Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

I think that one reason that the election process hasn't been changed in the past 8 years is because none of us wanted to believe that something like that could happen to us in America. We all want to believe that our elections are honest and representative of what the majority of Americans believe in and want for this country.

By the same token, we all want to believe that we can trust our bankers and our brokers too. We've been terribly naive and woefully ignorant of how greed corrupts, both in politics and the financial institutions in America.

I have been amazed at how quickly Britain and some other European countries have acted to fix their financial woes. We Americans often are paralyzed and too slow to realize the truth of what's happening. And they have been dealing with terrorists up close and personal for many, many years. They have had to learn how to react quickly in crises.

I must say though, I wonder if I am the only one who was competely amazed at how quickly our government shut down the airports on 9/11. It was out of character for us as a nation. For instance, think about the firemen and others who didn't get out of the buildings before they collapsed. And think about all the people who stood outside the buildings in shock, only to be sucked into the fray.

But as usual, I digress. I believe that the primary reason that Senator Barack Obama is needed in this country is that he is extremely smart and he is quick to identify problems and go about solving them. I cannot say that of John McCain.

I like your question. Are WE ready for a black president?

Honestly, I'm just ready for a change regardless of what the color of the skin is.

I think racism exist. It exist with both blacks and whites. (and of course with any other ethnic group)

One thing that concerns me is- at work I have a really good friend who is a black male.

He and I can discuss open and honest issues with blacks and whites.

Last week we both got our feathers ruffled. (lol)

He told me that he believes that Obama will get enough black votes and will win this election. I came back and said you don't seriously think that the only people who are voting for him and will get him elected into the White House is black do you? He then said, "well I'm telling you that "we" will get him elected.

I told him he needs to go back and look at the Convention and look at all the people in the background and get back with me. :smile2:

I'm for any American who is true to this country. Period.

I think that one reason that the election process hasn't been changed in the past 8 years is because none of us wanted to believe that something like that could happen to us in America. We all want to believe that our elections are honest and representative of what the majority of Americans believe in and want for this country.

By the same token, we all want to believe that we can trust our bankers and our brokers too. We've been terribly naive and woefully ignorant of how greed corrupts, both in politics and the financial institutions in America.

I have been amazed at how quickly Britain and some other European countries have acted to fix their financial woes. We Americans often are paralyzed and too slow to realize the truth of what's happening. And they have been dealing with terrorists up close and personal for many, many years. They have had to learn how to react quickly in crises.

I must say though, I wonder if I am the only one who was competely amazed at how quickly our government shut down the airports on 9/11. It was out of character for us as a nation. For instance, think about the firemen and others who didn't get out of the buildings before they collapsed. And think about all the people who stood outside the buildings in shock, only to be sucked into the fray.

But as usual, I digress. I believe that the primary reason that Senator Barack Obama is needed in this country is that he is extremely smart and he is quick to identify problems and go about solving them. I cannot say that of John McCain.

OMG.....I quit looking in this thread because of the incoherent arguements and rabid propaganda. Nothing has changed. No facts debated, no theories being batted back and forth....just raw emotions and ambivalent statements mislabeled as facts. Sheesh. Did ACORN also register people for Lapbandtalk??

OMG.....I quit looking in this thread because of the incoherent arguements and rabid propaganda. Nothing has changed. No facts debated, no theories being batted back and forth....just raw emotions and ambivalent statements mislabeled as facts. Sheesh. Did ACORN also register people for Lapbandtalk??

i second that but plain my man look at the election... see any... oh i dont know similarities.

OK, Plain... let's talk issues.

John McCain wants to buy out all the bad morgages and give the home buyers better rates.

I own my home outright, but my 75 year old mother has a morgage. I don't even want to think of the government being her landlord. That is an insain proposition.

John McCain wants to complain that Obama doesn't have a financial plan, yet during the debate, his response to how to take care of social security was to say something like "it's simple... Ronald Reagan did it... we can do it again..." and then never said how he would do it. When asked about Medicare, he said something like "that's harder... I will get a group of the smartest people together and we will find out." That's not a plan, that is an I don't have a clue" answer.

In the meantime, his vice presidental candidate is sounding like she gets all her news from Sean Hannity.

The fact is, between the two candidates, Obama has a better plan. It is not about race, it is about ideas.

OK, Plain... let's talk issues.

John McCain wants to buy out all the bad morgages and give the home buyers better rates.

I own my home outright, but my 75 year old mother has a morgage. I don't even want to think of the government being her landlord. That is an insain proposition.

That's just ridiculous spin.....I understood it to be that the banks would still hold the mortgage, but they would reduce the principle balance to reflect the reduced value of the home.

John McCain wants to complain that Obama doesn't have a financial plan, yet during the debate, his response to how to take care of social security was to say something like "it's simple... Ronald Reagan did it... we can do it again..." and then never said how he would do it. When asked about Medicare, he said something like "that's harder... I will get a group of the smartest people together and we will find out." That's not a plan, that is an I don't have a clue" answer.

Seemed to me like he was trying to fit his answer in the allotted time given by Tom Brokaw, I think plans such as these would take more time to respond in complete detail than the broadcast has to give. Tom kept reminding them over and over about keeping their answers w/in the time.

That's just ridiculous spin.....I understood it to be that the banks would still hold the mortgage, but they would reduce the principle balance to reflect the reduced value of the home.

I don't "spin"

He said "the government will buy the bad loans." He did not say "we will tell the banks to reduce the principle..."

Seemed to me like he was trying to fit his answer in the allotted time given by Tom Brokaw, I think plans such as these would take more time to respond in complete detail than the broadcast has to give. Tom kept reminding them over and over about keeping their answers w/in the time.

So to stay within the time limit means you must give an arguement that would fail in a middle school debate class. Give me a break. It was a non-answer using time limits as an excuse.

So to stay within the time limit means you must give an arguement that would fail in a middle school debate class. Give me a break. It was a non-answer using time limits as an excuse.

So what was Obama's answer to SSA & Medicare? I cannot recall....

I am not an apologist for Obama...

I believe his answer was much more general financial... dealing with we must get our whole financial house in order. I am not going to say that he gave a great answer here

But that's why McCain's answer stood out in my mind. He made a point to say something like "My oponant did not give an answer, but I will..." and then went on not to answer. By calling Obama down for his lack of specifics and then totally throwing away the question, it seemed foolish. If he hadn't pointed out Obama's less than clear response, his might have gone unnoticed.

Like I said, I am not an Obama Apologist... just pointing out facts that I believe he (as an African American, meeting the title of this topic) is just as reasonable a candidate as McCain.

I have to know what is it that the Republican have shown us in the last 8 years makes people stand behind McCain so avidly what is going on. i mean putting republicans back in power is like asking the person that blackened your eye to hand you the ice to bring down the swelling.... WTF

You know what... yes, I know that I sound rabid and passionate. But it is not without very good reason!

If you don't understand or want to understand what happened in the past two elections, you can't understand my concern and fear about the upcoming election. I get that.

At this point, I believe that we need to stop worrying about the political rehtoric being passed back and forth and worry about exactly how we're going to be assured of having a legal, honest election.

They're telling us that if we go to our polling place and find electronic voting machines, we should demand a paper ballot. I wish it were that simple.

P.S. Watcher, neither can I understand how people can vote the same party back in that put us in such a precarious position internationally and that spent us into the ground so bad we have no idea how we're ever going to get out. The same party that insists on the "trickle down" theory of economics when we have lived it and know that it does not work!

If you all don't know, by the way, what John McCain plans for Social Security and don't understand exactly how his medical plan would work, I highly suggest you research and understand them before it's too late and you are blindsided.

there WILL be fraud, and i expect it.

back in june, my "little TX town" annexed itself into yet another "smaller TX town". DH and i had to re-register & did so at the SAME time, SAME date, SAME bat channel. guess what? mr independent was registered when we checked on line.....guess which democrat wasn't??? ME.

i showed up at my voters polling place on the LAST day to register - last monday 10.6 & asked how that could be. literally was told "there have been registering problems - due to sheer volume"....

guess they expected us dems just to roll over...

Mistakes happen. I don't believe that your misplaced voter card was fraud, but most likely a mistake. I had that same problem in Florida in 2000 (and the press said it was only African American Democrats that were turned away from the polls there).

I am a white man, registered independent, and at that time I would have voted for George W. if I wouldn't have been turned away. Sometimes mistakes happen.

And that was a paper ballot thing... hanging chads and all that rubbish.