Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the boards everyone says liquids only for first 2 Weeks but the doctor I'm going to use says liquids for first 2 DAYS and mushies the first month! Anyone else do this?:thumbup:

Edited by 2befree

My girlfriend went to WEndys and got a chili, blended it up and said it was really good...she added a little Water, but used it during the liquid (not clear stage). Does that make sense?

mail mom-----I'm with you-----I got banded 3/19/08 and I'm sick of popsicles, broth and skim milk. Since I don't like milk --- I only choke down about a cup of that a day. The only good thing I can think about this method is that my MD claims that this will be produce a faster weight loss. I guess we have that to hope for. Even in my next stage (to begin next Thursday) I can only add cream Soups, and 2 tablespoons of eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, soft Beans 3 times a day. It will take a month before I will be able to move to 8 tablespoons! I SURE DO hope this gives me a great weight loss!!!

i bought a whole bunch of different Soups so i wouldn't get bored - cream of asparagus, roasted red pepper and Tomato, cream of mushroom, canadian pea, cashew carrot, pureed hearty vegetable, .... there are lots of kinds of soups.... I've also been sneaking in a teaspoon of low-fat cream cheese - no chewing required, so i figured if there's no lumps, then I can get away with it. Plus i've been melting a bit of cheddar or parmesan on some of my soups.... Also nursing a skim-milk latte throughout the day helps. I tried the bariatric Protein Powder in a fruit smoothie and just about barfed - have never been a fan of Protein powder and never will be. I mashed a 1/2 boiled egg into mush and had that yesterday to add a little more protein.

On the boards everyone says liquids only for first 2 Weeks but the doctor I'm going to use says liquids for first 2 DAYS and mushies the first month! Anyone else do this?:thumbup:

I had my surgery on a Friday, was Clear Liquids thru Sunday and could go full liquids Monday. After one week I was allowed to eat mushies and added more solid foods depending on how I felt.

Denise

It's very important to follow your doctor's orders and stay on the full liquids until he/she says otherwise. If you had the eggs, beef, etc. too early you could displace your band. The band is only stitched with four of five stitches. The point of this time frame is to heal. If you eat the wrong foods you chance ruining everything you've done up to this point.

Believe me, I know what you are going through. Those first three weeks were hell. I felt hungry most of the time and if I had one more yogurt I thought I would scream. The minute my doctor told me I could move to mushies last Friday, I went to the store and bought eggs, cottage cheese, thicker Soups, white fish, etc. I can't believe I was actually looking forward to eating cottage cheese! LOL!

Hang in there. Soon enough you'll move on to other foods and it will all be worth it.

I don't want to appear stupid but I am curious, if you eat a piece of meat (very tender) and you chew it alot and don't throw up how is that going to have any effect on the band. I know throwing up will move it but just uneventful eating is beyond me how that will adjust it???:thumbup:

I was banded on Friday 3/28. Before I left the hospital, I had to do a liquid food tray and keep it down. Then I had to do a pureed tray (pureed chicken with gravy and pureed peaches) and keep it down. My doctor requires pureed to the consistancy of apple sauce for the first 4 weeks post op. I believe that I must avoid chunks of food because, even if it stays down, the stomach has to do a lot of work (including squeezing) to break down the pieces and this can disrupt the stitches.

Simplified: Anytime we put something (water to steak) in the stomach it feels like it MUST knead and churn these... it doesn't know the difference from one item to the other. The more solid the food the more it will work at it. The kneading and turning is what can cause problems, undoing or loosening the stitches that tack the band in place.

I was banded on Friday 3/28. Before I left the hospital, I had to do a liquid food tray and keep it down. Then I had to do a pureed tray (pureed chicken with gravy and pureed peaches) and keep it down. My doctor requires pureed to the consistancy of apple sauce for the first 4 weeks post op. I believe that I must avoid chunks of food because, even if it stays down, the stomach has to do a lot of work (including squeezing) to break down the pieces and this can disrupt the stitches.

Well put, sorry to have duplicated seems we were posting at the same time!