Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erik in AZ - Newly Banded - Introduction

Wow Eric, sounds like your doing really good. I can't wait to not be hungry. That's an interesting point that you made about the fills. They give you a fill at 4 weeks post-op just when you are supposed to start on solids, but then you have to go on liquids again for 2 weeks. Go figure! So I guess no solid foods for you for awhile. That's a sure way to lose weight. That's okay with me as long as I ain't hungry I'm happy!

You're right about the liquids. They go right through the band since you have no fill, into the lower part of your stomach.

You're doing great!

Hi ERIKMESA and everyone else....I'm in Mesa too! Sounds like you are doing great...I know it hasn't been a picnic but hang in there...remember your body is healing and it is OK to give in to it....

Are you walking? you never mentioned having any gas pains from surgery...good for you!

Hey the three of us should get together in Mesa when I come there in May. It's always nice to talk to someone who is banded in person.

Erik,

Thank you for sharing your story, I am so excited to be watching your loss (loss in a good way). I work for BCBS GA and I did not even know that covered the procedure until I overheard a coworker talking about just having the lap band, soooooo I am going to my seminar on April 19th I am so excited I finally feel like there is hope I have tried every thing but at 50 years old the weight just will not come off. This site is really lifting my spirits also. God Bless!!!

Sherry Jones

amsderb posted:

Are you walking? you never mentioned having any gas pains from surgery...good for you!

I'm walking a bit. I really haven't had gas pains at all (although alot of gas the first few days). The only pain I'm having is on the lower left abdominal area where I assume the port is. It'll go away as it heals.

The other symptom I have is hiccups. When I change positions (for example I'm laying down then I get up) I have 2-3 hiccups and I'm fine. It isn't really pain but it's very uncomfortable. Same if I'm sitting down then go stand up. It's bizarre really.

Athinnerdenise posted:

Hey the three of us should get together in Mesa when I come there in May. It's always nice to talk to someone who is banded in person.

Absolutely! I think it would be nice to have some friends who were banded at least we wouldn't have to worry about going out to eat all the time.

kayabitim posted:

I work for BCBS GA and I did not even know that covered the procedure

My previous employer was insured by BCBS of GA and they had an exclusion so it wasn't covered. My new employer has BCBS of AZ and they did cover it. I work in healthcare myself so I'm no fan of insurance companies and their ever-changing rules. I had someone explain it to me once that the reason so many insurers don't cover the bariatric surgery procedures is because the cost is so high and most people change jobs eventually. The old thinking that an employer needs to keep people healthy is gone because people don't work 30 years for one company anymore. Sure you might end up with heart disease or diabetes later on in life but the odds are you'll be working somewhere else and have another insurance company thus the risk to the current insurer is low. Thats why the argument "it'll cost more later if I don't have the surgery" really doesn't work with most insurance companies. They figure you won't be insured by them forever.

The other reason is as this coverage is really company contract by company contract the giant increases in healthcare costs the last several years means employers are shouldering a larger percentage of the cost of insuring employees. They're looking to cut corners and save money any way possible. Bariatric surgery is a "luxury" item in that way. I'm just very fortunate I have a great employer who was willing to basically pay for this.

ErikMesa :regular_smile:

Edited by ErikMesa

amsderb posted:

Athinnerdenise posted:

Absolutely! I think it would be nice to have some friends who were banded at least we wouldn't have to worry about going out to eat all the time.

Mesa is actually pretty big (compared to where I live, lol) My dad lives

near McKellips and Higley. Are you close to there? I have been banded

for awhile now. The band used to cause problems for me with what I could

eat etc, but now, it's almost like I don't have it. I know what I can eat and is band friendly. I can pretty much eat anything though, in small

portions. Do you live close to there at all?

Hic ups are very normal. So is a lot of burping. My daughter told me the other day I need to learn to burp quieter. It seems every time I drink

or eat, I burp a lot for a few minutes.

My dad is moving into assisted living on 72nd and Broadway, so I will be

coming to have an estate sale and get his house ready to sell. I am not

looking forward to that, so it would be nice to get together and get my mind off of it, for a little while. I have a couple other banded friends

in AZ one in Phoenix and one in Glendale, but none in Mesa!

When you get to Mesa, email or pm me, we can get together , it is nice to have people going through what your going through, highley and mckellips is about 5 minutes from here, I am near university and sossaman. Congratrs Erik on your weight loss, just remember to stay hydrated, I myself have been treated for dehydration twice already :regular_smile:

I find it diffucult to get in all my liquids and nutrition.

Hey that is so cool that you are so close. I know exactly where that is.

We will get together for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions. It was hard in the beginning but now it's pretty much like I forget I have a band.

Hi you all! I live pretty close to the 60 and Gilbert road, so no problem with me getting together...

Hey Erik...I have worked for the same company for 24 years! I know that is rare!

Have agreat week everyone!

I'm near Broadway and Power so the same area as most of you posting from Mesa! We'll have to get together sometime for Protein shakes! :thumbup:

Protein Shakes are my favorite...in fact I mix a few mean ones!

Hey by the time I get there in May, you will have moved to Soup. We can all go have soup together. Funny, Mesa is so spread out, but we are all pretty close! Yay! I love meeting with other bandsters!