Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One day out and going strong!

Well, I got it done. 3/29/08 with Dr, Kuri and the experience has been wonderful. I am leaving to fly home tomorrow and am ready. Just had my first meal of broth and Jello bites and half way through I was full...who would have known! The surgery went really well and was easy with the staff that was phenomenal. I was really out of it for about 14 hours, but got up to walk and within a couple of hours felt much better. There was no nasuea or PBing. I did not have but a little shoulder pain that was taken care of by gasX strips. It truly feels like I have done at least 50000 crunches, that is the worst of the pain. The incisions look great and are very little. I am so glad that I have taked this step to get my life back. Here is to the rest of my life!!!!

Congratulations!! It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start. My surgery date is 4/1 and I am anxious. I hear so much about the gas pains that it scares me but it sounds like yours have not been that bad. As far as 1000 sit-ups or crunches.....hmmmm.....I have never done that many at one time so I will take your word for it. LOL :cursing:

Okay maybe a little fib, I am not sure i have ever done more than 100 but I think that this is what it would feel like!!! My gas pain has been very minimal, only used two strips to date. I am at the airport and I must make the reccomendation that you bring some Jello or something like that because I was not able to find anything that would work and I ended up at the airport for four hours.... I did end up drinking some V8 juice to help with the hunger, but would suggest you take something with you in the case you are flying. Best of luck tomorrow!

It sounds like you are off to a great start. I have been banded for 10 days now and my suggestion is to walk as much as possible. I walked the day of surgery around my house, yard, etc. It helps SOO much with the gas pains and to be honest, I think that is why I did not experience the pain that some of my friends did. They lay in bed for 2-3 days, but I was walking as soon as possible and as much as my body would let me..(after all, we did just have surgery, so I was not able to get in miles...:)...Good luck and keep up with the positive thinking...

My surgery was at 7:30 this morning. I was released to go home at around noon. Woo Hoo...day one of my recovery and it's not as bad as I was expecting. I'm glad I had this board to prepare me. I have been up and walking when I can. I am really enjoying my recliner and think I will sleep in it a couple of nights. It has heat and massage and I strongly recommend both for the gas pains. Gas pains have been off and on but not realy too bad. It just feels like bloating and a little pressure. Seriously ladies, I think my biggest obstacle is my little one year old Chiweenie. (cross betweet a Chihuahua & Daschund) In her mind I am her human and she is taking care of me. She won't leave my side. A few times she wants to crawl up on my stomach to get to my face and give me kisses. LOL Luckily she only weights about 3 pounds.

One thing I was not really prepared for was the dry mouth and sore throat. As far as pain in my abdomen, yeah...it feels like somebody punched me really hard. LOL It's not a constant pain by any means, just a little sore when moving around and getting in and out of bed/chair.

I am trying my best to get down the 48 oz of Water between feedings. So far I have 24 oz more to go. I am not hungry in the least little bit. I am taking 2 oz of fluids every hour and alternating chicken broth and juice. Let me tell you, the warm chicken broth felt good going down.

As far as pain meds, I have only taken one dose of Darvocet which has to be crushed and taken with juice. Uggh!! Not very tasty. They prescribed a liquid Vicotin but I don't do well with Vicotin. It makes me hyper and itchy.

Well, I am off to take another quick walk arond the house and get my 7pm juice. I'm excited about taking this new journey towards good health and eating habits. :blush:

Well done and thanks for posting this. It's especially helpful to me as I plan to take the plunge tomorrow and book my surgery, etc. I expect to have it the second week in May.

I too am excited about changing my life . . . my son made the comment that one day in the next few months I can put my clothes in a big pile and burn them!

Take care of yourself, it sounds as if you're doing great and just listening to you gives me confidence. I hope I can keep in touch over the next few weeks . it sounds as if you're off to a great start!

Maggielexi

Wow, I am so impressed. Way to go girl. I'm having my surgery on April 11th. I hope I can post the day of surgery! Where did you get the anti gas strips? You take care and be sure to rest.

Susan

Hi ladies. Susan, I got the Gas X strips at Walmart prior to the surgery. I am wishing you the best on your surgery as well.

I think I may have overdone it a little today. I may have been feelling good because of the pain meds they put in my iv. I have not been able to get any sleep and I am runing a low grade fever with a massive headache. I put in a call to my doctor and hope to hear from him in the morning. My surgeon is Dr. John J. Gonzalez out of Weight Wise, San Antonio.

I have never really done well with pain meds. I think I need something that will really knock me on my buttocks.........(pun intended) and help me sleep. No more getting up and walking for me right now unless it's to the restroom. I will keep you gals posted.

Congrats on setting your surgery date MaggieLexi. I love your son's idea about burning the old clothes. Cute!!

Allie

I was banded on 3/31. I am very tired and sore and gassy, now that I am home. I felt great in the hospital, but Im sure that was from the meds they had me hooked up to. Take it easy, and remember to rest!

Allie:

I hope your own doctor can get you something for the fever and pain -- sorry that you're going through this but you have the right attitude so you will overcome this. All the best to you . . .thanks for letting us know where to buy the gas-x-strips. I'll get some and a heating pad in preparation for my banding. Hope your day goes a little better for you today.

I guess you're thinking about all the other issues and you have no time to feel hungry!:thumbup:

Maggielexi

i got banded on 3/31 and i am feeling really good today. i've been up and walking around every day, even the day of my surgery. i do have to admit that yesterday (1 day post op) i did over do it a bit. I was feeling hungry, but I didn't get around to having anything more than the Protein Water I was sipping on. Then we went to target to pick up some bandages and things, and none of their electric carts were juiced up, so I just decided to walk around the store. I would have been ok if we hadn't walked so much, or if I had had a little bit of a Protein Shake or something before going. By the time we got to the check-out, I was feeling really weak and needed to sit down. A line opened up and the lady waved at us to come over, but this other lady beat me to it, and I almost started to cry.:thumbup: When I got home, I took some pain meds, drank some onion Soup, and laid down. I felt much better after napping for a little while. Today, I feel good enough that I'm going to go to class. I'm going to be careful about overdoing it though, and I'm drinking a protein shake for Breakfast. Well, about a 1/2 cup of shake. I think the key is just to make sure you listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. but on the other hand, nobody is here to help me out, so I have no choice but to be up and doing for myself. I'm really glad that I'm not in pain, or else not having help would really suck.

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery on 3/31 by Dr. Carlos Barba all went well yahoo!!!! Stayed in the hospital overnight the anethesia had me out of it for a while I was very tired and sleepy. The next day I felt like crap, I was very sore and the hospital bed was very uncomfortable to be getting in and out of because they wanted you to get some walking in wether it's going to the bathroom or walking around the floor. I wasn't discharged until the evening, I had to wait on the upper gi x-ray to make sure there were no leaks in the incisions and that everything was going down smoothly. I am at home and I'm taking it very slow. I have quite a bit of rumbling going on in my stomach and now my gas is starting to release itself, no unusual gas pains though, yippie. I forgot to get my Protein powder from the doctors office but I had some Optifast shakes left so the nutritionalist said that would be okay until I can get to the office to get my powder. I haven't really been hungry. I've been forcing myself to get in my fluids and occasionally about an ounce or two of sugar free Jello. I'm looking forward to the day that I can taste some real food oh yeah I had to do a two week pre-op as well. My doctor let me replace to shakes with some chicken noodle Soup and a couple of oyster crakers thank God for that. I did cheat a couple of times with about five potato chips each time I don't know but for somereason I was craving chips. Didn't affect my surgery (thank God) however, I wish I hadn't strayed at all just so that I can say I did all liquids ooh well. Good luck to all and I wish you all the best of luck on your journey.

Banded 3/31/08

Starting Weight 239

Surgery Date 219

Goal 155

weight.png

Edited by talkinjack
add ticker

I am now five days out from surgery. I feel great. I went back to work after a day from...well you know. I spent 14 hours in the airport with delayed flights and when I finally got back to the home airport at midnight, the roads were bad so I had to drive 2 hours home instead of one...but the only moral to that story is if you have to travel pack your food, in the liquid stage at least. Got up bright and early yesterday and worked a nine hour day where I am up and down and packaging items (did not lift over 10 pounds :tt2:. I was a little tired but am sure that the walking around and not staying idol helped a lot. I only took two tylenol and had a fine day with the eating. Jello, broth, protien Water, milked down pudding and liquid cream of wheat. Had really soupy mashed taters and they went down well. The hunger seems to be worse if I do not eat something small every two to three hours. Still no gas pain and the 1000 crunches now feels like hmmmm maybe 50? I am down seven pounds in five days. Looking forward to new each day and know this was the right decision with the best doctor (of course just my opinion) out there. To all of you who are posting, best of luck, good job, and face it with a smile!:thumbup:

Edited by aladdinwy3