Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band not working at night...?

I am not sure what the deal is, but my band feels like it doesn't work after 5pm.

I have restriction during the day which keeps me from over eating, but by dinner time I can eat way way more than I would like to. This is the time that I am the most hungry and it seems like my band is almost non existent. What is the deal?

I have had one fill so far and that was about 3 wks ago.

Hi Sensy,

You are not the first one to report that phenomenon. I don't know the answer, but one theory is that as the day goes on gravity works on our internal organs and Fluid leaves the area, making the stoma a bit larger. I don't know.

Another theory holds that it's a vicious cycle, too, since as you eat in the evening you are actually creating more tightness the next morning. (The theory is that if there's any food in the pouch when you go to bed, it creates irritation which can create swelling, etc.) Which means you can't eat in the morning of the next day, which means that by nighttime you're even hungrier than you would have been. Someone suggested really trying to alter that dynamic and I found that it really did help.

Try to not eat for a couple of hours before bed. Then do what you can to eat Breakfast and lunch. Have Snacks during the day and really try to spread your calories out evenly--not making dinner your biggest meal of the day. After a couple of days you may break the cycle and find that you don't get that wide-open feeling in the evening.

Good luck!!

I have discovered if I eat after 8:00, I don't sleep well. I fall asleep early, but about 1:00 I'll wake up and toss and turn, especially if I have anything remotely sweet. If I have anything with salt, then the RLS kicks in and that's even more miserable, (Restless Leg Syndrom).

My band is so weird right now, the last week I've been more open in the AM, and I keep telling myself this is messed up. Now that I think about it I think it's open all the time...I need restriction.

This morning is the 2nd time in 11 days that I have been able to eat something in the am. oatmeal. I have been so tight that I almost got an unfil yesterday but had to cancel because of personal issues.

I am much looser at night. I eat around 8pm because I can get food in than.

Last night I was able to eat about 2-3 oz talapia and a couple of bites of broccoli. I am jazzed!

I keep hearing if you do the protien first and then the vegies it will fill you up.

In the Am all I can tolerate is about 4 ounces of juice and 4 pea sized pills.

I call it breakfast..

lol

I wish I was that restricted all day!

I had easter dinner, I was able to eat all this:

1/2 deviled egg

About 10 Egg noodles with parmesean sauce

3 meduim plain shrimp

5 bites of dark meat chicken

A cup of ceasar salad

A peice of garlic bread about 2 inches by 2 inches

and 16 ounces of chocolate milk

I CANT WAIt FOR A FILL!!

Since I went in for this last fill, I am resticted all day, I used to be like you nykee.

Nykee, will you look at that list of what you ate for Easter dinner? What on earth do you want a fill for??? That's a small meal by normal standards, and downright skimpy if all you had for Breakfast was vitamins!!

Yeah Alex, I thought she was bragging about the small amount she ate, you're doing great girl, keep it up. Believe me, being overfilled is worse than no restriction.

Nykee, I would say that's about average of what we should be eating. Compare that to what you would have eaten without the band!! You did very well.

Actually, I've now seen in another thread that this was only a part of what she ate all day. But as one meal it's not at all overmuch!

True..

After I posted my easter dinner, i decided to remember and post everything I ate that day and then I went and ate more food as I was posting!

I listed it all in another thread.

LOL

Today i ate alot less.. I went crazy on easter.. MAYBE because I felt cheated on my easter dinner..LOL

I dunno.. all I know is I cant wait for my fill!

I made an appointment just today! April 20th! I cant wait!

My doc told me that 4-6 lbs avg a month is good for me . I had lost 3.5 in 2 weeks. I too ate like a pig (by banding standards) on Easter. I was banded on 2/9 and have not been filled at all yet.