Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you chew, chew, chew?

Believe me, once you get food stuck and experience what that feels like, you will learn to chew chew chew.

In the beginning, if you don't have much of a fill, if you don't chew enough, it's almost like you don't have a band. Once you get a fill that causes real restriction, and you don't chew enough, you will learn what I call aversion therapy. The band teaches you how much you need to chew or else you'll be sliming away until it passes through the band.

Okay, so I've really been concentrating on chewing and taking my time. I'm exhausted! :embaressed_smile: Evidently, I've not been really chewing my whole life because my jaw is actually sore now. Although, it took me longer to eat and maybe for the first time, I really tasted and enjoyed my food. There were moments during the day when I had to stop chewing to rest my jaw. I never would have thought eating could be such work! Amazing!

I've been trying to eat slower and chew more in preparation for getting the band. Prior to this, I've been REALLY into spicy foods. Well, I've found when you take time to actually CHEW your food, it's got TONS more flavor then when you gulp it down. You don't NEED to put a ton of spice on it to give it flavor.

I'm a bit in shock, actually. :shades_smile:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm definitely in love with spicy food, but I'm trying to cook with foods that'll be healthy and naturally add flavor, instead of packing on sauces.

Sometimes it's hard not to see food as the enemy when you choke or it gets stuck... but it always has so many surprises and ways to enjoy it without old, unhealthy habits.

Believe me - you will learn and QUICK the first time you have your band filled to proper restriction and you forget to chew. Once you feel that tightness in your chest so lovingly referred to as that golf ball feeling or you start "sliming", you will remember to chew the next time. :thumbup:

I guess to add my $.02 worth, you will find out RIGHT fast (and I'm STILL learning)...I agree with the others. The key is to not let yourself get TOO hungry (or drink a big glass of Water before you eat) to make sure you don't take too big of bites or too fast. I was banded in October and am still learning through 'trial and error'.

I thought we were not supposed to drink Water 30 minutes to an hour BEFORE and AFTER we eat... at least that is what my doctor says. He prefers an hour, but tells us a minimum of 30 minutes.

My doctor doesn't care if you drink right before you eat. liquids go through the band. We don't drink for an hour after we eat so we don't flush the food out of the pouch.

My problem isn't chew chew chew the food, it's medicine. I have to space all my pills out so I can them all down. Some of them can't be crushed and they give me the golf ball feeling. I keep drinking until it's gone, but it's sure a pain in the neck. or the esophagus:biggrin::sneaky:

I thought we were not supposed to drink Water 30 minutes to an hour BEFORE and AFTER we eat... at least that is what my doctor says. He prefers an hour, but tells us a minimum of 30 minutes.

Sometimes if I'm really hungry, I'll drink a big glass of Water before I eat. I've heard that a lot of times we mistake hunger for thirst and sometimes just rehydrating can take care of what we think are 'hunger' pains.

I don't drink for at least an hour after I've eaten per my doctor's instructions. He had no problem with me drinking BEFORE I ate because it does just go right through the band.

I'm 7.5 months out and I'm STILL training myself!!

I try to use a pencil eraser as a judge for cutting. It seemed ridiculous at first, but you get used to it.

And I -- PERSONALLY -- cannot eat anything hand-held. Forget it! Burger, sandwich, taco, burrito, pizza, -- FORGET IT! For some reason I canNOT take small bites and chew sufficiently and get stuck every time I try! I have to put it on a plate and cut it up like everything else!

I use a toddler-sized fork and spoon for meals at home, that definitely helps me to take smaller bites. I also cut all meats up before I start eating. If I'm eating something that I didn't cut up (or something handheld), I just have to be very mindful. I will look at what I'm putting on the fork and then take half of that. I will consciously take smaller bites of the burrito or whatever it is. I give myself 30 minutes to eat and make myself put down the fork and rest between bites.

If I don't chew enough or take big bites, then, OUCH, I get an unpleasant pain in my chest. My DH has also gotten into the habit of watching and telling me to slow down when I need it, which I appreciate. Obviously, I used to gobble my food. One interesting development is discovering that some things aren't as tasty when chewed so thoroughly. Or they're too salty or overly seasoned. Never noticed it before when I was stuffing my face!

I have been working on the small bite and the chewing. The first time--I got BORED with eating! (a new experience) I can hear it now, "How did you lose the weight?"

" I got bored with eating."

One interesting development is discovering that some things aren't as tasty when chewed so thoroughly.

I agree. I've noticed the same thing. The more you chew, the more you taste. I'm not sure I'll be able to do salad after the band. Even if I can get it down, it's a texture thing. The more it's chewed, the worse it gets. I'm bummed because I love a good salad. I'm finally getting the hang of chewing and it doesn't seem such a chore now. I do enjoy my food a lot more. What a shame to have spent my whole life wolfing down food and not really tasting it.

jbflorida, that has happened to me too! I lose interest. I guess that means I wasn't hungry anymore, right? Sometimes food gets cold before I finish it and then I'm just done.

Bea1128, that's a shame about salad. I love a good salad too. This thing specifically happened to me when getting lunch at Chik-fil-A. Used to be one of my favorite fast food places -- their signature item is a well-seasoned, fried chicken breast fillet on a bun with pickle slices. I got some nuggets there for lunch last week because I was really craving that taste. I took a tiny bite of one and started chew-chew-chewing. Then I discovered that the texture of the coating, with the grease on it, was absolutely disgusting and it was way too salty. I have always been a salt fiend but I guess since I used to eat the nuggets in one or two bites, I didn't notice how salty and greasy they were. I was so disappointed! I gave the other nuggets to my DH.

My DH has also gotten into the habit of watching and telling me to slow down when I need it, which I appreciate.

Mine will say "Slow down" or "Take it easy" or "Don't overdo it!" And I should be appreciative but sometimes it really ticks me off! Like if I just stop eating to see if its safe or wise to try another bite or not, he'll pounce, "Getting full?"

Sometimes I'd just rather not have my eating habits be the primary source of entertainment during dinner! :ohmy:

It's true. I love it. It seems sometimes that eating is more trouble than it's worth. I would rather just mix up a Protein Drink and not even bother chewing.

I'm in the same boat as a few of you. "Preparing" for the band. And now, I have stopped eating and drinking at the same time. But I learned something really interesting in doing this. I think I was drinking while I ate my food in order to pack the food in more!!! It sounds crazy, but now that I don't drink with my meals, I get full faster and I instinctively look for something to "wash it down". I used to be able to drink 3 or 4 good size glasses of a beverage while eating. Drinking helped me get rid of that "you've had enough" feeling. I can't believe I trained my body to do that! Well, all that to say, I hope getting the band (hopefully in May) will open my eyes to more disturbing habits I have developed over the years...:)