Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erik in AZ - Newly Banded - Introduction

Hello I'm new to the forum. I received my lapband on Monday this week and am home resting for the week. I'm 42 years old and have struggled with weight for many years. I'm very excited to have finally had the surgery after waiting almost three years. I'd researched the band several years ago and also looked into gastric-bypass (no way!!!!)

I had my surgery through the TrueResults clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona. They're based out of Texas and are in three states now and do just the lap-band. Their program includes some serious preop and postop followup (for a year) along with alot of support mechanisms so I'm satisfied I'll have the help I need. The surgery was performed by Dr. Gowen Nirmul. Dr. Nirmul has done "100's" of lapbands and I felt very comfortable having him do the surgery. He went to Yale University and did his residency in advanced laproscopy at the mayo Clinic in Rochester. Like alot of doctors I've investigated he used to do the full RNY Bypass but stopped to do the band instead.

The entire pre-approval process for insurance took from August 2007 until two weeks ago. I had BCBS of AZ and originally they had a six month preop requirement list including 3x a week visits to club, weekly Dr appt to weighin, nutritionists appts and I couldn't gain more than 5 lbs from my original starting weight. In January they dropped all the prereqs then my employer suddenly dropped it as a benefit! I was devastated by my employer agreed to an exception because I had started the preop the year before (I have a great employer and a great job). With that letter I was able to get approval. Once everything was submitted it only took 10 days to get my approval from BCBS of AZ and two weeks later I was in the OR!

Monday I had my surgery and was approved for an overnight stay. I went into the OR in the early morning (was number 2 of 7 band surgeries for my surgeon that day) and went to PACU afterwards. I was put in a nice room and laid around most of the day watching TV. I had some broth and apple juice for lunch and again for dinner. I was able to finish about half of it. Around 8pm I started having some abdominal pain so they gave me some morphine. I was on IV most of the day and a second bag that evening. I didn't sleep well but rested and watched alot of TV. The next morning at 10am I was discharged and went home (yesterday).

Today I woke up and actually felt pretty well. I'm having some nausea when I take my pain medication (hydrocodone liquid) and thought I was going to vomit earlier but sat in front of a fan and stayed calm until it subsided. I think it started because I was laying down and took the meds so I'll make sure I'm up next time. I'm 48 hours post-op now so I'm having EAS Protein Shakes (3 a day) with 2 liquid diet items a day (beef broth and apple sauce).

My BMI was over 50 to start and my starting weight was 357. I used to be in shape and played hockey many years ago but an auto accident left me unable to play anymore and the weight piled on after I stopped being active. Other health issues appeared then and made it worse and before I knew it I was "fat". After years of diets and exercise and not being able to lose the weight I started investigating bypass but found it way to dangerous so I settled on the lap-band instead. I'm very happy with my choice.

It is nice to be here and I'm gaining alot of knowledge reading the other posts of recently banded members.

ErikMesa :unsure:

Mesa, Arizona

Congratulations on your surgery and thanks for sharing your story. You waited so long, it must have been frustrating. I have been trolling this site for 2 weeks now and it is really helping me answer my questions.

I am hoping to get my band by this summer. I just started the process and am hoping it happens quickly, because now that I know I am probably going to be doing this I have started eating like crazy and have even gained a few pounds. uuggghhh!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Hi Erik!

Just wanted to say hi! I was banded by Dr. Nirmul on 3/27. I got to go home the same day as surgery, which was nice, although I was rather zonked so they could have just parked me in a corner of the surgery center and I woulda not really noticed!!

Best of luck! :unsure:

Thank you for your story! I am scheduled to have the surgery with him on Monday the 14th. I am nervous a little because he the DR, I met yesterday doesnt say much. So I didnt get that feel good feeling when I left. Do you know if the center is a center of excellence? My primary care DR told me to make sure he is.

Hi ERik..

I was also banded by dr nirmul on 2-25.

Welcome to banland. I also live in Mesa, my next appt is 4-21 for my 1st fill, I saw them yesterday but I have some swelling still due to a virus that made me violently cough for a couple weeks so I just recently started food again (YUM) and we decided to not get a fill for a little while longer. I am still eating small amounts and not to hungry, so I am relieved to wait.

If you ever want to carpool, pm me, I usually go in the mornings, less traffic.

Tammy:smile2:

Hi there. I was banded the same day as you. My BMI was also over 50. Do you know which size band you got? I am feeling okay, not great. Trying to rest is hard to do with 3 small kids!

Hi everyone! I'm an Arizonian too! I was banded 01/10/2008 by Dr. Blackstone/Scottsdale Bariatric & am very pleased with my surgery, band & the staff support. Erik, I ended up doing the self pay because of BCBS AZ....I was so frustrated & didn't want to wait anymore.

Best wishes to you all recovering & those waiting. It's worth all the frustrating & hard work to have true HOPE!

Thanks for sharing.

I decided to just do a running journal like this in addition to the blog I'm putting together. Hope you don't mind me journaling my experience like this!

Last night (Wednesday) I had alot of trouble with nausea and was certain I was going to throw up. I called the clinic and spoke with someone and the doctor called in a prescription for me for an anti-nausea drug. I went to pick it up at Walgreens. The Pharmacist said "it's great stuff" as it's what they give chemo patients for nausea. I put one pill under my tounge and within ten minutes the nausea was about 90% gone (it was really bad for awhile before that). I noticed the pills they gave me cost about $10.00 apiece!!! Co-pay with insurance was only $10.00 but the Walgreens receipt says "your insurance saved you $108.00". This for 12 pills! Time to buy pharmaceutical stock I guess.

I was able to drink half a Protein shake and some Water and went to lay down. This time I didn't have nausea laying down (which was nice) and slept a bit. Like the nights before I've been up and down a bit and haven't slept through the night. I was able to lay on my right side tonight (normal) which helped. I remember after my gallbladder was removed two years ago it was a month before I could do that. I fell asleep almost immediately then which was great.

I woke up about an hour ago and can't get to sleep now (all those naps yesterday) but I'm getting tired again. I'm sipping some diet snapple tea and relaxing a bit and feel pretty good. Nausea is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale which is good and I'm breathing well. Pretty happy this morning compared to last night.

Has anyone else had issues with the nausea like that? What worked for you? I was thinking maybe it was something I ate or drank but I'm still mostly on liquids except for some apple sauce. I had some yesterday and literally 1/4 cup filled me up (amazing!!!). Even though it was sugar free I'm wondering if it was to sweet and set off the nausea.

ErikMesa :huh2:

Shannon, I know this is a longshot, but I used to be good chatfriends with a woman from Southern Cal named Shannon-so just wondering, if by chance, you were the same lady? I am Marcie. I was just banded on March 25th and everything is going well.

Hi Erik.

Congratulations on being banded. You asked if anyone else had problems with nausea as well. I had a bout with nausea about 4 days from being banded. I think I threw up four times. I had tried some no-sugar-added applesauce the night before. Not sure if that played any part. I think what happened is that I had not been drinking enough Water (which is hard because when you're nauseous, you don't want to drink anything.) What ended up helping me was to sip peppermint and chamomile teas. I alternated a cup of one, then the other. I was in touch with my surgeon and he assured me I was going to be fine and that my band was in there really well. I live in a small town and wasn't able to get the anti-nausea meds until the ordeal was over. (It was a weekend and no pharmacies are open.) Good luck with everything and drink your water, or tea.

Great introduction, I look forward to hearing your progress :thumbup:

I am just starting the process and cant wait for ins approval.

Congratulations Erik, I'm in Tucson... I was banded 2/20 and had my first fill on Monday, Good luck in your journey!

Hey Erik, I am not from Mesa but I go there all the time. My dad lives there.

Welcome to bandland. It's a great place. Make sure you stay in touch with lap band talk. We are all a great group here, and you can find out

anything you need to know, usually within minutes.

Well it's Saturday morning. I've had a bit of a physical setback this morning (just exhausted) after feeling better on Friday. I guess I forgot how anesthesia really takes it out of you. I hate sitting around.

The nausea that hit me earlier has mostly gone. I've also noticed what I think is a losening in the band restriction (swelling going down) because I'm able to drink more. My first fill appointment is 4/30 which seems like a long way off. I have a followup appointment for 4/15 though. I guess they wait a month for the first fill so you're back on regular food? Makes sense.

I'm having some concerns about not drinking enough yet I don't want to drink to much. How much does the band stop for liquid or does it really just pour right thru? I still feel "full" which is good but I noticed for example I can eat a little more apple sauce or broth then before. I'm also finishing a Protein shake in about 45 minutes whereas immediately after surgery I wasn't able to do that and would only drink half. The swelling must be going down.

My weight is down to 341 though which is good news. 11 pounds now in 2 1/2 weeks! I'm very happy with that. A typical day for me is like this for food:

2 bottles of Diet Snapple Peach Tea

2 EAS Protein shakes

1/2 Can Campbells Beef broth

4 oz Apple Sauce

Lots of Water

When I look at that it isn't much at all. I need to make sure I get in enough Protein and Vitamins so I don't starve myself. It's tough when you're never hungry to eat.

ErikMesa :tt1: