Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even though I've read that it's not supposed to happen to lap band people, I think I had a serious case of dumping today.

I went to kmart today and ended up buying some lemsip sachets. I've had a sore throat since the op on Tues and thought this might help - never had them before. The box doesn't tell you much, just that it contains paracetamol and some sucrose, glucose and saccharin with lemon flavour.

Anywho, got home and had one sachet. Within 2 minutes, I had massive stomach cramps, nausea, sweating and had to get to the toilet ASAP. I felt ill for about 3 hours afterwards with multiple toilet trips.

Not a pleasant experience and wouldn't like to have it happen again.

Probably isn't dumping. We don't have the anatomical changes necessary to cause dumping. And I'm guessing this isn't the first time post-op you've had sugar. Dumping happens, period. Not just sometimes. However, there are a few other things.

Many people have issues with artifial sweetners, so if there were any in there you don't normally get, that could very well cause your symptoms (especially maltitol and sorbitol).

Have you ever had issues with your gallbladder? What you had doesn't sound like it would be a catalyst, but often GB issues are more closely tied to a time of day more so than whatever you just ate (although it can work both ways, and attacks CAN be triggered by things other than the typical fatty foods (happened to me -- that's part of why it took so long to diagnose).

Just a few thoughts...

What is dumping???? I thought I had heard it all about the band but this is a new one. Not that it concerns me yet Im not dumping anything LOL:blush::puke:

Dumping in a RNY patient (from my understanding) is when sugars enter the blood stream too quickly, causing nausea, vomiting sweating and diarrhea.

Because a banded person's anatomy is intact, specifically the intestinal tract, we don't experience dumping.

What you went through was likely caused by the LemSip, but I highly doubt it was dumping.

Even though I've read that it's not supposed to happen to lap band people, I think I had a serious case of dumping today.

I went to kmart today and ended up buying some lemsip sachets. I've had a sore throat since the op on Tues and thought this might help - never had them before. The box doesn't tell you much, just that it contains paracetamol and some sucrose, glucose and saccharin with lemon flavour.

Anywho, got home and had one sachet. Within 2 minutes, I had massive stomach cramps, nausea, sweating and had to get to the toilet ASAP. I felt ill for about 3 hours afterwards with multiple toilet trips.

Not a pleasant experience and wouldn't like to have it happen again.

like many others I'm still not 100% clear on what dumping is, also what does RNY mean?

but what I can say is that over the past two days ANYTHING that hits my stomach within mins turns to an excrutiaiting abdominal pain, closely followed by a vistit to the loo. This can be triggered by anything from broth, Tomato Soup (homemade), even my soluable meds have this effect.

I'm heading off to the surgeon in the morning for something else, so I'm going to ask him what his thoughts are (from my perspective)

RNY = Roux en Y, another type of weightloss surgery. (Google can shed more info, I'm too lazy to type it out here)

Dumping syndrome is a group of signs and symptoms that develops most often in people who have had surgery to remove all or part of their stomach, or in whom much of their stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps and nausea.

Most people with dumping syndrome experience signs and symptoms soon after eating. In other people, they may occur later — one to three hours after eating — and they can range from mild or moderate to severe and debilitating.

Most of the time, dumping syndrome improves on its own without medical treatment, or by adjusting your diet. In more serious cases of dumping syndrome, you may need medications or surgery.

Signs and symptoms

When signs and symptoms occur during a meal or within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal, they may include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain, cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Bloating, belching
  • Fatigue
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

When signs and symptoms develop later, they may include:

• Sweating
  • Weakness, fatigue
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Shakiness
  • Feelings of anxiety, nervousness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Fainting
  • Mental confusion

Some people experience both early and late signs and symptoms. Conditions such as dizziness and heart palpitations can occur either early or late — or both. No matter when problems develop, however, they may be worse in the aftermath of a high-carbohydrate meal, especially one that's rich in sugars such as sucrose (table sugar) or fructose (fruit sugar).

Some people also experience low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), related to excessive levels of insulin delivered to the bloodstream as part of the syndrome. Insulin influences your tissues to take up the sugar present in your bloodstream.

I did have episodes of diarrhea post op, which I attributed to the liquid diet. Dumping, from what I have heard, You more medical types can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is an immediate evacuation of the bowels after eating. I think we bandsters can have diarrhea, but it isn't actually dumping.

RNY is an abbreviation for a particular type of gastric bypass surgery called Roux-en-Y.

Edit: Whoops, Wheetsin beat me to it.