Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions on Vitamins?

I was taking Centrum chewables but switched to Vitamins that are specially made for people who have had lap band surgery. I found them online..... there are a few brands available but I went with Building Blocks which are on the bbvitamins.com website. They were the best for the money with the most daily units in a dosage.

Hi everyone. I use Centrum chewables, but frankly, find it difficult to get them down sometimes. As for Calcium, I used to do the Viactiv calcium chews, but my nutritionist told me that's not the right kind of Calcium. It has calcium carbonate and we apparently do better with calcium citrate. So, I switched to Citracal Creamy Bites, but am now having a hard time finding them. My new nutritionist agrees with the calcium citrate and has recommended Citracal Petites. Haven't looked for them yet cuz I'm still enjoying my wonderful bit of caramel twice a day.

You should check with your nutritionist about the type of calcium and make sure you're getting the right one.

Stephanie

this is true, also calcium carbonate can cause consitpation for those who have an issue with this. It is also a main ingredient in some antacids, so read the label

The citrate usually causes more as well. I find that Trader Joes is very affordable than most drug stores.

? dont gummies get stuck? my surgeon said for me NOT to take them

Edited by tinywishes123
forgot something

Hi everyone. I use Centrum chewables, but frankly, find it difficult to get them down sometimes. As for Calcium, I used to do the Viactiv calcium chews, but my nutritionist told me that's not the right kind of calcium. It has calcium carbonate and we apparently do better with calcium citrate. So, I switched to Citracal Creamy Bites, but am now having a hard time finding them. My new nutritionist agrees with the calcium citrate and has recommended Citracal Petites. Haven't looked for them yet cuz I'm still enjoying my wonderful bit of caramel twice a day.

You should check with your nutritionist about the type of calcium and make sure you're getting the right one.

Stephanie

I love the Vicativ "candy" calcium..........but the guy running the health food store said carbonates can cause kidney stones. Anybody else have an opinion on that?

I love the Vicativ "candy" calcium..........but the guy running the health food store said carbonates can cause kidney stones. Anybody else have an opinion on that?

I haven't seen anything about kidney stones, but I have read that calcium citrate is recommended for bandsters.

I went to my local health food store and got a bottle of liquid Multi Vitamins. I mix a capful into a nice tropical juice blend ( mango/pineapple/passion fruit, etc} and drink it down-it was actually tasty and I drank it all..it was green but that was the worst of it. It didn't have that nasty metallic taste that Centrum liquid has {probably from the iron} as it's Iron free and all natural/organic.

When in doubt go to the natural foods store-they have all sorts of better alternatives to the regular grocers.

I also saw tons of Protein mix's there that I will try one day.

:leaving:

What about GNC's Ultra Mega. It's Multivitamins & minerals in a Protein Shake. Has anyone heard of it ?

My doc recommended the Flintstones and the Centrum chewables. Both are fine and don't taste horrible. I also take the the Citrucal petites with Vitamin D. You have to take them twice a day since they are smaller, but they go through my band just fine and dissolve really fast. My Biotin capsule is pretty small, but it keeps my hair from getting thin. I also discovered that Omega-3 is GREAT for my arthritis so I can exercise successfully. (good for hair, nails and skin too!) Those suckers are HUGE. I know this sounds gross, but I drop one in my hot coffee in the morning and they pop open. I suck the oil off the top, and it's done. One yucky sip and the rest is fine. Considering the enormous difference it's made in my flexibility, range of motion and I'm virtually pain free, it's a small price to pay!

I take the All One brand of powdered Vitamins. I read that powdered were better for you because they don't need to use the preservatives or binders that chewables and liquids have. I actually take the "senior" formula because I liked the extra things it had. I can definitely tell an energy difference on the days I remember to take it. Swansons seemed to have the best online price.

Britt