Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just home from the hospital after being banded!

I didn't get a cath, but I had my first adjustment two weeks ago. The adjustment was painless.......and to be truthful I was talking on my cellular phone while doc adjusted the band. My first feel was 4 cc

Nice to see you back, loprofyl.

Man, you've been doing well with the weight loss. I've got to get serious - in the last 10 days, since the doc said I could go onto soft foods, I've actually gained a pound. I don't get a fill until April 14...

Looks like you and I are rocking the same band, Mike.

Hi Fenton,

Yep - :) same band! The thing that attracted me to adjustable banding over the other methods (gastric bypass, duodenal switch, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, etc.) is that it is: less invasive, reversible, lower overall complication rate, and adjustable. It was the adjustability feature that really got me.

I'm somewhat glad I had insurance issues - my initial consult was January 2007, however, my surgery wasn't until March 2008 (due to delays because of insurance approval). During that time, the AP-L band was introduced - it is the largest band and also the most adjustable. It can hold up to 14cc of Fluid. The other bands all have really good proven track records, but I'm pretty psyched that I have the APL.

The downside to the AP-L is that clinical studies show that patients who have the AP-L lose less than those with the VG, or the AP-S. The current thinking is that doctors aren't filling them enough, hence, patients aren't getting enough restriction.

The average fill for a 10cc band (both VG and AP-S) is about 6 cc. The average fill for a 14cc band (the AP-L) is also 6 cc. As the doctors get more experience with the AP-L, they'll probably fill it more than the other bands.

This isn't a race, and I'm prepared to work with the doctor to find my sweet spot. I am preparing myself that it may take several visits and several months before I get there.

Regards,

You've sure done your research! Thanks for sharing. I'll mention that to my doc come filltime, and wonder out loud whether I might need a bit more Fluid than usual.

But he's really good, v. experienced, so I expect he knows...

By the way, what is a gastric sleeve? I know that the stomach is sewn over my band - is that a sleeve?

By the way, what is a gastric sleeve? I know that the stomach is sewn over my band - is that a sleeve?

The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, sometimes referred to as a gastric sleeve, is an operation where 60-85% of the stomach is removed. The remaining stomach is shaped like a long cylinder ( or sleeve).

It has an advantage over gastric bypass insofar as malabsorption is not an issue. Its effectiveness is purely by restriction - the stomach is smaller, hence, the patient feel fuller faster. Further, the stomach produces hormones which stimulate hunger and cravings, and by removing a large portion of the stomach, the hormones are released in much smaller quantities.

The VSG is very similar to what is generically referred to as "stomach stapling", but it has a few advantages. Mainly, stomach stapling that was performed 20 years ago generally didn't remove the stomach, but just stapled it down the middle, effectively reducing its size.

Often, short term results are extremely good, however, long term success isn't. Therefore, this procedure is usually the first in a two-stage strategy for long term weight loss. For those who may be too large for other procedures because their BMI is too high (e.g. > 50 ), a surgeon might suggest a gastric sleeve as the first phase in a weight-reduction strategy and, after the patients BMI comes down, a second operation (band, bypass, switch, etc.) can be performed.

Regards

I think most will tell you that you will have to try various foods to determine your own tolerances. My only problem with food post op has been un-toasted bread and chicken breast. It felt as if the bread was stuck in my throat and the chicken felt too dry to swallow. I have yet to try steak yet as per my post op diet. I still have a strong urge to drink while eating. Everything the surgical team has advised me to eat on my post op diet has been followed without incident.

I had a catheter still in when I woke up. It didn't hurt but was a minor discomfort when removed.

Had my first fill today 4 weeks post op, 2 cc's. Doctor said because I was losing weight and felt a slight restriction post op he wouldn't fill anymore than that. The fill was not really painful as much as a minor discomfort.

I have lost a total of 17 lbs since my surgery date. I actually gained 3 lbs about 2 weeks post op while going thru the "mushies".

Thanks, Mike - great stuff! Tell me, with the AP-L, how large is the port? And where is it on me? My port incision is a bit above my belly button - is the port directly under the incision? How big is it? The size of a bottle cap? The size of a beer can top? Somewhere in between?

I realize I probably could just feel around for it, but that's kind of freaking me out.

Yeah, I know...

I get my first fill in three weeks. I lost about 10 lbs in the 10 days or so after surgery, but in the last week, on Mushies, I put on one pound. When you found you were gaining, BigUnc, what did you do? Did you monitor your diet, cut down, change foods? I don't really have any restriction, I don't think. I've ventured into solid foods a couple of times, without any discomfort.

Thanks, Mike - great stuff! Tell me, with the AP-L, how large is the port? And where is it on me? My port incision is a bit above my belly button - is the port directly under the incision? How big is it? The size of a bottle cap? The size of a beer can top? Somewhere in between?

A picture is worth a thousand words - you can see the port in her left hand and the band is in the right.

Gastric_La_m461893.jpg

Note also that with the new AP band, there are also 2 ports. The standard port and a new low profile port. Many surgeons use the low profile port now unless the patient has a high BMI and the surgeon feels that they may have problems finding the port.

I don't know if the port is directly under the incision ??? I'm still a little tender around my port incision to attempt to feel around for it. I'm assuming it is underneath.

The port is sutured directly to your muscle.

HTH

Thanks, Wikimikebceo! <tm one stop band info>

Hmm. I think that, because of my high BMI, I probably have the higher profile port. Now I'm imagining losing weight and having my port look like a yogurt container sticking up under my skin...

Thanks Fenton, but right now I am losing more inches than weight. I went from a size 50-52 pants to a 44 right now. The main thing is doing some type of physical exercise. When I go to the gym I usually do a walk/run combination for 45 minutes to one hour.

BIG Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went home and couldn't pee. My PCG put in a catheter and put me on Flowmax. Two days later all was working again. Now recovery is easy, but that catheter was the pits.