Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is it so hard to find a dress?

Edited to add: I have purchased two dresses online, one from Macy's and one from JC Penney's. I feel certain that one of them will work. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Edited again (if anybody cares at this point:)): Going with the one from Macy's -- the one from JC Penney's is too clingy -- don't need to show the gut. The one I'm wearing is solid mint green shantung and tea-length, with a matching jacket. Now to find shoes!

Original Post:

I am having the hardest time finding a dress to wear to a wedding at the end of the month. I have never had a more difficult time finding a semi-formal dress before and I've been to several weddings in the past few years. I found a lovely jacket dress at Catherine's, but by the time I went to buy it, they were sold out of my size. I found another dress that I loved at OneStopPlus but it wasn't available in my size. So I ordered a different one, that I liked pretty well. Within a week I found out it was backordered.

I have been on every site I can think of and some I haven't heard of before, trying to find a dress. Apparently what I want is impossible. I would like a solid green dress -- mint green or light green but not lime. With sleeves of a decent length, not cap sleeves. At least knee length. Very simple. No sequins or flashy stuff. I'm not that picky about the style otherwise. And it needs to cost less than $100 ($125 is my absolute max) and be a 22 or 24 depending on the style. It didn't seem like it would be that difficult to find, but I am having no luck.

So nevermind if it's green, I thought (which is my favorite color, obviously!). Black is out. It's a daytime spring wedding, I am not wearing black. I'm not wearing dark colors, period. Obviously white and ivory are out. Lavender is out as the bride hates that color. Pink is out as I'm pretty sure that her bridesmaids are wearing pink. I don't care for yellow or peach. That pretty much just leaves me with blue and green.

And yet, I can't find anything that meets these requirements that doesn't have to be special ordered and take 2-4 weeks. I'm starting to get desperate. I have already been to the plus or women's sections of all of the department stores (Sears, Penney's, Nordstrom's, Macy's, Parisians/Belk's, Dillards) around me. Lane Bryant doesn't have it. Catherine's is out. So is Sydney's Closet and Igigi and every other plus sized store, online or otherwise, I can think of. :cursing:

OK, I feel better. Ranting is good for my soul.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Wow, reading your post kinda made me feel bad. I haven't really put that much thought into what I was going to wear for events. For my sister's wedding, I was a bridesmaid, so that was taken care of, but I needed something for the rehearsal. I went out with my mom, because she needed something for the rehearsal and the wedding day, and we just shopped until we found something we liked, I didn't really have any requirements. My mom had a few style/color requirements, but not so exact as yours. Same for my own rehearsal dinner, I just kind of picked something up that was cute (then my sister said YOU HAVE TO WEAR THAT, so, um, that was that).

All that said, I have had the same frustration in finding just a nice flowy summer dress. I don't need one for any particular reason which takes the urgency away, but I just can't find one I like. I started looking last summer before my summer wedding, for the honeymoon. Of course, I went to Kohl's a couple weeks ago and was pretty disappointed in the general styles there. I don't think it's their fault, there are just periods of time when I really don't like what's "in".

Try Dress Barn. Seriously. I've bought for 2 weddings and a cruise there, and at almost any time of the year they have dresses just in or on clearance. And a lot of their larger stuff (unlike Catherine's) is in really cute/young styles. Catherine's is OK if you like violet sequins. (Hmm, just checked the Dress Barn website trying to see if I could get some samples of their merchandise but they don't have their dresses up. Might be worth checking tho. They normally have lots of green).

Maybe also try Avenue online, their stores don't really the same selection IME. I don't care for most of their stuff, but I found the CUTEST tea dress there last spring.

419985713_fcbc92e4bf_m.jpg

BTW, the dress above would be perfect for a daytime spring wedding. Nothing saying you have to wear a solid color, right? I know that one doesn't have the sleeves you want, etc. but any kind of tea or garden party dress would be smashing for a daytime spring wedding.

Here's what we'll do. Go here: Avenue - Women's Plus Size Clothing Jeans Dresses Lingerie Swimwear in sizes 14-32

What about (you can zoom in and see details):

"Jenna Floral Dress w/ Shrug"

"Katherine Flutter Sleeve Dress" (white and ivory aren't "out" for weddings, they're actually quite "in" unless the bride is 80/old-fashioned) and it also comes in a berry color - looks like a muted violet - not what I personall consider lavender (which I think has more blue in it).

How about a skirt and top? And I wouldn't really worry about what color the bride likes or the color of the bridesmaid's dresses. The style that you pick will be different. And regarding the brides color choices don't let that limit you, she is not the one wearing the dress. Goodluck!

Hey Wheetsin,

I will look for a Dress Barn. I think the closest one is 15-20 miles away, but it may be worth the trip! I appreciate your help. I actually went to Avenue not long after I made this post and didn't care for anything I saw there. The dress you put up the picture of is pretty, but I don't like red on me at all and sleeveless is just not an option as my upper arms are massive. The Katherine dress there, also pretty, but as it's not available in blue or green I'm not interested. I know, I'm an incredibly picky person...that's part of my problem. Thanks! :lol:

If you are not opposed to ordering off the internet it might be worth checking out Torrid.com - Plus sizes in exciting, cutting-edge apparel and accessories for young women sizes 12-26 to see if they have anything that might work for you..I know old navy online has plus sizes but most of the dresses I have seen on there are sleeveless so those might not work..What about looking at C J Banks if there is one by you?? They might have somthing as well...Just a few suggestions

I meant to add but forgot that Torrid can be kind of hit and miss with the styles of what they have...Every once in a while they have something that is really really cute and simple and not quite so trendy

Thanks, blueangelkc80. I know what you mean about Torrid -- I have had spotty luck with them although I do love ordering online. Mostly black and/or sleeveless there, unfortunately.

I'd never heard of CJ Banks. Online they had all of one dress in my size and it was denim. Sadly, the closest store to me is 80 miles away.

What about Fashion Bug?? I just happened to think of them..Or if you find a sleeveless dress that you like what about wearing a cardigan or something similar over it to cover your arms?

Wow, you guys are scarring me. I have to get a dress for my son's wedding. I am going to wait until next month when I go to Phoenix since there are basically no stores where I live. I definitely want some sleeves on it too. My arms have that hanging skin.

Luckily, there is a dress barn in one of the malls I go to all the time when I am there. At least trying on dresses will be easier this time than it was when I had to find a dress for my daughter's wedding

4 years ago.

I would never be able to buy a dress online. I have to try everything on before I buy anything.

Don't be afraid of sleeveless dresses. It doesn't mean you have to go with bare arms. A pashmina, shawl, wrap, cropped cardigan, etc. all can work and cover up the arms.

Until I saw this thread, I had forgotten that I have a wedding to attend in June. Great, no where near goal weight, going to the wedding of my ex's brother (we were, and remain friends) and now the need to find something suitable for a shrinking body that will be comfortable for dancing and won't have assorted body parts flopping and flapping in the frenzy. Sleeveless is just not going to do, and although a pashmina/shawl would work for the service it will not do for the dance floor.

Deep cleansing breathe; going to my happy place.:redface:

Until I saw this thread, I had forgotten that I have a wedding to attend in June. Great, no where near goal weight, going to the wedding of my ex's brother (we were, and remain friends) and now the need to find something suitable for a shrinking body that will be comfortable for dancing and won't have assorted body parts flopping and flapping in the frenzy. Sleeveless is just not going to do, and although a pashmina/shawl would work for the service it will not do for the dance floor.

Deep cleansing breathe; going to my happy place.:redface:

Oh, I am sorry to have made you anxious! I'm with you on the pashmina/shawl. I'd just keep having to adjust it as it slipped down and exposed the flaps! Even a sweater won't work for the reception because I'll get hot moving around. Hopefully my jacket will be OK, it's pretty light and thin. It really got to me to have to buy a new dress when I'm only two months out -- I'll probably only wear it this one time.

But fear not, get started looking now and you will find something! I did, it just took me far longer than I thought it would. For me I think it would've been easier if the wedding had been either casual or black-tie -- it's that in-between semi-formal that really got to me, and my desire to wear a blue or green pastel. Good luck and if you want my bookmarked store websites, let me know!