Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

When I first had surgery I told only a few close friends and family. I didnt tell my coworkers bc they werent all that interested and all they knew was I having surgery. Maybe its bc I work for a small company and my bosses are men.When I did tell it was only one person (female) and shes kept it quiet. They knew I was dieting bc of the food I was eating but the weight came off slowly it wasnt a huge issue.

Now that Im almost 2 years out most people know and Ive been surprised at the people who I assume know but didnt

I had my surgery right before Thanksgiving, I ate some mushie green Beans, pushed food around my plate, and was the first to start clean up. I dont think anyone really noticed

Edited by tinywishes123

On telling people -

I only told a few people. My boyfriend whom i've been with for 6yrs so I had no gripes about telling him and he was excited - said the usually I dont think you need it you are beautiful but if you want it I am ok with it. I had to tell my best friend in the whole world who came with me to almost all of my appointments. She just moved to paris for 6 months so she couldnt be there for my surgery, I was sad but we skyped! [My goal is to lose weight for paris! im going over thanksgiving!!!!:frown: My mom and dad knew of course since Im only 23. My roommate is a pharmacist and I am extremely close with her. I have another roommate but we decided she shouldnt know because she tells her boyfriend everything. its good too because when my eating habits change I can have my roommate there and she wont question anything. She is also very very fit and healthy and is a great work out buddy. Lastly I told my marathon running friend who will be my personal trainer when I get back to school. When I told her she screamed in excitement. My mom had told her best friend whom i was going to tell after which I am ok with because she wont tell anyone and is a really great friend. So Its not like I told EVERYONE but I def picked and chose whom I thought would be the best help for me. For me I need friends to go through this ride with me and I wouldnt change that.

secondly, It has been almost a week since surgery and I can NOT drink anything more than 3 ounces and only sometimes can have a 6 ounce lipton cup of Soup. I get ridiculously full. I still feel acidy and gassy. I got gas-x strips and tums quick pak instant dissolve powder which help but I still cant eat/drink more. Is this normal?? It kinda gets me nervous. My port suture is still a wee bit painful it looks pseudo like a hack job haha I hope it doesnt heal ugly.

goood luck meg on your surgery!!!! :P

secondly, It has been almost a week since surgery and I can NOT drink anything more than 3 ounces and only sometimes can have a 6 ounce lipton cup of Soup. I get ridiculously full. I still feel acidy and gassy. I got gas-x strips and tums quick pak instant dissolve powder which help but I still cant eat/drink more. Is this normal?? It kinda gets me nervous. My port suture is still a wee bit painful it looks pseudo like a hack job haha I hope it doesnt heal ugly.

:thumbup:

the port area takes quite a bit of time to heal and will be sore for a while. Sometimes if I turn the wrong way or bend weird mine still can bother me.

Its normal to only be able to take in a 1/2 cup now.Your stomach is still very swollen and healing... but if you are really worried dont hesitate to call the number I listed above.

Just make sure you arent drinking too fast or gulping as that can introduce air into your pouch. Your days of chugging are over

The next support meetings are Monday Sept 14th at the Faulkner and Tuesday Sept 15th at B&W

Edited by tinywishes123

Happy Hump Day everyone, how are you doing? K8 how are you feeling? Thanks for the great words tinywishes and Heidi.... I finally got a direct answer on the Protein Shots NO.......and I was also told there is a difference in the bands, the Realize band port is flatter and can clip to the muscle wall, however my surgeon still stitches it in and the Realize Band has one continuous pillow whereas the lap band has numerous ones and the lap band can be filled more and the realize band is wider and that is suppose to lead to a lesser chance of slippage. Does anyone know when the next meeting is at Faulkner? I'd like to attend a meeting or two before surgery. Thanks and have a great week!

the port area takes quite a bit of time to heal and will be sore for a while. Sometimes if I turn the wrong way or bend weird mine still can bother me.

Its normal to only be able to take in a 1/2 cup now.Your stomach is still very swollen and healing... but if you are really worried dont hesitate to call the number I listed above.

Just make sure you arent drinking too fast or gulping as that can introduce air into your pouch. Your days of chugging are over

The next support meetings are Monday Sept 14th at the Faulkner and Tuesday Sept 15th at B&W

"The next support meetings are Monday Sept 14th at the Faulkner and Tuesday Sept 15th at B&W "

I would really like to go tp one of these. Is anyone going?

Well, I am still stuck at the same weight :mad:. I was thinking of TRYING to stick to just Protein Shakes & liquids for a day or two. Have any of you done that when stuck at a plateau?

Yesterday was a busy day. My oldest Lydia started 2nd grade. Poor thing was so nervous I thought she would throw up. I remember the feeling well.........I'd always get it before speaking in front of the class in school. God, I hated that more then anything!!! Lydia did have a good day & kept tsaying her teacher was very nice :thumbup:. My middle dd Karaline went back to preschool for a few hrs a week. It'll be nice once they settle in. Still have have my 3 yr old Lacie home w/ me.

Paige~ Do you teach???

Edited by heidib

Ha ha I feel your pain. I've done 3 appt. with both kiddos in tow, ages 4 and 2.. fun times and bribery really doesn't work Good luck! :thumbup:)[/QUOT

I end up bringing the girls w/ me a lot to app. It's just a long ride for me into Boston 45min. If you get stuck in traffic its stinks,

"The next support meetings are Monday Sept 14th at the Faulkner and Tuesday Sept 15th at B&W "

Well, I am still stuck at the same weight :). I was thinking of TRYING to stick to just Protein Shakes & liquids for a day or two. Have any of you done that when stuck at a plateau?

Yesterday was a busy day. My oldest Lydia started 2nd grade. Poor thing was so nervous I thought she would throw up. I remember the feeling well.........I'd always get it before speaking in front of the class in school. God, I hated that more then anything!!! Lydia did have a good day & kept tsaying her teacher was very nice :blink:. My middle dd Karaline went back to preschool for a few hrs a week. It'll be nice once they settle in. Still have have my 3 yr old Lacie home w/ me.

Paige~ Do you teach???

Hey Heidi, do you live near the city? Maybe we could work out together.

Hey Heidi, do you live near the city? Maybe we could work out together.

No, I live about 40 min north from the city.

Well, I couldn't do just liquids today but I was good anyway. I just got back from a 3 mile walk YAAAAY ME :)! You all probably get sick of me telling I've been good & what I've done for exercise but it makes me feel good to tell someone :blink: LOL! Hope the scale moves soon!!! Fingers crossed! :cool2:

Well, I am still stuck at the same weight :ohmy:. I was thinking of TRYING to stick to just Protein Shakes & liquids for a day or two. Have any of you done that when stuck at a plateau?

Yesterday was a busy day. My oldest Lydia started 2nd grade. Poor thing was so nervous I thought she would throw up. I remember the feeling well.........I'd always get it before speaking in front of the class in school. God, I hated that more then anything!!! Lydia did have a good day & kept tsaying her teacher was very nice :blushing:. My middle dd Karaline went back to preschool for a few hrs a week. It'll be nice once they settle in. Still have have my 3 yr old Lacie home w/ me.

Paige~ Do you teach???

Heidi,

Tell your daughters that teachers are JUST as nervous and excited about the first day. I never used to sleep the day before school started! I'm not teaching directly any more, but was an elementary and middle school teacher for 14 years. I now work in Professional Development for our school department and Teachers' Union. I go back next week...one more week by the pool!

As far as the liquids go, I'm not disciplined enough to do that. I've now gained 9 pounds since my unfill and since I haven't been able to workout . It's killing me. I have an appointment on the 14th at the Faulkner at 3:45. Maybe I'll stick around in the area and go to the support group meeting if you are going. Let me know! :tt1: Paige

Heidi come here and brag all you want. I think my friends and family are sick of hearing me talk about food, exercising and losing weight. have you googled the 5day pouch test?

Once again Im wondering if I need a fill or am I okay? Been up and down these same 5lbs since the start of the year.

I can only do Monday the 14th so this works out for me!

Thanks Mel lol! I got in another 2 MLs yesterday lol!

I've been measuring my food too. Stiill I am not moving the scale. I have to stop weighing myself!!! It's so hard for me not to. The 14 this at the Faulkner??

Heidi---I LOVE the new pic!!

Mondays are always at the Faulkner, Tuesdays at the Brigham, though they're not usually the same week. I'll go the 14th. Hoping to see you guys all there! :) Paige

FINALLY!!! I got on the scale this morning & I was down

4 lbs!

I feel so good! This has totally remotivatyed me!!! :drool::lol::thumbup::thumbup::):thumbup::biggrin:

Excellent job, Heidi. Now don't weigh yourself again for a few days---your weight will/should fluctuate throughout the day and from day to day. Don't keep checking because you'll get frustrated if it goes back up.

You going to make it out next Monday for the meeting? Keep up that great work! :thumbup: