Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One question . . . okay four questions.

I'm just beginning my lap-band journey - just phoned the surgeon's office and am waiting the initial paperwork. I've been reading and reading and reading threads on this site trying to absorb as much info as possible to be prepared. Some things sound sublime and wonderful, some things sound awful and very scary. I have only told my mother, my best friend and my bf about my considering this surgery. My mom and best friend are all for it. My bf, not so much. In the end, I will do what is best for me.

but, I have one question to whomever will answer it - Weighing all factors (expense, time, results, pain, lifestyle changes, mental changes, physical changes, etc.) equally - is it worth it? Really worth it? Would anyone change anything? Does anyone regret anything?

Okay, so that's four questions. :biggrin2:

And they might sound like silly questions, but from my point of view, its a big scary heap of change, effort and plastic surgery (that never even occurred to me before!!!). I'm a little scared, but I'm more worried that this is just another one of THOSE excuses - you know, the ones we make up to have a reason note to change.

Thanks to anyone who will share their thoughts!

I have one question to whomever will answer it - Weighing all factors (expense, time, results, pain, lifestyle changes, mental changes, physical changes, etc.) equally - is it worth it?

yes

Really worth it?

Definitely

Would anyone change anything?

done it sooner

Does anyone regret anything?

not doing it sooner

I've been there and done that when it comes to the band. My case has been textbook, meaning everything has gone according to plan w/o any goofs. I'm on maintenance now so feel free to ask questions.

I most definately would have it done again! I don't regret a thing!! I'm looking forward to a lighter and happier me! :ohmy:

If you take this journey, you will find that you don't have to ask those questions! This is one decision I made in my life that I will never, ever regret if I live to be 100! (And HEY, I just MIGHT!) :ohmy:

I am 100% thrilled with all aspects of the band. I don't regret it at all. I would definitely do it again. It is totally worth it. I wish I would have done it sooner. I fought with insurance for 2 years before I gave up and got a loan to pay for it. Even with the loan payment each month it is worth it. I save a lot of money on food now. It is funny how the food I buy has changed so much. I used to buy Diet Coke every time I went to the store and now I buy milk. What a shocker.

The band has changed my life for the better.

People ask me all the time if I'm happy I did it, or if I regret anything. The best way I can answer them is that even when I'm at my worst, I would do it all over again without thinking twice.

Due in part to talking to me about it, 4 of my family members are in the insurance process, 3 friends have already had the surgery, 4 spouse's friends have had the surgery, and 2 more friends are in the insurance. Plus various stages for about 6 people at work (although one of them changed her mind to bypass). I wouldn't recommend something that highly to people I care about if there was anything I regretted.

Even if I have to lose my band someday, there will be no regret.

Absolutely would not hesitate to do it again in a heartbeat! My DIL is considering it -- hoping to battle PCOS issues and have a baby. If I had the $ to pay for everyone of my obese friends and family to have it done, I would!

I'm about halfway through my journey, and if I never lost another pound, it would STILL be worth it. This is BY FAR the best thing I've ever done!!! Yes, there are some things that are hard, but who cares! I was a tight size 26. Now I'm an 18. I'm good!

I think I'm feeling a little worried mainly because I've tried so. many. different. things. already and ALL have failed. This genuinely seems like the one thing that might work, but I'm afraid of getting my hopes up - in case insurance won't cover it, or something.

Thank you all for the inspiring words. I feel like daring to hope!

Here's where I was at before surgery:

I'm pretty decided that I need some kind of help, outside the next diet, to keep the weight off. Most of the options seem pretty drastic to me, but this band thing -- I could deal with that. People seem to do well with it, and although loss rates seem maybe a little low, there's nothing guaranteeing I have to be a statistic. I've beaten the numbers before, why couldn't I do it now? But then again...

If you're anything like me, I could lose the weight, but I could never keep it off. So I lived this constant cycle of failing. After you learn that you're a failure for so long, it's really really hard to believe that something could work. I mean, the last thing we want is to get our hopes up, only to have them crushed -- again -- right?

So here's how I looked at it. It was still up to me to lose the weight. I had to do it this one last time. My band's job was to help me keep it off. Up until I was under anestehsia I was constantly analyzing my decision (I'm a "thinker"). And if I ever felt any doubt or uncertainy that I was doing the right thing (trust me, I had more moments of -- Maybe just one more diet is all it would take... -- than I can count), I just had to remind myself -- this is the LAST TIME I will have to lose the weight.

I didn't know if insurance would cover me or not, but that wouldn't have stopped me. I was actually approved very quicky and very easily, without any real requirements. That was much easier than I had expected going in. Before I submitted my paperwork, I told DH about it and gained his agreement that if insurance wouldn't pay, this was something well worth writing a check for. Then I got a very happy surprise in the form of a 3 week approval and told DH to save the money and put it toward future plastics instead. :ohmy:

BTW. I don't put my stats in my signature, but I was 382 lbs the day of surgery. Today I'm about 228. My BMI has gone from almost 55 to just under 33. Medically I was medically "super morbidly obese." I'm still medically obese, but I'm close to just "overweight". An odd thing for someone who's never been there to Celebrate, but a huge celebration for me. And I've lost about 10 sizes.

Trust me, if anyone out there was "labeled" to fail, it was me.

BTW. I don't put my stats in my signature, but I was 382 lbs the day of surgery. Today I'm about 228. My BMI has gone from almost 55 to just under 33. Medically I was medically "super morbidly obese." I'm still medically obese, but I'm close to just "overweight". An odd thing for someone who's never been there to Celebrate, but a huge celebration for me. And I've lost about 10 sizes.

Just have to say WAY TO GO....and thanks for putting yourself out there for those of us at the starting gates! You made me smile BIG :ohmy:

Oh my goodness - that "maybe just one more diet" thing is EXACTLY what I'm doing right now. My best friend is also overweight and has recently started the Alli pills. I thought about trying them as well, until I read the side effects.

But, I've totally tried a million other "diet pills" - metabolife (back when it still had ephedra), hydroxycut, xantax, dexatrim, trimspa- none of them worked. I'd lose some weight, and then it would come right back once I stopped taking them.

Same story with Weight watchers, La weight loss and even exercise. In the summer of 2005 I walked 3 miles a day, five days a week for 6 mos and lost next to nothing. That was a deathblow to both my confidence and determination to lose weight. If even exercise didn't help, I must be screwed.

I fully admit to feeling a bit hopeless as things are now. I think the LB (or some form of WLS) is my only option. But if insurance doesn't cover it, for whatever reason, I don't have the money to do it on my own. Or, if insurance doesn't cover any potential PS needs well post-WLS, I don't have that kind of money either. That's my main worry presently.

Though that is putting the cart well before the horse, to be sure. :ohmy: The problem being that I'm also a thinker and a worrier (not to mention, also an atheist).

In this tedious time while waiting for the paperwork, all there is to do is investigate and think.

But, I'm very very glad there's a place like this for me to vent my rambly fears and worries because only people going through it can understand it. Try as they might, my well-meaning family and friends just don't know.

That is nothing short of extraordinary! I have roughly 125 lbs to lose (assuming we get to "pick" our goal weight). Seeing your numbers gives me even more cause to hope.

Thank you so much for sharing that.