Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Regret Getting Banded ??? VOTE !

Do you regret your decision to get Lap Band Surgery ? Please Why or Why Not:  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regret your decision to get Lap Band Surgery ? Please Why or Why Not:

• Yes, I Regret getting Lap Band Surgery (please explain why)
    • No i don't regret it. It was one of the best decisions in my life.
    • I don't know yet how I feel about it.....

I am sure that it has been said before, but the only regret that I have is that I did not get banded sooner.

I would have voted "HELL NO" if it was an option! I feel SO incredible, and I'm not even close to goal!

I'm with you! When I first responded to the poll I had only been banded a few weeks, so I honestly responded "I don't know'. But now almost 7 months into the process...I love my band!

I am only a little over three months out but so far, no regrets here.

I suspect that there are significant physiological changes in our bodies when we eat high fructose corn Syrup or white flour or white sugar. Something happens to make losing weight so impossible.It is not just will power. If it was more people would be successful at losing and keeping weight off.

Sadie,

I agree with all that you said. Especially about the high fructose corn syrup. I thought that we were making some headway in people understanding its affects and apparently we were because yesterday I saw a BS public announcement type commercial put out by some the "Corn Refiners Association". They are apparently doing a campaign to try and convince people that high fructose corn syrup is not bad for you in their words "after all it is made from corn" (of course they don't mention that they genetically modify, process and refine the corn until it no longer has any healthy value)

In the commericial Woman "A" is pouring sweet drinks for kids at a party. Woman "B" comments about fructose corn syrup and says "you know what they say about High Fructose corn syrup" woman "A" says "No, what?", woman "B" stammers and can't come up with an answer. Then they go into this line about how it is not unhealthy like people say. :thumbup:

Edited by Jodi_620

I've been banded for 2 years now. One of the best things i've done in my life. I got my band when i was 18 and it changed my life in so many ways, friends, confidence, sports, music, sex, family, mood, and it goes on and on.

I have only had my band for 5 weeks and I am totally in love... of course the only thing I do regret is that I did not do this sooner.

I'm very positive about the band, because it made me review how, what and why I ate. I've made so many changes since banding and I can't imagine going back to how I once was.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I can't say that "don't know how I feel..." is really a proper answer for me. I know, but it is sort of in-between.

I am happy that I am losing. I went for my second fill day-before-yesterday, and will no doubt will go back for another one in a couple of weeks, since I am still not at that "sweet spot" yet (I can tell it after 2 days).

I am glad I was able to get this tool to help me do what I knew I could do but just didn't have quite enough in me to keep of what I have lost in the past.

But can I say it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life... I wouldn't rank it nearly that high... Accepting Christ, asking my wife to marry me, taking the responsibility of guardianship over Theresa (age 41 with Down syndrome), bypassing some of the high-dollar comforts to work in non-profit organizations and churches, starting my own business to help struggling artists, etc., all rank much higher in my book than getting a lap band.

The band? It was just a thing so that I can, maybe, do some of the other things a bit longer and a bit better.

If you has ask me that right after I had surgery I would have had to think hard or it.But at this stage past the pain and the liquid diet I love my band.It is the like a consciences presence always there to remind me not to indulge in my weakest moments.I am not ashamed of my band I am proud to have gotten it when so many are still waiting and trying.I am a self pay aswell so my risk as other self paid people is high, we paid the price if it fails,so I think we are more aware of the price we have paid for weight loss.But I can say it has been worth ever penny even if I never get to a size 10 and I did not have to rework the plumbing I was designed with.Before the band yes I could lose weight but it always found its way back with a vengeance.

The last two months I have fought with Constipation, and very little weight loss but I didn't gain a pound back .This week I finally found the right combination that works for me and lost 3 pounds .

Edited by Bamagal

At the time of banding no, but now yes. It's been a long journey of figuring out why it was not the right procedure for me and a lot of it had to do with information, or lack there of I had prior to banding.

I've been banded for over a year and on this site (originally) since March of 08 as brandyII before closing shop and coming back with a new screen name because I couldn't get on with my old one. I came here trying to get info on why it wasn't working for me etc... To this day I'm still being PM'd by people because they to are having issues with the band similar to what I had and obviously are afraid (still) to bring it out in the open forum.

My only hope is, as mine is finally being removed this Friday, that people actually share the hard core information with people prior to banding. I suppose we can't always depend on actual "surgeons" to do it for them.

People tend to use the same old same old phrases "it's just a tool" or "it's not magic" which is fine but go into more detail. Tell them it isn't going to keep you from eating a box of chocolate after you just PB'd a piece of chicken. And that Cookies and chips and crackers, foods you may have struggled with prior to the band will still go through that band quite easily. You still need that old "willpower" that disappointed you on the many diets you've been on over a lifetime.

Calling it "head hunger" when your body is normally going to crave "food" when it's going into starvation mode when you only eat a couple bites of Protein or veg or just drink Protein drinks is not necessarily an accurate assessment of the situation. Your body will want food when it thinks it's starving itself and will do much to get that food!

So even though you may scare a few away from getting the band it's best to be as honest and upfront as possible. It's OK to cheer people on through the hard times but to let them know as much info as possible beforehand might avoid a lot of costly mistakes, thanks Nancy.:thumbup:

Hi & welcome!

This is definitely one of the best decisions of my life. How wonderful that you can take charge of your weight when you are young!!

Some input for you... I can eat anything... including rice, Pasta, & meat... just smaller amounts in smaller bites more slowly than I used to eat. I love that about the band!

I don't get the imposter part. I tell those I think need to know... others I don't. I tell everyone that I'm eating properly & exercising, which is true. I liken the band to a cast on a broken arm or braces on crooked teeth... do you judge folks w/these medical devices harshly??

As far as carrying around an embarrassing secret... what's embarrassing about it?? For me, it was more embarrassing to be carrying around my fat ass!!

Best wishes on your journey!!

Amen, sister. :)

I don't regret it, at all, and I've had a ton of troubles. I've had two fills since surgery, but six unfills (including a complete unfill). I'm incredibly sensitive to fills and and have found that even .25cc too much will make me vomit (not PB, but vomit). I had a single incision through my belly button...and after seven months, the incision still hadn't fully healed. Come to find out, I had a port infection, so a month ago I had a secon surgery to remove my port, clean the area and let it heal. I'm having a third surgery (hopefully) on the 23rd of this month to replace the removed port.

Given all that, I would not for a second NOT do it again. I was 319lbs at 27, borderline diabetic and had fertility problems. I got my initial Dr referral for my 28th b-day last November, and it was the greatest gift I could give to myself and my family.