Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

So....what I gather from reading posts is that after the information session, I will have a better sense of what LB entails and what tests I will need to get done prior to surgery and/or to get approval.

I never thought of snoring! You are right...I do snore....most nights my husband leaves the bed!

So what tests are the ones I need to get done prior to surgery? I know I will learn more at the session in October...but you all ARE my information session! LOL.....

:blushing:

Wow....talk about being type A, huh? :biggrin: Don't waste your money on buying too much. Seriously....your taste in things will change once you're banded. What you like today will not necessarily be something you like or can tolerate next week or even tonight. As far as "absorbing" enough Protein goes---listen to what your nutritionist says. They see hundreds of patients a month. They've been through this. They will be your best guide. I have to say, there is a point where too much info is just that---too much info. You--as a Lab Band patient--won't need liquid B. A Multi-Vitamin and Calcium are all that they recommend. You won't have problems of malabsorption once you're back on solid foods---that is an affliction suffered by GB patients, not LB patients. I really think you're over researching-----people who are already banded----what's your take here?

I dont know about Type A, but I just like being prepared, the coconut oil is for absorbtion of Vitamins not protein. ANd yes, I have ran these things past the nutrionist as well, I would never presume knowledge on area in which I'm not well versed, I did all these thing with research and talking with my healthcare team. But thank you for caring enough to make sure. I am fully aware that my taste may change, but I also know that regardless if I like it or not, I have to get in that protein the first few weeks before solid food, I will just have to suck it up if I have to, to get where I need to be at solid foods. I have read here on the board about people losing hair, again I check with my pcp and bariatric surgeon and what I have bought as far as vitamins and/or supplements for Hair loss was ok and said to help in some patients. I dont believe in just a plan A, having plan B and C ready just in case is just how I operate so I'm prepared and if I dont need it now, I can always use the stuff later and if nothing else have something to share with someone else who is starting on the life changing journey. I have a new treadmill to use before I can go back to the gym, Leslie Sansome Walk away dvd etc. For me, this band is a tool and the more ways I use it correctly and to it fullest advantage the better off it will be for me. I do realize this is my approach, and not yours and reading your posts, you'd done tremendous and I applaud you, so if anything I'm listing in your experience will harm and not help, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread.

I just worry that people can be overwhelmed when given too much information. Clearly you're not one of them---which is great. I've been to many support group meetings and always feel badly for the newbies whose eyes glaze over and seem to be entirely overwhelmed by information we give. I didn't mean to demean you with all of the information you're giving. While people on this site may have reported Hair loss, no one at any of our groups in the past two years has ever mentioned experiencing it--and we've definitely discussed EVERYTHING! :biggrin: I think the important thing to remember (as reminded constantly by my surgeon) is that you're supposed to restrict how much you eat, but hopefully not what you eat. You should be able to resume a normal diet--following "the plan"--after you've healed from surgery. With the exception of fills, you should be back on solids and not need to supplement your intake with extra Protein ideally. I'd strongly recommend that you get started with the treadmill sooner, rather than later. Even if you're doing stuff at the gym now, your cardiovascular health is tremendously important during this journey. I think you'll find having the treadmill right at home to be a huge contributor to your success. I know I did. Good luck with all of it.

I just worry that people can be overwhelmed when given too much information. Clearly you're not one of them---which is great. I've been to many support group meetings and always feel badly for the newbies whose eyes glaze over and seem to be entirely overwhelmed by information we give. I didn't mean to demean you with all of the information you're giving. While people on this site may have reported Hair loss, no one at any of our groups in the past two years has ever mentioned experiencing it--and we've definitely discussed EVERYTHING! :biggrin: I think the important thing to remember (as reminded constantly by my surgeon) is that you're supposed to restrict how much you eat, but hopefully not what you eat. You should be able to resume a normal diet--following "the plan"--after you've healed from surgery. With the exception of fills, you should be back on solids and not need to supplement your intake with extra Protein ideally. I'd strongly recommend that you get started with the treadmill sooner, rather than later. Even if you're doing stuff at the gym now, your cardiovascular health is tremendously important during this journey. I think you'll find having the treadmill right at home to be a huge contributor to your success. I know I did. Good luck with all of it.

Thanks your words of wisdom have helped on this journey and helped to maintain my piece of mind even as I get close to the lifechange in less in two days. BTW, I got liquid of whatever I was taking as far as supplements that I took before the surgery. I find the B Vitamins helpful as well as the Omega's. I totally agree with you on the cardio, I have been incorporating zumba and kickboxing the last few weeks as well as the bosu ball, that ball is amazing.......I'm kinda bummed the surgeon said no weights till 6 weeks................but you gotta do what you gotta due.........have a fabulous evening, I'm bummed the Pats blew it....

Thanks your words of wisdom have helped on this journey and helped to maintain my piece of mind even as I get close to the lifechange in less in two days. BTW, I got liquid of whatever I was taking as far as supplements that I took before the surgery. I find the B Vitamins helpful as well as the Omega's. I totally agree with you on the cardio, I have been incorporating zumba and kickboxing the last few weeks as well as the bosu ball, that ball is amazing.......I'm kinda bummed the surgeon said no weights till 6 weeks................but you gotta do what you gotta due.........have a fabulous evening, I'm bummed the Pats blew it....

You'll be fine without weights for 6 weeks---really you will! The time after surgery is important for you to heal. Your port needs to properly adhere and your incisions need to heal. It was far more painful than I anticipated, but I didn't take any pain medication because I didn't take any time off from work. (I had to be able to drive the 1-1.5 hour commute!) Sounds like you'll be in good shape. I felt funky for a few weeks after surgery because of how my body reacted to the anesthesia, not from the surgery. Good luck with yours. Don't push the 6 week hiatus. You'll need that time off. Rest up!

You'll be fine without weights for 6 weeks---really you will! The time after surgery is important for you to heal. Your port needs to properly adhere and your incisions need to heal. It was far more painful than I anticipated, but I didn't take any pain medication because I didn't take any time off from work. (I had to be able to drive the 1-1.5 hour commute!) Sounds like you'll be in good shape. I felt funky for a few weeks after surgery because of how my body reacted to the anesthesia, not from the surgery. Good luck with yours. Don't push the 6 week hiatus. You'll need that time off. Rest up!

I agree the more time off the better. Healing is the most important thing right after surgery. I was lifting weights prior to surgery and was also bummed when I found out I would have to wait 6 weeks. I waited until Dr. Vernon gave me to go ahead to return to my workouts. I returned to working out with my trainer who was very careful with the specific weights and moves that we did for another several weeks. Listen to your body don't try to rush the healing process or the weight lifting. Your body will let you know when you are ready to take on more exercise.

Hi Everyone, I hope those going into, or coming out of their surgery and recovery phases, are all doing well, and those continuing on in their journey are all healthy and happy still.

I had my 3rd fill last Tuesday morning, and wow, I got restriction. wow. It is good, I figured it out when it did not go well on Friday at lunch after I let myself get too hungry, on an already bad tense day. (***GROSSNESS ALERT*** It really is PB and Slime! Their is no stomach acid, just a lot of gunk from the mucous membranes whose job it is to start the food on it's way into the stomach. So, well well chewed food and saliva). Anyhow, wow. yuck. I think the food, and maybe eating too fast. too much. ? It was mindless eating, thoughts a million miles from what I was doing, eating, so warning, do not take your mind off safe healthy band-aware eating, just sayin' ya know, I share so people can know.

phew. yuck, sorry :frown:

I have dropped 9 lbs since Tuesday ~ so on Dr R scale, that is 5. :biggrin:

1. now am learning that if I eat too little, it is better than figuring out too late I ate too much. It is not taking much at all. Does that stop so you need another fill? (I am going to milk this one, I need results ~ now).

Edited by ibelieve
added 1. and typos and added 2 conspicuosly absent close parens the second edit hope I got it squared now and no more editing

13 hours and counting...my mom and best friend have called to see if I'm nervous, they are lOL, funny thing is I'm calm and focused, packed my bag, laptop waiting downstairs, will wait with my honey while I"m under....any last words of wisdom?

ibelieve yeah some people have pbing issues when they dont eat or arent mindful.

best of luck Bostonlady if by some odd chance you are on floor 15 let me know (you shouldnt be) bc my friend just had her appendix out. last words of wisdom is to force yourself to take it easy even if you feel okay.

sorry I didnt make the last support meeting...work got in the way. its a shame bc I need it bad... up in weight and eating poorly.

Hello, well I'm in my room surgery went well,just feel like I did alot of crunches, then again could be the pain pump, but I'm ready to get up and walk, they had to fix my hernia, I had nauseau when I woke up but one shot and now I'm fantastic. My Realize band comes with a card to log in on the site. This journey has started out oh so well and I thank god for continuing to do so. I might take a nap, but WOW I feel good. The three things I was most worried about were nausea, gas pains and port pain. The nausea is gone, I have some mild gas pains across the front of shoulders but NOT bad at all just feels like a pulled muscle and no port pain right now, like I said feels more like alot crunches. I'm glad I brought my laptop what a release

Hello, well I'm in my room surgery went well,just feel like I did alot of crunches, then again could be the pain pump, but I'm ready to get up and walk, they had to fix my hernia, I had nauseau when I woke up but one shot and now I'm fantastic. My Realize band comes with a card to log in on the site. This journey has started out oh so well and I thank god for continuing to do so. I might take a nap, but WOW I feel good. The three things I was most worried about were nausea, gas pains and port pain. The nausea is gone, I have some mild gas pains across the front of shoulders but NOT bad at all just feels like a pulled muscle and no port pain right now, like I said feels more like alot crunches. I'm glad I brought my laptop what a release

Glad everything went well. Are you at the Brigham or the Faulkner?

I'm feeling good about my decision, but still a little nervous about anesthesia.

About 37 hours till I get mine. Feels surreal. Getting very excited about being a healthier and thinner me :bored:)