Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm thinking about getting banded

Hi Everyone,

My name is Paul and over the last decade I've gotten to be about 100 lbs overweight which is alot considering I'm not exactly tall. I put on about 60 lbs in the last year after I quit smoking.

Just went to a "seminar" about different weight loss surgeries. I think the LapBand would be the one for me, but I'm still hesitant. Told the doctor I would like to try once with diet and exercise alone, but the numbers don't lie, it's not easy at all.

I quit smoking two years ago and that was incredibly hard, but well worth it. However, I used the patch, Zyban, and an online support group. I feel the LapBand is kind of like one of the tools to help quit smoking. Sure you can go cold turkey, but your overall success rate is only 7%, but over 60% if you use all the tools.

Still, I'm still not sure if surgery is what I want to do, but there seems to be alot of success stories here.

Just give it alot of thought and weigh all your options.

I'm a food addict, so I can sort of relate to smokers. My mother, on hospice now w/ congestive heart failure and COPD... still smokes. I've watched what it can do to someone.

But like her, taking off her oxygen mask to have a few puffs...I still overeat from time to time. But the band won't let me digest it.

Let us know how things go for you in this process.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Paul and over the last decade I've gotten to be about 100 lbs overweight which is alot considering I'm not exactly tall. I put on about 60 lbs in the last year after I quit smoking.

Just went to a "seminar" about different weight loss surgeries. I think the LapBand would be the one for me, but I'm still hesitant. Told the doctor I would like to try once with diet and exercise alone, but the numbers don't lie, it's not easy at all.

I quit smoking two years ago and that was incredibly hard, but well worth it. However, I used the patch, Zyban, and an online support group. I feel the LapBand is kind of like one of the tools to help quit smoking. Sure you can go cold turkey, but your overall success rate is only 7%, but over 60% if you use all the tools.

Still, I'm still not sure if surgery is what I want to do, but there seems to be alot of success stories here.

Dude, you are echoing proably 75% of the folks here that have been banded.

What made me get a band was that dieting did not last and I always ended up gaing more than the time before. Sure the band is a tool keep reading here and you will find there are alot of people here just like you.

Matt

Hi Paul, Im exactly where you are. Went to the seminar Monday and soooo many things to think about. The doc said no carbanated drinks ever again, no ice cream ever again, no meat ever again. I dont know if I can do that. If it's true, i don't know how anyone can do that. I've seen posts on here about eating a couple of bites of ice cream and having a mountain dew. If that is so, I could do that. Meat is sort of hard to give up, but I wonder if I really have to give all that up forever. Any one have any advice for us still thinking on it.?????

Carol

From the support groups I've attended and reading here I see that some people can eat meat...it just depends....Also, remember that your taste buds and cravings will change some eventually...so what seem like very important now...may not later...you know the slogan

"Nothing tastes as good as slim feels"....it is a sacrafice...but so is living fat and unhealthy....I'm ready...even if I can't eat some foods later because they don't agree with me.....Making me unhealthy is a different kind of not agreeing with me....

Good Luck and keep reading because you'll learn so much!!!

Post-surgery I guess it won't matter. At this point I just want to lose the weight. Now (pre-surgery) if I don't eat meat, I really begin to crave it. I guess it's the Protein my body wants. I understand the no allowed junk food, and ice-cream; I just can't imagine them telling actually telling you no meat allowed. How else would you get your protein?

I have never heard this...other than wanting you to loose weight before....my doc has not said no meat....now a few days prior to surgery you will have to go on a "clean" out type diet, I am learning soon about all that.

I do not have a lot of meat at all because I use Protein shakes....that is just what I have done to loose weight for many attemps. I can't say I crave meat when I don't eat it because of the Protein supplements I have....and believe me I LOVED being on Atkins diet at one time and lost a bunch....only to gain it back...what I am saying is I loved meat then...I don't seem to miss it...

Maybe someone else can comment on the no meat issue (pre-op)

I have been banded sence Aug. I didn't do enough research, decided in Aug and had it done right away. It is much harder than expected, I wanted a quick fix and it is not. I have lost 30lbs, love that part. But many times food gets stuck and it hurts! You have to learn to listen to your body and chew like crazy and eat slowly. Also I am exercising about 4x a week. The good news is my cholestrol is now at 168!! Because you have to think when you are eating it is a contant reminder, which is good. If I had known it was going to be like this I think I would have given dieting and exercising another shot. But so easy to slide. My Dr. says eat Protein first and that means meat! Espically chicken and fish. Hope this helps. Good lucK!:biggrin2:

Paul, you can eat meat, fish, chicken anything you wish. But you cannot eat fast and you cannot take normal size bites and swallow. You must chew the food till chopped small enough to eventually pass past your band. You should stop eating in fifteen minutes. Portion Control is the secret. You may find that certain foods get stuck and cause you to spit them up (PBing).

To lose weight you must learn to et the bandster way.

Portion control, eat Protein first, chew really well,and stop after fifteen minutes. Allow your brain to get The message that you are full (the stretch) then relax.

Matt

Edited by mattintosh

Welcome pbpunisher. I hope that you find help and support here regardless of your decision.

I just wanted to address wimpys comment about the "bans" on meat, ice cream and carbonated drinks. First, the "no meat" thing -- I have never heard or read that anywhere and am surprised that a surgeon would make such a blanket statement. All bandsters are so different in what they can tolerate. Some can't eat certain types of meat, or meat cooked in certain ways. I'm sure there are some who can't eat meat at all, but I would say that they are in the minority. To say that getting banded means never eating meat again is simply not true.

I've only been banded for about six weeks and have had one fill, but I eat meat. I have discovered that I can't eat very dry, tough or fibrous meat, which was something I was aware of as a possibility pre-op. But I have eaten all kinds of meat -- including steak, chicken, pork, shrimp and fish -- without problems as long as they are moist and I take small bites and chew well.

As for ice cream it is discouraged because it goes through the band very easily and provides a lot of sugar, calories and fat without much else. But never again is also incorrect.

Finally, the carbonated beverages. I have noticed that surgeons vary a lot on this one. Some say nothing about it. Others, like mine, say to avoid it because they believe it can inflate the pouch and cause excessive gas. Some people take little sips or open a can of soda and let it go flat before drinking (which I see no point in doing because the carbonation is part of the enjoyment, but there it is). That's again something that differs from person to person. Personally I decided to just give it up. Yes, I liked my Diet Coke, but I drank maybe one a day if that. I haven't had it in over two months and it's not been that big of a deal.

So basically, what I'm saying is that there aren't that many universal absolutes when it comes to post-op diet. It's all about your surgeon, your body and what you choose to do with the tool that is the band.

I agree with many of the others about the meat thing. My surgeon recommends that you eat Protein first and then your veggies and such. I have trouble with white chicken, pork, and steak. Now, I've found that if the meat is tender and not dry, then I usually can eat it as long as I cut it in very small bites and dip it in steak sauce, ranch or something like that. I've become a "dipper". As for carbonated drinks, my surgeon doesn't recommend them within a few days of a fill and after that you can have them as long as you can tollerate them. They make me belch a lot and fill weird. It's hard to drink them when you are "tight". I do eat some ice cream, but I make sure it is low in carbs and sugar. Before you jump into surgery, make sure that you want it 100 percent. If you aren't ready, then don't do it. It is a lifechanging experience and it is the best decision I ever made. I love my band and it is my best friend. Good luck thinking about it.

Being healthy is better than soda pop in my book....In order to improve my life I know I have to give up somethings.

Stay positve and look at the pros and cons...

I agree with you jazma. I gave up soda 4 days ago and don't even miss it (well just a little). For me this is unheard of; pre-lap band bound I drank at least 2, sometimes 3 or 4 diet sodas a day. I was definitely addicted. Now, I am so ready to give it up, because I really want to be successful. I view the lap band as a BIG tool that will help me do what I never could before - lose weight! I am willing to sacrifice soda and other things if needed. Thankfully, I am not a big milkshake drinker or soft food eater to begin with. I have now begun drinking ice tea, which is actually really good.

I do have one more question for you in Lap band Land: If we are not supposed to eat the more "liquid" type food post band, then why are Protein Shakes okay? Since liquids supposedly go through the band they should not be able to sustain the full feeling that keeps us so happy and therefore encourage overeating.