Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hello everyone. I still believe. I am hoping to get on track. I have not done anything like - oh, gain weight to above pre-surgery, but it fluctuates between almost 40 lbs down and almost to Surgery, largely due to medications that I cannot do without, primarily Prednisone for life-threatening asthma this time of year for the past 3 years.

Dr R is not a hand-holder, as Paige put it in the past, and I can deal with that, knowing this going in. He is churning out these bands and bypasses to help people, for whom there are no options.

Due to medications, and having Polycystic Ovaries, all along I have wondered if or when I should convert to sleeve.

I see Dr R this month, for a fill, since it is obviously needed.

ps - I need to start going to Support Group again soon. Very Soon.

So the meetings are held in the waiting room of Dr Vernons office? So what are the meetings like, like who does them a Dr.?

Thanks,

Mona

IBelieve, so good to see you today!! It's the unexpected meetings that mean the most. I hope your appointment went well today!

So I saw Dr. R today for the first time since my re-buckling. Technically, I've gained weight since he weighed me in 2 weeks prior to the surgery. However, I gained about 10 pounds between that day and when I actually had the band re-buckled. So....I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and am about 5 pounds down since my surgery, but 5 pounds up since my pre-op over a month ago. SHOCKINGLY, Dr. R said very little about it. In fact, he spent more time talking about my hurrying to get discharged after my surgery than anything else. He pointed to my weight on the chart and said, "This is going in the wrong direction." I told him very honestly that I'm struggling. (I'm entirely overwhelmed with work right now---and let's be honest---it drives me immediate to the stuff we shouldn't eat. I'm human. This is temporary, but right now, I'm over my head.) I also followed that with, "I've been talking with Monica." which is also true. I'm up a few pounds today, expecting it's actually PMS. So...that was it. He looked at my sutures to be sure they're healing. Asked if I have any restriction. Wondered if I'm feeling ok....and never lectured. Never gave me a hard time.

So.....I was ready for a lecture and nearly called last Friday to cancel today's appointment. I'm really glad I didn't. I go back in 4 weeks (assuming I EVER get through to make an appointment. Does anyone else struggle with this "new" woman in making appointments???? I know the voicemail says she'll return your call in 24 hours, but that has NEVER happened for me. In fact, it typically takes 3-4 calls for me to make a simple appointment. She doesn't return my calls. EVER) for my first fill. I'm feeling huge. Overwhelmed with work, but so relieved I'm headed back in the right direction. I'm still down 65 pounds since my original surgery, but I don't have any clothes that fit and am scheduled for a vacation in 12 days. Not how I wanted to look or feel, but I so desperately need it. I'm just relieved to be back on my journey. Will absolutely be at the meeting @ the Faulkner this month. Hope to see you guys there, too!! :)

So nice to see you last week NotATeech! You looked marvelous, no matter what you are thinking of your weight. So I think you are getting good nutrition, so maybe the Doctor thought as much too. I think they look at us post surgeries as much for our getting our nutritional needs met, and then the hard part, diet and restriction. I dropped an F bomb when I was weighed in. But they were more interested in getting me on track and back in there regularly, so no one gave me a hard time.

<3 ibelieve <3

Anyone headed to the meeting next week @ the Faulkner? I'd like to go, but if most of you aren't going.....I'll head to the DESE forum on teacher evaluation instead! Keep me posted! :)

Meeting tonight! I should be there!

~Mel

I am planning on being there tonight also!

Sorry I missed you guys tonight. I had to make the decision before lunch today, so I went to meet with the Dept. of Ed since no one responded earlier. :(

It depends on who attends....they're run by the dieticians. Typically they have some topic or another, relating to "banded life" and how to deal with frustrations, issues, concerns, etc. After that it has always been a free for all. However, I've not attended since Monica started working with the program, so they may be very different. Attendees range from pre-op, people considering LB and post-op. Didn't you have to attend one of the meetings before they allowed you to be banded?

It depends on who attends....they're run by the dieticians. Typically they have some topic or another, relating to "banded life" and how to deal with frustrations, issues, concerns, etc. After that it has always been a free for all. However, I've not attended since Monica started working with the program, so they may be very different. Attendees range from pre-op, people considering LB and post-op. Didn't you have to attend one of the meetings before they allowed you to be banded?

Thanks, the only meeting I had went to was in the very begining with a room full of people and the Dr's going ove with a film what its all about, I have not gone to any other meeting, which I would like to go to the next one they have.

According to my print out...meeting tonight July 11th @ Faulkner. Whos in?

Changed my appointment for this afternoon. I'm in for tonight. See you then! :)

Anyone ever see a Lapband commerical on tv?

Remember this one from a few years ago?

http://youtu.be/3CyZPAuztvs