Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is recovery like?

I don't know if this is the right place to post these questions, but here goes... I am having surgery on March 23, 2005.

What can I expect in regards to recovery? Also, how do you modify the weight ticker? Can it be modified or do you have to redo it each time?

Thanks, ecbailey

Recovery is different for all of us. Some people are super human and spring back to life as if they just had a tooth pulled, while others are a little slower. I personally got sick with bronchitis the second I woke up from recovery, so I had a really hard time. But even after my chest cleared up, it took a full 2 weeks before the gas & horrible belly disgustingness went away. I had such severe cramping, gurgling & nastiness that I rushed to Urgent Care, where they ran every known test for bacteria that I might have picked up in Mexico. But I came back clean as a whistle.

I've talked to a lot of people like myself, who started feeling better after a couple days, but then went backward and got much worse for another week. I've also talked to a lot of people who went back to work just after a few days. YUCK!

I never had actual "pain." My problem was discomfort from bloating, gas, diarreah, shoulder pain... mostly bloating. I looked like they left a watermelon in my belly. I walked as often as possible and drank warm tea with honey to sooth my belly, and I practically lived on my heavenly heating pad. That's my number one piece of advice, to buy a new kingsize heating pad for the shoulder & back pain.

Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

I did pretty good. I went to a friends house the day of the surgery, I still have 2/3 of the pain medication left. I was driving around doing shopping and everything in 4 days. It's the damn gas they give you in the hospital that seems to be the worst thing - it made my shoulders hurt. But it works out. I would suggest picking up some chewable GAS-X gas (mint was best) as it seems most of us also have stomache gas for a few weeks.

As for the ticker, I always seem to have to redo it!

My recovery was very easy. I never had any pain or discomfort. The worst part for me was that I felt things I had never felt before and it was hard to know if those feelings were normal or the signal that something was wrong. So I felt a little anxious. And I was a little low on energy. I could easily have gone back to work on the fourth day, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Nancy

Guest kaznelson

Hi,

Immediately post-op it hurt!! But Im a big softie!! The first 24 hours were the worse but once I was home and got settled things were fine. The port site was the worse bit but I didnt have any problems with gas. I didnt need any pain relief once I was home. Took things slowly and returned to work 1 week later.

3 weeks post op I am feeling fantastic.

Good luck with the banding :-)

I didn't have a lot of pain, mostly discomfort. I had 1 night in the hospital, and once I was home I took 1/2 a pain pill the first night, just cause I wanted to be sure I'd sleep well, not because I was in pain. I didn't have tummy gas pains, but left shoulder pain, which was eased with massage. I was driving in a couple of days, (doctor said wait a week), but I felt great, BUT, everyone's different. Good luck to you.

Well I just got my band Friday March 18th and I must say it has been no walk in the park.I have been extremely sore and in a good bit of pain I am just now getting around a bit better.I must say the hard part is over and I know I will get better with each day.You can do this . Don't be to worried it will pass and you will reach your goals and you will be so glad you did!!! Good Luck!!

Hi, EC, have you had any type of surgery before? This is laproscopic, which certainly helps. But they are tunnelling around in there, situating the band. Please allow yourself a realistic amount of time to recoup. I'd rather take off more time than I need than go back too soon. Also, it will depend what type of work you will be returning to. Do you sit at a desk, stand on your feet a lot, walk a lot, do a lot of lifting/carrying? All of this will affect how soon you return to work. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the replies. Now, I have a good idea of what to expect. I am in graduate school, but have two children ages: 7 and 2. I am more concerned about my activity level with them. Thanks again, ecbailey

okay, I must be weird. Very little pain, other than getting a killer period. I'm uncomfortable, but not in pain. I'm a little bloated, a lot windy (yeah, so what else is new?) and making aome funny gurrgly noises.. (I was drinking Water and sounded like a bath tub draining! ooooh sexy...)

I went shoping a couple days after surgery, and drove 800 miles on Friday night with my DH...

tomorrow will be my one week bandiversary...