Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lost 4lbs gained 4lbs

i havent lost any weight in almost a month then i finally lost 4 lbs in 2 days then i stepped on the scale today and gained it back. its been like this all month. up and down. ive been told that i need a fill but my next appt isnt until april 29. i will call today to see if i can get in but she usually is hard to get in to and it seems like she doesnt like to do fill any earlier than 6 weeks apart. last time i went in she said that i was doing great and that its not all about being restricted but how i eat. well i have been making bad choices but i also can eat about 2 cups of food whereas before i was eating 1 cup. i need to get back to eating better.

andrea

I was able to eat larger quantities as well, (until my last fill) but try to limit your choices to solid Protein, veggies and be sure you're getting enough Protein everyday.

Do you track your calories? If the scale doesn't go down for me, it's usually because I haven't counted the calories.

I know we hate to do that, but until you have better restriction, sometimes that's the only thing we can do, if we want the scale to continue downward.

I have a larger band and my DR. is definitely willing to fill more often, as close as two weeks, when I needed it. It took me seven or eight fills, to finally get some restriction.

You are doing very good in your weight loss and it is hard to wait six weeks, when you're hungry, for a fill.

no there isnt anywhere else i can go. i did come to the conclusion today that i shouldnt rely on my next fill. i need to do more on my part and make better choices like i did when i was first banded. yes it is hard to eat less when you are able to eat more at this point but if i can at least eat better and stick to exercising at least im trying. lately ive been slipping each day. i know that i had the band because of food issues and that my habits arent going to change over night. some say that when i get the right restriction i wont be able to eat much then hopefully ill make better choices. i know that when i was first banded i only ate what they told me to. why does that change when we can eat whatever. its like once we know that we can eat the Pasta, bread, etc. we get off track. at least for me thats what happened. i do better when i have to do something. is it normal for us to get off track?

andrea

i haven't lost any weight in almost a month then i finally lost 4 lbs in 2 days then i stepped on the scale today and gained it back. its been like this all month. up and down. Ive been told that i need a fill but my next apt isnt until april 29. i will call today to see if i can get in but she usually is hard to get in to and it seems like she doesnt like to do fill any earlier than 6 weeks apart. last time i went in she said that i was doing great and that its not all about being restricted but how i eat. well i have been making bad choices but i also can eat about 2 cups of food whereas before i was eating 1 cup. i need to get back to eating better.

andrea

It would seem that this is a recurring problem for just about everyone.

Why?

Well I think it is what I call "Testing the band"

This is when we start to slip back to old eating habits. We subconsciously are testing the band, Like trying to see what happens when we eat say, bread, riice and stuff we were told or know will cause us to PB or gain weight.

We can only get these babies just so tight yikes!!

We have to make the choices and not stray. We can't count on a fill to "fix it". Not on your case, really I am not but it is a mental issue this losing weight thing. I have been working on a "Head Band" once I got it working I will make a fortune !!!

Check your caloric intake .. Needs to be in the 1000 catagory per day range. Also it takes about three days to start to lose again after eating too much just one time. These are laws that won't change band or no band. Please stay focused never ever ever give up you have done well and will continue to do so.

Matt

I was able to eat larger quantities as well, (until my last fill) but try to limit your choices to solid Protein, veggies and be sure you're getting enough Protein everyday.

Do you track your calories? If the scale doesn't go down for me, it's usually because I haven't counted the calories.

I know we hate to do that, but until you have better restriction, sometimes that's the only thing we can do, if we want the scale to continue downward.

I have a larger band and my DR. is definitely willing to fill more often, as close as two weeks, when I needed it. It took me seven or eight fills, to finally get some restriction.

You are doing very good in your weight loss and it is hard to wait six weeks, when you're hungry, for a fill.

I have the French Mid Band and it is a big one too! But it does and I think should take a few conservative fills to get solid restriction. Too much is "no bueno" In the early days we need to watch and track what we are eating and how much and how often as well.. It gets easier as you go. Trust me on this. But it is easier only when you stay on track. Hang in there and creep up on the correct pressure.. Watch out for what you wish for! LOL I know this one for sure.

no there isnt anywhere else i can go. i did come to the conclusion today that i shouldnt rely on my next fill. i need to do more on my part and make better choices like i did when i was first banded. yes it is hard to eat less when you are able to eat more at this point but if i can at least eat better and stick to exercising at least im trying. lately ive been slipping each day. i know that i had the band because of food issues and that my habits arent going to change over night. some say that when i get the right restriction i wont be able to eat much then hopefully ill make better choices. i know that when i was first banded i only ate what they told me to. why does that change when we can eat whatever. its like once we know that we can eat the Pasta,bread,etc. we get off track. at least for me thats what happened. i do better when i have to do something. is it normal for us to get off track?

andrea

I think it's totally normal to get off track, I mean we have a problem with food that doesn't just disappear becasue we have a band.

When we let too many carbs back into our diets, those old cravings come back. That's happened to me a few times in the last four months, I just go back to a day or two of high Protein and green low carb veggies only and that seems to get me back on track and stop the carb cravings.

Can;t hurt to try.

thank you for your support, i am going to start right away on more Protein and less carbs. if i can have a few days of eating like i did when i first had the band that should get me back on track. i just seem to slip everyday lately. i have messed up already this morning but i will do better for the rest of the day.

andrea

andielmt:

How did you mess up already? Maybe your food intake isn't as bad as you think it is. It is the choice of food or the quantity?

Let us know what you are eating, that you think is "bad".

Or maybe it will help you to be stay on track, if you post your meals for a couple days, so you stay "accountable". Whatever we can do to help you get back on track, we'll be here.

i had a bowl of my sons Cereal which i usually have a sf instant carnation Breakfast or go lean high Protein cereal. i usually use one of my sons very small cereal bowls but this morning i ate a reg size bowl. i couldnt believe that i could eat that much. why did i even do that. if i stick to what works i will be fine. lately ive been testing my band. ive heard of people doing that sometimes. shortgal i want to thank you for letting me know that you will help me get back on track. every day i tell myself this is the day and then i always give in. if i can stay focused for a couple of days then i think ill be ok.

andrea

andielmt:

I like Cereal for b'fast, too and I eat the lower carb, higher Protein ones like Kashi go Lean or Special K high Protein, BUT they still have carbs.

Maybe you and I are similiar in that it is easy for us to get hooked on the carbs.

So try a day or two of all protein liquids (that's really hard I know because they go through the band) but the protein helps keep us satisifed longer.

If you don't want the lall iquid, then maybe try solids but don't include carbs, like in the cereal. Eat an egg instead for b'fst, then high protein foods for lunch and dinner. No carbs.

Recently, the only days I do all liquids is when I get a fill and it really helps to boost me back on track. A month or two ago, when my weight would stall, I would do an all liquid day. Protein Drink every three hours from 8am to 8pm.

I would start at 8am with an Atkins shake and alternate every three hours with a half bottle of the Isopure CLEAR. By end of day, it comes out to 640 calories with 85 grams of protein!

A few times, I tried I couldn't get through dinner with just a shake so I substituted ( at the 5pm time) a box of Campbell's select butternut squash Soup ( definitely has carbs, tho") and then drank the 5pm 1/2 glass of Isopure at 8pm.

8am Atkins Shake 15 gms protein

11am 1/2 bottle Isopure CLear 20 gms protein

2pm Atkins Shake 15 gms

5pm 1/2 bottle Isopure CLear 20gms

8pm Atkins Shake 15 gms.

If you want to try a day like this and need a buddy, I'll do it with you!

Has to be tomorrow or Thurs. I'm going out of town on Friday for the weekend to see a friend. I know I won't do all liquids then unless it's wine!).

I also try mixing up my calorie levels, one day 800, one day 1200, just so my body doesn't expect the same thing every day.

Hope some of the suggestions work for you.

It IS about being restricted and it drives me crazy when gastric surgeons or their staff say things like that. What the heck is the band for it not for restriction? If I could have lost weight without restriction and could have controlled what went into my mouth I certainly wouldn't have forked over thousands of dollars (self pay) to get a stupid band installed! Get scheduled for fills as often as they will allow you - preschedule them (I'd schedule 5, one every six weeks if that is how long you have to wait.) You can always cancel them if you don't need them. I understand that the band is a tool and you have to work with it and follow the rules, but the principle behind the band and why it was designed was to allow people to feel full with less food and stay satisfied longer. Until you hit your sweet spot you are not going to have any more luck doing that than you did before surgery. Don't ever let anyone make you feel ashamed or less successful because you need more fills. Fills are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign that you want to get the full benefit from a band that you paid for. Nothing wrong with that. You don't try to go out and drive your car around with no air in your tires do you???

Hey guys,

This is exactly what I needed to read today. I was banded in December and have only lost 22 lbs. Yes, it is good , but not as good as I would like. I am also eating off track, it definitly is the head that needs a band along with the stomach.:thumbup: And another thing that is very strange is one day you can eat somthing, and the next you can not eat the exact same thing. I have found the easter candy too:cursing:!!! I really have to concentrate on eating better. And of course i can not get myself to excercise. This is such a struggle for me. It sucks. I feel that my band is working,

I am just pushing it to much and therefore am not loosing anymore weight. Also for me i know that I can not wait to long to eat, or I go crazy. The thing is you still have the hunger pangs, and you feel like you have to have that and more right now!! I also eat to fast still, and take to big of bites. It is great to read these comments and get other peoples thoughts when you are food crazed:cursing:. Kep up the good work all!!!! April

April

I know exactly what you're going through and I chalk it up to not having restriction. I eat too much of the wrong things also. I stopped losing weight once I introducted food back into my diet. I had a good day today after gaining back 4 lbs from my liquid diet. I had no choice if I didn't want to gain my weight back. So just hang in there. I find that when I focus on having Protein, either liquid or food that helps alleviate the cravings for carbs. I dread exercising and it takes me hours till I force myself onthe treadmill. So I am at the same point as you and know exactly what you're talking about. Let's all try to stay focused on why we got the band.

its nice to get support thanks, i think i will make several fill appointments next time just to be scheduled and then i can always cancel them like you said. whenever i call inbetween visits for a fill they act weird about it. its like they dont think that i should come in any ealier than im supposed to. it is true about why we got the band. if i could lose weight just by watching what i eat and exercising i wouldnt have had to have surgery. i think that im putting to much stress on myself. i know what ive been doing wrong i just need to learn from this and try harder. sometimes the band works for me and i feel full quickly but other times i can eat alot. like everyone says Protein, protein, protein, somedays i barely get any in. i should start with this first. im sure ill still have days where i slip but if i can focus on the protein maybe that will help with the cravings. thanks everyone

andrea