Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband surgery in Mexico

I am sorry if I offended anyone who had there surgery done in Mexico. When I was at the info. meeting in Boise Idaho there was a person that had theres done in Mexico it was really giving her a bad time. She asked the Dr. if he could work on her. He told her no she would have to go to the Surgeon back in Mexico. I am so glad there was success in having there surgery done in Mexico. I know that if I would have complications with my lapband I would like to be as close to my Dr. office. I applaud everyone who has had this surgery. You get a new lease on life. :thumbup:

I had a stupid nurse in Massachusetts once. Are all nurses in Massachusetts stupid? My mom had a doctor in Washington whose main source of income seemed to be from drug companies. Does this mean all doctors in Washington are money grubbing insensitive jerks?

I'm just saying that all of a sudden we have several people here who have no history on the forum and whose main point of posting is to make blanket statements about how no one should ever go to Mexico. Unless there is more information for them to give us, I would not lend their statements much credence.

If they are truly patients who have had bad experiences with their doctors, by all means share those experiences. But generalizations are not helpful. When I ask for specifics, it is because I am trying to figure out what went wrong for them and who or what should be avoided.

I believe that US doctors who will not help Mexican patients are refusing to do so not because of any malpractice fears, but because they are upset they just lost the opportunity to charge someone a whole lot of money.

I am from Boise and I am considering the lap band in Mexico. I had a friend who had Gastric bypass in Canada and did wonderful. Then I had a another friend who had the same surgery in Boise Idaho and has had problems ever since and will continue to do so for the rest of her life. She even had to have a reversal in a Seattle Washington hospital. She was lucky that he would even take her as a patient. I think it all depends on how the persons body handles it.

Right now though, I am looking around, taking notes and getting ready for my surgery when I find the right one. Heck, I don't even qualify in the states.. My BMI is 36. I do qualify in Mexico.

I just wanted to throw in my experience in Mexico, I just got banded 6 days ago by Dr. Kuri in TJ, Mexico, and have had a great experience (except for the language barrier w/ nurses and staff) everything perfect....oh yeah and getting across the border coming back LOL....And trust me no one was as sceptical(sp?) as my husband, but he is sold now....the hospital was cleaner than most I've seen in the US....hope this helps...Cindy ( by the way my fill Dr. in Kansas City was taught by Dr Kuri and he does take all his patients w/out question,so I also have a Dr. close to home)

I just wanted to throw in my experience in Mexico, I just got banded 6 days ago by Dr. Kuri in TJ, Mexico, and have had a great experience (except for the language barrier w/ nurses and staff) everything perfect....oh yeah and getting across the border coming back LOL....And trust me no one was as sceptical(sp?) as my husband, but he is sold now....the hospital was cleaner than most I've seen in the US....hope this helps...Cindy ( by the way my fill Dr. in Kansas City was taught by Dr Kuri and he does take all his patients w/out question,so I also have a Dr. close to home)

Dr. Kuri? What hospital is he from? I fear going to other places. I mean you hear of mexico being horrible but, I think there is "horrible" in the states too. I am just angry that the states are over charging. I mean, 1-5 thousand ok... But, we are talking about the same surgery that Mexico charges which is around what, 8500 at the most and here in Boise it's around 25K........... how rediculous is that????

You need to fill me in on how you are doing now. And let me know how I can get ahold of that Dr. of yours so I can do more research...

He is at Hospital Angeles, he has a web site it is lapbandsurgery.com1-888-223-4046 ...I am feeling great today just a little sore..Just a quick bit on how good I felt the day after, we got a cab driver to take us on a 4 hour tour of Tijuana and the surrounding areas the day after surgery, I was sore and the bumpy roads hurt a little, then on day 2 after,we had a 15 hr dayto get home from Mexico..So on Friday I did sleep most of the day.....but really I feel great not any pain just sore...Cindy email me if you want to ask any ?'s i will be glad to help

I had a stupid nurse in Massachusetts once. Are all nurses in Massachusetts stupid? My mom had a doctor in Washington whose main source of income seemed to be from drug companies. Does this mean all doctors in Washington are money grubbing insensitive jerks?

I'm just saying that all of a sudden we have several people here who have no history on the forum and whose main point of posting is to make blanket statements about how no one should ever go to Mexico. Unless there is more information for them to give us, I would not lend their statements much credence.

If they are truly patients who have had bad experiences with their doctors, by all means share those experiences. But generalizations are not helpful. When I ask for specifics, it is because I am trying to figure out what went wrong for them and who or what should be avoided.

I believe that US doctors who will not help Mexican patients are refusing to do so not because of any malpractice fears, but because they are upset they just lost the opportunity to charge someone a whole lot of money.

Snowbird... couldn't have said it better myself.

I know of two patients (links available upon request) on OH who had their bands put in by bariatric surgeons. Both had different docs and both had their bands wrapped around a wad of fat instead of their stomach. Well no wonder they couldn't get restriction! The band was next to their stomach, not around their stomach. First question everyone asks is if they had surgery in Mexico. They had it in the US.

There is NO medical malpractice rule against working on patients that have had previous medical care in Mexico. Look at all the Mexican folks that move here to the US, can they get medical care? Of course they can. Bariatric docs in the US must think we are utter idiots for believing their medical malpractice claims. Common sense goes a long way.

OP... did you know that according to the CDC the hospital infection stats are higher in the US vs. Mexico? If all the docs work out of mud huts with dirt floors, why don't they have a higher infection stat than we do in the US? Look at the posts. Very few are having problems in Mexico with infections, the infections are US surgeries. Look at the board for yourself, do the research.

I did one heck of a lot of research before going to mexico and it wasn't for price. I wanted the best surgeon for me and I got him. It was between my doc and a guy down the street from me. My doc has a better track record, a better program, better aftercare, better in patient care, better experience, and a better list of affiliations than the US guy down the street. My insurance covers banding, I could have had it done under insurance by the crappy guy, I opted to pay cash in mexico.

Many Americans are ignorant and arrogant. They have no clue what they are talking about when they refer to Mexico and surgery. The are too ignorant to do their research and they go by arrogant assumptions that the US is better at everything.

I'll take my Mexican experience ANY day over someone's outpatient surgery in the US *and* for double the price.

So, Your not a four legged carnivor.

I've been looking through your past.

You and Snowbird seem to always be Johnnie on the spot when someone tells the truth about Mexico. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, you use the same old lines over & over. Even the part about anybody who disagrees with you is an unworthy Newbie. How dare they contest you with your 5000+ postings.

Nos Vemos, mas tarde.

Damn... and I thought you were leaving.

No, I don't avoid Snowbird, I know her in real time and I like her a great deal.

Now, are you ever going to refrain from redirecting and responding to the issues presented to you?

You and Snowbird seem to always be Johnnie on the spot when someone tells the truth about Mexico. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, you use the same old lines over & over.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be because we and nearly all the patients who went to our surgeons had positive, successful experiences. If we were making them up, maybe we couldn't keep our stories straight and they would change from account to account. But as we are telling our own personal memories of what we experienced, our stories stay the same. What a surprise, indeed.

I don't think you and the truth are even remotely acquainted.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be because we and nearly all the patients who went to our surgeons had positive, successful experiences. If we were making them up, maybe we couldn't keep our stories straight and they would change from account to account. But as we are telling our own personal memories of what we experienced, our stories stay the same. What a surprise, indeed.

I don't think you and the truth are even remotely acquainted.

Snowbird... darn you! Are you following me around again?

Or am I following you around?

I get sooo confused! Just let me know whose turn it is next time to follow the other around. K? :)

:tongue:

:wink2:

:wink:

:lol:

:biggrin2:

:confused2:

:tt1:

:tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2:

Can I get in on this following around thing? :thumbup: