I've been overweight since I was 6 years old (pictures show a cute but chubby kid, though definitely not fat). First physician referral to a nutritionist when I was about 9. First taunts for being fat at 10-11. Diet Center at 11. Then Weight Watchers. Then another nutritionist. And so on.

I've struggled to figure it out, as I don't have any of the triggers others have mentioned. I have a great relationship with my parents, who were never critical of me and are still happily married; I've never been in an abusive relationship; I don't have kids. Other than moving around a lot when I was young, I had a pretty idyllic childhood, and I don't know how I ended up here.

Yes, I've been fat since even before I started school. It ruined most of my life. And I still struggle everyday. I can't imagine the joy I would have in my life if I would have just been normal sized.

Yes! I have been fat forever. Looking back at pictures I was skinny until about 2nd grade (not sure how old that is), where I started gaining. I too think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. I was the tallest girl in Kindergarten and the kids called me fatty. I was bone thin. I remember not wanting to wear a bathing suit at my birthday parties and such. I seriously was skinny. The teasing didn't stop. I started gaining weight in 2nd grade and quit growing tall! lol, I am only 5'4" now. I was lucky that the teasing stopped a year or so later. I guess someone was fatter than me :-(

I wish I could go through my school years again skinny and see what I missed . . . swimming parties, shopping with the girls, Formals, etc. I always made excuses so I didn't have to go. I think back then, I was mentally a lot fatter than I physically was.

Yes! I have been fat forever. Looking back at pictures I was skinny until about 2nd grade (not sure how old that is), where I started gaining. I too think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. I was the tallest girl in Kindergarten and the kids called me fatty. I was bone thin. I remember not wanting to wear a bathing suit at my birthday parties and such. I seriously was skinny. The teasing didn't stop. I started gaining weight in 2nd grade and quit growing tall! lol, I am only 5'4" now. I was lucky that the teasing stopped a year or so later. I guess someone was fatter than me :-(

I wish I could go through my school years again skinny and see what I missed . . . swimming parties, shopping with the girls, Formals, etc. I always made excuses so I didn't have to go. I think back then, I was mentally a lot fatter than I physically was.

i totally relate wendy

Yeah, I was thin thin thin until, er, age 6? Probably like, 2nd grade, hahaha. I'm not sure what happened, probably the early onset of purberty since I started maturing really young, but by 3rd grade I was really chubbed out and started slim fast and weight watchers, I never really lost much weight though. I thinned out slightly in 5th grade at age 10, when I grew a couple inches, I was about 4'11 or 5'0 and 117 lbs, but ever since then I've been putting on more and more weight every year. I've lost 20 pounds here and there on weight watchers and Atkins and such, but never could get to a normal weight. Every year I gain more and more, about 15 pounds in the last year or so. I finally decided to do something more drastic, hopefully I can still have a chance at a better life while I still have the chance.

I was overweight as a child. My doctor put me on my first diet at age eight. I blame my father for not allowing me to have dessert (of course he always had 'his' dessert) so I began sneaking food. I also blame my mother for not kicking my butt and getting me outside to play. That is how my saga began.

Nope - I was normal or even thin through early adulthood. I'm one of those who started having problems after my first pregnancy. That, combined with bad habits caused me to gain 100 lbs in the 10 years since my first pregnancy. EEK! So - it makes it very hard for me to see people who I haven't seen in a while - because I'm sure they are shocked at how I've let myself go. And of course - now I'm the fatty in a family full of normal sized people. But as many others are saying....not for long.

Even as a little kid I was on the chubbier side but it didn't really strike until I was around grade 4 (9 I think) I was definitely one of the heavier kids (also taller kids) in my small elementary school. BUT I was an active kid, in Grade 7 (12 I think) I was on the soccer team, volleyball team, basketbal team, did track and field and played rugby at lunch. I wasn't a lazy kid, but I hit puberty with a vengance when I was 11 and by the time I was in high school (13) I had DDD breasts and was about size 16 or so (I remember being in grade 9 and shopping at cotton ginny plus, one of the ONLY plus size stores in Canada at the time and the clothes were horrible). By the time I graduated high school I was no longer active as my breasts were about a H cup (I had a breast reduction at 19 where I went from a H to a C/D, 10 lbs taken off) and I was about a size 20/22. I had various hormone tests done but nothing ever came back as being off so who knows. I have not been thin, ever. So when people say that phrase "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" I'm sure they are right but I don't know how "thin feels" so I can't relate.

Edited by Ang1982
speeelingz

Even as a little kid I was on the chubbier side but it didn't really strike until I was around grade 4 (9 I think) I was definitely one of the heavier kids (also taller kids) in my small elementary school. BUT I was an active kid, in Grade 7 (12 I think) I was on the soccer team, volleyball team, basketbal team, did track and field and played rugby at lunch. I wasn't a lazy kid, but I hit puberty with a vengance when I was 11 and by the time I was in high school (13) I had DDD breasts and was about size 16 or so (I remember being in grade 9 and shopping at cotton ginny plus, one of the ONLY plus size stores in Canada at the time and the clothes were horrible). By the time I graduated high school I was no longer active as my breasts were about a H cup (I had a breast reduction at 19 where I went from a H to a C/D, 10 lbs taken off) and I was about a size 20/22. I had various hormone tests done but nothing ever came back as being off so who knows. I have not been thin, ever. So when people say that phrase "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" I'm sure they are right but I don't know how "thing feels" so I can't relate.

Yeah I knnow what you mean, in high school I was always really active, I played softball and I did competitive dance my whole life, practicing 4 nights a week. By the time I was in 5th grade I was a full c, was a DD by 9th, and by senior year a G or DDD, where I am now, but I've always had big boobs, even when I was playing sports and such. Since I've stopped dance (it only goes up to grade 12) I haven't gained AS much as I would have thought, maybe 20 pounds since senior year, although thats only 2 1/2 years ago... but my point is that yes, I don't know what its like to be thin either, at least not that I can remember, but I sure would like to find out :thumbup:

I think that I got fat in grade school. I remember the lunch ladies asking if I wanted two pieces of bread and then second servings after everyone else was served. I went on Atkins along with both of my parents at age 8 or 9, lost a few pounds, but gained it back quickly. My mom even enrolled me in dancing classes, hoping that it would help me to lose weight....I remained fat, and still have two left feet.

The first time that I went to New Orleans, I was about 9 and we were visiting St Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter, an older lady stopped by our pew on her way out of the church and she told me that I was a beautiful child and that I should lose weight because I would have a better life if I wasn't so chubby. I just nodded and said okay.

My mom is a seamstress, so she made most of my clothes, but I remember wanting some "B B" jeans when I was about 10 years old and the only pair that fit me was about 10 inches too long! The only place that had ready made clothes to fit me was the huskie section at Sears, ugh! I still cannot bring myself to shop at Sears for anything.

I was teased quite a bit, got the old "fatty, fatty, two by four, can't fit through the kitchen door" but it never really bothered me much. Until 6th grade, when a boy called me "Fat Albert's wife!" I was furious and actually left school without permission and walked home. Looking back, I suppose that I was hurt and getting mad was the only way that I knew to deal with it.

In high school, I hung out with the popular kids and was pretty happy, but still fat. I went on Nutria System my senior year and got down to a size 17/18 for my senior prom. My prom date was even fatter than me, I didn't have any boyfriends in school, he was a friend of a friend.

When I was 22, I went on pills and lost about 70 pounds. It was such an unhealthy way to diet! I remember losing 25 pounds in 12 days because I ate nothing but diet pills and orange juice during that time. That got me down to my lowest weight, about 170 and I was a size 16. That was 20 years ago and I have remained on an up and down roller coaster (mostly up)

I have never been married, have had boyfriends, but not had any long term relationships. I've never been pregnant and now it is too late to have children. I rarely go out anymore and have become a real couch potato. YES, I too wonder what life would have been like for me had I listened to the lady in the church.

My insurance has an exclusion for WLS, so I am trying to save as much as I can to pay for this surgery. I am so ready to get this done and begin losing weight and start feeling good about myself.