Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to irritate the band site from overeating?

The reason I ask is that I have been having a burning, gnawing, irritating-type pain for the past week right where the band would be. (Left side, under ribcage) I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and while on vacation I didn't eat much at all. I ate so little and walked so much that I lost 7 lbs in about 10 days. When I came back to work, a group of us went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. At lunch, I ate some tortilla chips and salsa and then went on to eat way too much frijoles a la charra (bean soup) and for the rest of the day I felt overly full. Since then I've had pain in the band area and 2 days ago I ate a crunchy granola bar and it really started to hurt more and since then I've had the gnawing, irritating type of pain.

I should add that I'm at what I consider my "sweet spot". I'm 6 months out and at 6.8cc in a 10cc band and I have what I feel is the perfect restriction. None of that has changed. Just suddenly have the pain.

If it is indeed irritation at the band site, will going on liquids/mushies for a few days help?

I know everyone will say call or go see my doctor, but my job changed insurance a couple of months ago and the new insurance doesn't want to pay for anything band related. I still owe my doctor for the last 2 visits since this new insurance suddenly decided not to pay. :thumbup: So seeing my doctor isn't exactly an option right now.

I also have had some irrartation in the band area

By my breast bone. I went in for the scope and they said i had a mild irratation and they gave me a med to take for 3 weeks and than they put me on prilosec otc

SO far that seems to have helped I do have days that it is so bad I so not want to eat anything but yogert

You are right about everyone saying to call the doc I woudl say the same thing but I just told you what I went thru everyone is different.

(and I do not want to get yelled at again for not saying call teh doc)

I put up with the burning pain thing for like 3 months before I said I can not handle it any longer and what helped I could have went to the store and bought

But they do say that can also be a sign of slippage and/or erosion

Good luck

Could it be just heartburn???

I don't know, sometimes I get heartburn and have a couple of Tums.

I think You should contact your doctor.

Is it possible to irritate the band site from overeating?

The reason I ask is that I have been having a burning, gnawing, irritating-type pain for the past week right where the band would be. (Left side, under ribcage) I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and while on vacation I didn't eat much at all. I ate so little and walked so much that I lost 7 lbs in about 10 days. When I came back to work, a group of us went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. At lunch, I ate some tortilla chips and salsa and then went on to eat way too much frijoles a la charra (bean soup) and for the rest of the day I felt overly full. Since then I've had pain in the band area and 2 days ago I ate a crunchy granola bar and it really started to hurt more and since then I've had the gnawing, irritating type of pain.

If it is indeed irritation at the band site, will going on liquids/mushies for a few days help?

I'm having the same pain again on the left side under the rib cage. A few months ago it was bothering me and it seemed to go away. But last week I started having that uncomfortable feeling again. :thumbup: I think I ate to much of something that doesn't agree with my band.

Anyway..Several people have suggested I go on liquids for a few days or even two weeks. Tomorrow I start liquids. I need to go to the grocery store. I'll let you know how I feel in a few days. I get scared it may be slippage and errosion too. But I try not to freak out. So I'll do liquids and take it from there. Let me know how it works for you.

Sonya

Thanks for the replies guys. :confused:

oreokitty (hehe..love that name since I have a cat named Oreo :wink_smile:) and Tonks: I would love to go in and see my doctor to get it checked out but unfortunately I'm flat broke and owe them a LOT of money since my new insurance backed out on paying for the past 2 visits. But I understand everybody telling me to do it. It would be my advice to others having problems too. I'm glad to hear the Prilosec has helped you a bit oreokitty. I guess mine could possibly be heartburn related too but it only hurts in the stomach area and not up my throat or in the breastbone area and it doesn't seem to matter if I've eaten or not..the pain is still there at all times. I have considered taking something over the counter (Zantac or similar) to see if that helps though.

Allaboutmefl: I've had this pain once before too but it didn't last this long so that's what's got me so worried this time. :) I've started liquids today so I guess I'll know in a couple of days if it's helping. I hope it helps you too.

You say you had this pain before, was it right after a fill? Does food get stuck or do you pb at all?

I would guess the best guesses of why you are having this problem are:

1: your band suddenly got tighter

2: it's heartburn

3: you've irritated your esophogus.

I would try liquids for two days, if that doesn't work, I would try an OTC heartburn med for three days and if neither of those work, I would see the Dr. you might be a LITTLE too tight.

Something else I read on another board was if you have been sick and coughing a lot that your diaphragm may have been agitated but the pain will pass. I was sick two weeks ago and coughing like crazy so I think that may caused some irritation. I'm still going to do the liquids just to be safe. I hope your pain passes also. Good luck on liquids.

shortgal: The pain doesn't coincide with fills at all. My last fill was over a month ago. I don't think it's from being too tight honestly. I haven't had any problems PBing. That's actually only happened to me three times ever and hasn't happened for weeks now. When I eat, the first few bites usually do hurt quite a bit and I have to eat very slowly. There are certain foods that hurt more than others. But I'm able to eat fine and just the right amount. I really do feel like I'm at my sweet spot since my amount of food is limited and the types of food I eat are limited (no fried foods, bread, etc) but I have very little PBing or problems with being stuck. The pain is frustrating because it seems to have come out of nowhere and isn't going away. It's not the kind of pain that doubles me over or even impairs me from going through everyday functions...it's just a nagging, sort of burning, irritation.

Try the OTC prilosec, but if that doesn't help, I still think a very SMALL unfill might.

Please read the thread unfill or??? For some reason, people have gotten tighter months after their last fill. And then it seems to escalate into more trouble eating and pain.

Many people don't think they are too tight or need an unfill, but once they get one realize it was just what they needed. I know it's hard to consider an unfill, we all wait so long for good restriction, but if other things you try don't work, then consider it.

It is bad for the band (and you) for it to be too tight. So just be careful and please don't wait too long to see the Dr, if the problem does not resolve.

You might want to take a few sips of a warm liquid before the first few bites that you eat, to loosen the band up a bit.

If it is just heartburn, foods like the salsa would aggravate it. Acidy foods like tomatoes, wine, OJ and overeating in general, aggravate heartburn. I know, I had it for years.

The good news is I was able to get in to see my doctor today and he feels like the medication I've been taking has been irritating the pouch because the pills are a big(ish) and can't be cut because they're extended release. So I called my regular doctor and she's changing my medication to smaller tablets I'll take several times a day instead. Hopefully that will help and I won't be in pain any more. :thumbup:

that is great you were able to get in to teh doc I am on a med that also gives me pain and a burning feeling.

I have to put the pill in a spoonfull of yogert

That normally helps

So if the smaller ones does not help you may want to try the yogert

I have a cat named oreo he is so good to my son when I was trying to come up with a name here comes my son walking out of his room with my OLD cat oreo being so nice and lovey to him.

Good luck