Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing sizes

I haven't been banded yet, but I have come to the conclusion that my 18's have actually stretched out what should be a 20. Ive just gotten so used to wearing my clothes too tight! Over time, clothes lose A LOT of structure and I know thats part of the problem too.

I can't wait to get a surg date so I can share clothes sizes with you guys!!:biggrin2:

It is very true that clothes stretch after we wear them for a bit so my 18's were probably closer to a 20.

clothing sizes are the biggest pain in the ass. It always feels like it takes forever to changes sizes. THEN, you have the fact that clothing sizes among brands have NO standardization. THEN you have the fact that when they cut fabric, they stack it really thick, meaning that the fabric on the bottom is squished thinner than the fabric on the top, so there are differences in the sizes of things within the same batch of the same brand (though those are more subtle). I have 2 pairs a pants from the same brand, one of them is a 14 and one of them is a 16 and I feel exactly the same in both pairs. It's so irritating.

I have tops that are swimming on me, but since my rear end is GIGANTIC, I've gone down only one pant size. I was a 26 and now I'm in 24. It was nice trying on a pair of my old 24's and they fit. But, I also have a pair of 22 jeans that fit me great too.. which is odd... I think for bigger sized people, the clothing sizes will fit you for a good 25-30 pounds in between.. as you get smaller it changes.. the size is only good for 8-10 pounds difference in between sizes. Of course, this is just what it seems to me..

when it comes to weightloss it can always be tricky. When I weighed 220 and lost 20 lbs. I still fit into my size 38 pair jeans. But when I went from 200 and below every 5 lbs I lost an inch off my paints size. I'm thinking it had to do with me stretching out most of my clothes and also when you start getting bigger they make clothes that "stretch". The George Foreman collection have clothes that even though it's listed at 48 you can wear it until 50-52.

Hope that helps.

The thing that I'm having a hard time with is my shirts falling off my shoulders showing my bra straps! If I get them smaller they are very uncomfortable/tight in my arms! Damn arms! :cursing:

Here is my big fear--- I end up with these little stick legs and arms like twigs and this huge, pinto bean shaped body. AUGHHHH!

My watch and rings are practically falling off me so I guess I am getting skinny fingers and wrists. Yeah. That's why I had surgery. Skinny fingers!

You know I haven't been banded yet.. but my highest size was a 26/28 at my highest weight, but now I am in most 14/16 tops & 20 in the bottom...some 22 on the bottom... I really love the way my weight is coming off. I can only imagine with the band how lovely it will be.... ahhhhhh watch out world here i come... :lol:

I think the other big thing (no pun intended) about plus size clothing is that there is a greater variation of size... In other words, a size 8 or 10 is only slightly different in size in the 'reg' size departments, but there are huge differences in size from a 20 to a 22. MUCH more room for growth or losing, as it were.

I started out in mostly 26 and 24s and am now in an 18 jacket and 20 pants. I have always been hour-glass shaped, but now am much more pear-like. I feel like I'm losing from the hair to waist and from ankles to hips quite well, but that middle gut section is being difficult!!!!!! I'm having yard sale on April 12. I'm really having a difficult time purchasing clothing because I do not wear them for a long time. I go into a store and see all the beautiful colors and things that I would just love to wear and balk at buying anything. I've bought a few things, but just can't bring myself to purchase great quantities.

BTW, what the heck is up w/ all of these tops that look like maternity tops lately, anyway? AS IF I wanted to look bigger than I already am, let's add a tie under the boobs and a flouncy shirt!!!!!!!! GRR!

BTW, what the heck is up w/ all of these tops that look like maternity tops lately, anyway? AS IF I wanted to look bigger than I already am, let's add a tie under the boobs and a flouncy shirt!!!!!!!! GRR!

Can you say that 1 more time... OMG... i thought i was the only one that truly dislike those tops... Oh my i would never wear one of those.... they truly look like maternity tops.. and they are not cute to me...:lol::cursing::):cursing:

I hang EVERYTHING up to dry, so I'm hoping as I start to lose a little I can actually start putting things in the dryer and shrinking them a little. My husband will be so excited, I have clothes hanging everywhere on laundry day. =)

Can you say that 1 more time... OMG... i thought i was the only one that truly dislike those tops... Oh my i would never wear one of those.... they truly look like maternity tops.. and they are not cute to me...:lol::cursing::):cursing:

I don't think they are cute on anybody!! My aide at school is 5'2" and maybe weighs 100lbs dripping wet and she looks like she's about to faint when she wears this flouncy maternity looking shirt... (She's kinda chesty.) I tease her because she looks like a trashy nun (it's a black shirt and no offense to any catholics out there... I'm a good Baptist, I promise!!!)

Those tops with the bow and 'flowing from the body' - yes indeed, maternity style. A co-worker who is a mid-sized person loves them and believes they are very flattering as they 'skim away from the body'...to each her own! Me, I'm sticking with my tailored shirts and have purchased several belts...this way the tops that are slowly becoming too big (YEAH!) are less obviously big when a belt is worn. I refuse to spend a lot of money on new clothes when I've so much more weight to lose.

I am just the opposite. I started at a 26/28 and have lost 40ish pounds and have gone down to a comfy 20 and even though the scale is moving super slow, my clothes continue to get baggier and baggier. Our bodies are strange :regular_smile:

I really believe that the larger the size, the bigger the difference inbetween each next size up. My size 20 jeans (that I bought on sale at Avenue because they were $6.00 a year ago and I am just waiting to fit into) are much much smaller than my 24's. Yes, I know that thats 2 sizes up, but if you look at a pair of 6's and 10's there is no where near a difference in the gap of the waist of the pants as the plus sizes. My friends can lose 7 lbs and go to the next size down while I'd have to lose 20 lbs before going to a smaller size.