Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op, hungry and not losing

Hi,

I am 4 weeks post op and per the doctor's diet, I have been on "regular" foor for a week now. I feel very little restriction and I can eat almost the amount I ate before (not quite). Also, I can basically eat everything, even the foods that are supposed to be problematic like bread. Further, although I try listening to my body in terms of evaluating hunger, it has been difficult because it seems to take a lot of food to stop the hunger. I have never thrown up or gotten food stuck. I have lost 15 pounds but it was all in the first 2 weeks. Now I'm just struggling to maintain it. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks.

Is this normal?

Is this simply because I haven't gotten a fill? (I am due 4/7)

Will I feel more restricted and not be able to eat as much after the fill? I liked the feeling after surgery where I felt like I couldn't eat anything. I have since heard that is from swelling. I would like to get somewhere close to that point again. I hate feeling hungry. It's the worst feeling ever.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated !!!

Welcome to bandster hell . . . and this is absolutely the "norm". At this point . . . before restrictions. . . you are basically losing weight by will power and determination . . . and it takes awhile for the restriction to be helpful. Just follow the band rules, exercise if you can - and keep moving and drinking that Water and eating the Protein. Best of luck!

Sure you are doing fine!

You are supposed to be hungry.

You are supposed to be eating a ton.

All you had was the lapband implanted...it's not operational, yet.

Just wait till you get restriction and then you will be in a different world. And remember, that may not come after the first fill so if you can still eat like a horse after your first fill.....don't worry about it!

As the others said, what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Right now is your time for healing, not dieting and losing weight. Many people even gain weight before they reach proper restriction. With no fill it is basically like you were before you were banded.

Another important thing to remember is that you might not necessarily get the restriction you are looking for with your first fill either. For many people, it takes several fills to reach their "sweet spot". You have to be patient with the process.

I Hear Yeah I Have The Same Problem I Was Banded On 3/05/08 And Lost Only 1 Pound In For Weeks And I'm Struggling With The Fact That I Knw For The Greater Good But I Dont Have Restriction Yet So It;s Like More Tempting But I;m Sticking To My Guns And Do The Best I Can To Eat Around 1000 Cals Daily So Far Pretty Good But No Weight Loss

I was banded on the 19th and had to leave town three days later for my moms memorial service. I did pretty well I think. I followed my doctors orders for the first four days or so then sort of slid in a few mushy foods. I wasn't due to eat full liquids for a few more days. However, I did fine with it and have had no pain. I was only able to eat a couple of bites and they went down just fine. I had mashed potatoes a few times and even some scrambled eggs. Both are on my Dr's list of acceptable after the second week. How will I know if I did damage by eating those things a little early?

I was banded on the 19th and had to leave town three days later for my moms memorial service. I did pretty well I think. I followed my doctors orders for the first four days or so then sort of slid in a few mushy foods. I wasn't due to eat full liquids for a few more days. However, I did fine with it and have had no pain. I was only able to eat a couple of bites and they went down just fine. I had mashed potatoes a few times and even some scrambled eggs. Both are on my Dr's list of acceptable after the second week. How will I know if I did damage by eating those things a little early?

My doc allowed me to go full liquid 3 days after surgery. I see this is not what your doctor ordered, but I did fine with mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs during that time--I even added some peas and steamed spinach which went down fine. I think if you are not hurting, you are OK, if things don't feel right, by all means, call your doc. Or if you'll feel better, call your doc and talk with his/her nurse about it.

Denise

Hi,

I am 4 weeks post op and per the doctor's diet, I have been on "regular" foor for a week now. I feel very little restriction and I can eat almost the amount I ate before (not quite). Also, I can basically eat everything, even the foods that are supposed to be problematic like bread. Further, although I try listening to my body in terms of evaluating hunger, it has been difficult because it seems to take a lot of food to stop the hunger. I have never thrown up or gotten food stuck. I have lost 15 pounds but it was all in the first 2 weeks. Now I'm just struggling to maintain it. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks.

Is this normal?

Is this simply because I haven't gotten a fill? (I am due 4/7)

Will I feel more restricted and not be able to eat as much after the fill? I liked the feeling after surgery where I felt like I couldn't eat anything. I have since heard that is from swelling. I would like to get somewhere close to that point again. I hate feeling hungry. It's the worst feeling ever.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated !!!

Hi Linda,

I am experiencing the same thing. I got banded Feb. 15 so am almost 6 weeks post-op. I should have had my first fill today but am going on a 2-week trip out of the country in two weeks, so I decided to postpone my fill until after I return, and add insult to injury, it is a cruise! :tongue_smilie: My hubby wanted me to postpone for fear that something would happen and I'd have to be flown home from Central America. And knowing my hubby, even if I broke my leg through no fault of my own, it would be my fault because I got the fill! So, to keep the peace, I decided to wait an additional 4 weeks is this horrible banded place.

I can eat all types of foods, but some "feel" better than others. I can eat quite a bit, but not as much as before banding. I am losing, but very slowly. Not nearly as quick as I'd like, but then again, 50 lbs a week would be too slow! On my home scale, I am down 2 lbs since about 1 week after surgery. I did not feel up to getting on the scale right away, so unfortunately I am not sure what I weighed right around my surgery date on my home scale. But, my clothes are fitting looser and my measurements are showing steady loss. These are other ways to measure losses.

Kat who posts here once compared an unfilled band to a new car that has no gas...it is great to have, but doesn't do anything for you--I love that comparison. I keep telling myself that I need my gas, I need my gas! That helps me to keep it in perspective.

I see alot of people here posting that they have lost boodles of weight shortly after surgery. Try not to compare yourself to them, it only adds to the frustration.

I am looking forward to starting on fills--mine is now scheduled for May 1.

Know that you are not alone in what you are going through. Your fill is coming, but from what I understand it often takes more than one fill to reach the "sweet spot."

Don't beat yourself up because you are not losing much now. It is willpower taking you along at this point, and if "willpower"--whatever that is--worked, we would not have needed the band in the first place.

Thanks for posting, it is nice to know I am not alone in this pergatory!

Denise

Linda, I too, am 4 weeks out. I saw my doc yesterday and got my 1st fill. I only lost 5 pounds since my surgery, 25 pounds preop. I was real upset at the 5 pounds but the doc was very pleased. She said that I had will power. I know it is hard when you are dropping slowly and other, on this site, have lost so much more in the first few weeks. Remember to check for non scale victories. My doc told me this. My cloths are much looser now and I walked 11 miles last week. This is my non scale victory. Good Luck to you!

OMG, after reading your post, I felt a sense of renewal. I haven't attended any support groups, so the internet is my source of support. I Have been very hungry eating every 1-3 hours and i was wondering how could i possibly loose weight eating like this. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post-op but I've been eating oatmeal, grits, salads with only lettuce & dressing, sampled a little chicken here and there, and ate a half slice of cake. My will power is terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm sticking more to the diet than not, but it is horribly tough.

Thank you so much for helping me to understand that what i'm going through is perfectly normal, as I'm scared to admit to my doc the truth about what i've been eating.

Good to know that everyone here are not "Goody Too Shoes" with the perfect story.

Trina, based on what my doctor lists for post op I would be concerned that you could be causing damage. At 2 1/2 weeks he said to be on Soup and scrambled eggs. chicken and cake would be a problem. I don't want to seem mean spirited but you could be causing yourself problems. Since I have sweat cravings I understand that issue. Could you try fat/sugar free pudding as a substitute?

Linda-

How frustrating! I'll get my first fill the day after you do (4/8).

I have a couple of recommendations that *might* help:

- try to stick to foods that give you more volume for the calories- which will fill you up more.

- don't leave fat out altogether-- if you are avoiding fat completely, you won't feel satiated. Fat slows emptying from the stomach and may help you feel full longer.

- ditto for Fiber. Make sure you're getting Fiber in each meal (this just means choosing whole grain bread over white- that kind of thing.)

-maybe try a big glass of Water about 15 minutes before a meal

In the meantime while you are waiting to get restriction, focus on other related goals... get a pedometer and see how many steps you are taking per day. Then see if you can add to it each day or each week. Getting that exercising habit under your belt while you are waiting for restriction will help to kick the weightloss into gear when you do get that restriction.

Good luck!

You don't have any restriction from your band yet. You will notice a difference after you start getting Fluid in your band. The 1st 4 weeks are about healing and starting your journey. Don't worry you are normal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I was banded on 1/21. Initially, I lost only 2 pounds post-op and have gained at least a half pound back. I was too embarrassed to post and thought people might be judgmental and repeat all the stuff about the band not being magical...duh! I am struggling because I feel only minimal restriction but it is becoming clear that even with restriction, I am going to have to make some changes. Oh, sweet cookie dough...please lose my number!