Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Foolin' for Marchies of 2007

So glad it's spring! The neighbors probably thought I was crazy on Saturday, I was shoveling the snow and ice from my flower beds into the yard to melt faster! It's working.

Family took a 2 mile hike on a local trail, I challenged my DD (10 yrs) to see how far she could jog with me. I'm proud to say I kept going after she stopped.

Whitepants, Hang in there. If you are still experiencing these problems in 2-3 weeks, I would see the Dr. I myself was just accepting my reflux problems and come to find out my band was way too tight. Just don't want to see you struggle.

See ya later everyone!

HAPPY SPRING!!**

It has been far, far too long. I think I have not been here in close to a year ... well, maybe seven months.

TammyJ, JulieOh, Mrs. Husker ... all the familiar names, it is good to read your progress and I am so impressed with you all. I lost about 75 lbs total, but then totally plateaued. Months and moths ago. I am scheduled for a fill later this month, which is long overdue.

I am sad to say I have lost focus for a while. Same old, same old, but I am too busy, etc. Not a good excuse. And I have gotten way too lax about eating potato chips, etc. I am at a point I swore I would never get it.

My band is weird, most days I could eat an entire horse (if I so desired), but then every so often I cannot get down a bite of cottage cheese even.

I vow to get back on track though. I am happy with the weight I have lost so far, but I need to strive for more. It is odd, but I have been within 6 lbs of Onederland for like 5 months, but have not done anything to get there. I just sit, stagnant.

Again, it is good to read up on everyone and see you are all doing well. I have missed your support and encouragement.

Lara,

Nice to see you back here again. What's fantastic about the band is you CAN get back to it. And here you are.

If you logged what you ate while you were losing re-read those logs to help remember and to get some ideas again.

Make a plan to exercise, start with as little as you need to commit to, and get it done. Plan on increasing your exercise when you can.

We are here for all the support and encouragement, hugs and butt kickings you need.

Just let us know.

XO

Hi All, glad to see that this site is still going strong for old friends to find their way back. Welcome back.

Juli, I'm able to get back on more 'cause I caught my daughter of pulling the covers over my eyes. Since we are both working off my laptop in my room, I wasn't able to get on till her homeowork was done. Being a priority and all. Well, I talked to her teachers and asked them how long should her homework take. Well, each of her teachers said no more than 60 - 90 minutes. Well how come everytime I would wake up and see her on the computer she's still doing homework?? All 2, 3 even 4am in the morning. Then when I tell her to get off or she gets off herself she sleeps late and get to school late? Well, when I asked she would tell me she's not on im with her friends but doing homework. Well one night I woke up and she's ""still doing homework"":wink2::huh2:, her fingers on the mouse about to click to the "safe screen". Well, I told her to take her hands off the mouse and not to click anything right there and then. So, what was she doing im w/ her classmate about ""homework"":wink2::lol:. So since that night, 11pm off the computer whether homework is done or not. Then it wasn't till she clicked off that I should of read what they were talking about. My daughter is 16 yrs.

As for me, still having trouble getting some foods down. I remembered something you wrote once when it took you almost 45min to get hot Cereal down. It took me about that same amt of time. Like I have that much time for the time I decide to eat. lunch have been worse. I spend more time having PB more than 20 min, gagging and spitting, then one big upchuck. And not one bite of food in it. Go figure. Today was the first day in days that lunch went okay. So right now I'm not getting in 1200 caloies a day. Even w/ a Protein drink. Don't want an unfill for I might go back into familiar eating habits. So I'm still going to work w/ this a while longer. I know I can conquer this, it's going to take time.

Can't do pizza/bread any more, rice, some steamed veggies or Pasta depending on how cooked it is. Been eating fish since Lent. Tried a veggie pattie wrong thing. Even chewing bites you would give a child can go down rough. If I tak in too much Water when taking my pills, Oh Lord, I'm in Painsville,USA. Sometimes the hot tea or Water don't help before eating, like Mrs Husker suggested.

Well, enough for now. Hope to read good posts from everyone.

Nite to All. And stay the course.

Gwen-So far the only "problem" food I have is chicken and pork chops (except during TOM, then all bets are off). I made pork chops with rice and gravey last night and about the 3rd or 4th bite I was up and running for the bathroom. When I do pb, I noticed that all that seems to come up is the slim that went down on top of the last bite.

Lara-Welcome back. 75lbs gone!! You are doing great and will get to onederland soon. And I am right with ya on the chips. I have to make an effort not to buy them while I am at the store. I know that I don't need them, but boy do I crave their salty, crispy goodness.

Well, same stuff, different day around here. Granted, my summer fishing/outdoor programs at work are starting to pick up. With that, my relay for life team and my Women In the Outdoors, along with everything that I need to do (but seem not to) at home, I don't have much extra time. The one thing that suffers is computer time. And I really need to make sure to check in more often with everyone here. It does help to keep me on track with what I need to be doing. You women are the greatest. This would have been a lot harder without all of your support. For that I want to say a big THANK YOU.

And now I have to get back to work.

Is the cold due to: fat loss = less insulation? I hope so. I'm cold lots, and I get complaints all the time that my office is way too hot. Today a lady turned red, stripped down to her tank top and started fanning herself. I was just fine in my sweater.

My oldest is getting ready for college too. Wow - there is TONS to do! Plus I'm having a major anxiety attack about the $$$$ needed for this whole deal.

I'm really bummed out today. This 7 month plateau is really getting to me. I'm just not sure this is working....I don't know what else to do. I scheduled another fill for the 23rd, but I'm a little leary. I'm like Lara in that sometimes I can't even get 2 bites down for 3 days, then I go several days where I eat too much. Is this normal for anyone else?

How many of you have had upper GI? or flouro fills? I've heard that some Dr's do the GI at one year. Mine doesn't use flouro for fills, and doesn't do the upper GI unless there are problems. I wonder lots if my band is even working right.

I'm still glad I have it. I haven't been able to maintain this low of a weight in a long time. I see women I know who had RNY, and they look like skeletons. It's NOT healthy. I just want to loose at least 20 more. My 20 year reunion is coming up in June, and I was hoping to do that by then, but time is ticking and still no results...:redface:

Sophie,

I'd ask for a fill under flouro if you have doubts about your band working right.

It can set your mind at rest, and with all else that's going on in your life, remove what stress you can.

Good luck, let us know what you learn.

J

Sophie, From what I hear, the upper GI (different from a fill under fluoro) is recommended yearly. Especially if you are wondering how well your band is working, I'd look into getting one. I thought I had one scheduled last month, with the new doc (I moved), but it turned out they didn't schedule it, just a fill, so I have to reschedule.

I'm holding at the same weight, after last week when I gained a few pounds and then lost them again. Things are going okay...my energy is down, but so is everyone else in my anesthesia school class. I don't think it's weight loss related. Also TOM coming, so I'm hoping I feel a little more peppy in a few weeks. I do think I need another fill. My new insurance doesn't cover fills (or anything obesity related) so I'm not too crazy about going and shelling out the big bucks for a fill unless I really need it. I'll give it another week before I call, I guess.

Has anyone noticed that going from one size to the next lower one is different than at higher sizes? My jeans are getting very baggy, but I tried the next size down and they are still quite tight. I didn't ever experience this in higher sizes. I don't remember spending any time really "between" sizes when I was a size 18. And I could gain or lose 10 lbs and my clothes fit pretty much the same...now it takes a pretty small weight change to alter the size that I fit into. That much makes sense if you look at it as percentage of weight change rather than pounds of weight change...but still, this between sizes thing is puzzling. Maybe I'm just paying more attention to how clothes fit now? Weird.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Here is my issue for this week

I have been cold as hell

I 've been asked a trillions times this week "are you losing weight" ^_^

and then they say "dont lose anymore weight" :mad:then the question i hate "did you have that bypass surgery?":cursing: and then "how much did you use to weigh":eek:? I want to inform people without exposing myself.

I'am i being mean? :confused:

Man I can't stand alot of those questions I try not to get upset but what is a chick to do???

How do you guys answer these questions????

thick..... i usually don't come across this problem because a lot of people know ive had the surgery.. and i could care less who knows... there is only 2 people that i don't want to find out.. my one neighbor and my father...

but i can see your dilemma... ive wanted to flip out and my neighbor the other day but i couldn't because she would find out my secret... so i just bit my tounge and kept my mouth shut.... Not the easiest thing to do

Texas-When I get the "How much weight have you lost?" question, I answer with an equaly personal question like "Fine, hows your sex life?" I don't get how people (other than very close friends) can ask people questions about their weight.

Hi All, I only told two people on my job. One is someone who had the gastric bypass and the other is my assistant. My supervisor may know for he's seen one of my dr.'s note. I heard my supervisor say to the person who had the bypass respond to her, "you lost a who person". With that I told myself he would be one person I would not tell. Even when he asked me what type of surgery I was having, due to my medical leave. My co-work had a hard time closely being watched to see how fast she'll drop the weight. And in the beginning when it was slow coming off they kept on her as to when she'll begin to lose it.

Now three years out, no one asks her any more. She lost 125lbs - 135lbs and for all that weight, she doesn't need reconstructive surgery. She showed me her thighs and they are not even flabby. Just a little saggy. I hope I'm that lucky.

Just last week, I'd been asked if "I had the surgery" I answered no, for two people on my job had the bypass. So, therefore the surgery she was referring to was the bypass. Since she didn't specify which surgery, I was referring to the bypass. So, without exposing yourself, I would say, "No, I didn't have the bypass." Let them take it from there. That should keep them at bay.

And since I'm losing the weight slowly, as far as they know, I'm on a diet. And get plenty compliants of my weight lose and how good I'm doing sticking to it.

So, don't let them get you down and continue on your new lifetyle. Hold your head up proud and say "I'm doing well on my new lifestyle way of eating"... Then ask them, "How you're doing?" Again, that'll hold them at bay.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone.

I don't mind telling people I've had surgery if they ask. I always clarify that it was NOT bypass (of course!)

But I would draw the line at people asking what I weigh. When friends ask how much I've lost, I tell them. No strangers or mere acquaintences have gotten that personal, but if they did ask how much I weighed before, I'd probably say, "More!" I don't mind revealing how much I have lost, but no one needs to know what I weigh now or what I weighed then.

As a nurse I'm used to educating people about health stuff, so I guess telling people about the band seems natural to me. I like letting people know that there is a safer way, but also that it's not a magic bullet for weight loss. I would feel uncomfortable doing the dance of telling people I did it with "diet and exercise", but that's just me. Of course it's true, but I mention the band because it helps people at least understand that WLS isn't all gastric bypass. But there's nothing wrong with telling people whatever you want--why do folks think it's okay to be so nosy about how we lose weight or what our medical history is? I've never understood that.

I'm funny about how I approach the whole how much have you lost, etc questions.

If you're my pal and you relate to me on more than just my body size, I'll be way more forthcoming. I'll tell you what I've lost. But if all you do is talk to me about my weight loss and had no time for me before, you get the "lots" answer. I just don't feel like giving that to someone who apparently only sees weight and numbers. I don't know.

I like the idea asking a personal question in back at them, but I'm inclined to ask "How much money do you make?" more than about sex, well, because income is a number. Some people are proud some feel under valued, but really my relationship with has nothing to do with thier income, nor should the number on my scale.

Rambling....

Hope all are well. XO

Luckily most people in my office don't ask about the weight loss too much - I think because I'm losing slowly, eating well, and going to the gym at lunch they think it's a "regular" diet. Someone did ask me point blank how much I've lost and I said 40 lbs. :biggrin: I have not told anyone I've had surgery at work.

My band is being weird. I had an unfill about 6 weeks ago, but ever since it's gotten progressively tighter. It's now difficult for me to eat solids again. Don't even get my morning coffee down most days. Sigh. Time to get back into the Dr's office and have them do the flouro deal. Want to make sure this band is sitting correctly. Seems strange I should have a generous unfill, feel fine, but 6 weeks later am back in the same boat of way too tight.

Still love my band tho. I feel so much better and more confident these 12+ months later. For example, I don't feel as self-conscious about how I look when we meet up with husband's coworkers, etc. Yay! :tongue: