Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else in the <35 BMI Clinical Trial?

I am part of a clinical trial. There are 30 of us with BMI's >30 but <35. There is a protocol for the trial which they tell us is different from what most people have to do. I just wonder if anyone else here is in the trial.

I'm in Memphis, but I believe this was replicated all over the U.S.

I hadn't heard of this trial but am interested to hear more about it. What can you tell us. What are is the trial researching? What are the guidelines?

I am getting banded tomorrow. My BMI is also 35, but I have high cholesterol, so insurance is picking the surgery up. What other protocols do you have to complete, that is different???

Just wondering

cc

The protocol was simple really. You needed to have at least one comorbidity (I think it is called), which would be high blood pressure or high cholesterol and be above BMI 30 but below BMI 35. We had to agree to do things like the trial wanted us to do them, which is (they tell us) slightly different from normal....such as we were filled after 4 weeks rather than the normal 6-8 weeks. Just little things like that.

Where are all my MEMPHIS people?!!!!!!!!! There are 30 of us. Surely somebody besides me found this site!

I am not part of the trial but I was banded on Saturday. My BMI was 30 at the time of banding - I live in England and paid privately. The surgeon agreed to do it because my BMI had been 35 in the past x x

Wow, that's neat. When I was banded my bmi was teetering around 30 or so....would have been nice to be part of a trial. I'm on maintenance and have done so well.

Keep us posted on the trial and the results.

I'm not part of an actual "trial" but am part of a study on bariatric surgery for 5 years I think. I have to fill out a questioniere for them once a year. Its either by Michigan State University, or University of Michigan. There is nothing different about my overall care. The nurse said they are researching what protocall works best. Hopefully, this will be beneficial for future insurance approvals.

Hello. I'm in Memphis. I had my surgery done on 3/7. Would you like to chat sometime and share experiences. You can email me directly at jude5353@yahoo.com if you would like. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

had surgery march 21 in detroit mi. its been 4 days and im doing great. everything went really well. i got home yesterday and i've already lost 10 lbs. the worse part of everything was flying there and flying back, along day. i was so scared and nervous before, but was a piece of cake. i would do it again in a minute. so all of u hang in there and dont be scared. any questions just ask, ill help u all i can...........susie:lol:

Playful Psychic

I was 31 bmi when I was banded. I am not in a study but I would love to hear what you have to do. Please share. I had my first fill 3 weeks after surgery. Will have my second fill in 3 more weeks. This is different than what I see most people doing on this site. I am really interested in your program. Please share!

Grace65 :)

Well, we had to do a BUNCH of testing before the trial. EKG, Barium Swallow, Blood Panel, Stress Test, and Lord knows what else. I can't remember it all. That took about a month to complete. Then they did us 6 at a time. So we are in 5 different groups. I don't know if the protocol is different for each group, but I don't think it is. We returned one week after surgery to make sure we were okay and to make sure we didn't have any questions about the diet. After that we returned at 4 weeks and received a fill, but were told that if we felt we needed more to return before the next appointment at 2 months. I returned one week early because I wasn't losing and that doctor loves to go off on you if you aren't losing. He says you are either eating too much or not exercising. By going in early I bypassed the lecture. Our next appt is at 4 months. I'm down 22 pounds so far, which is good, at least for my group.

That is about all I know at this time. We received all the testing and surgery for free plus we get paid for the visits after the trial is complete.

Thanks Playful,

This sounds interesting. I have only lost 8 lbs since but 14 overall. I do not feel restricted and I am wondering how long to wait before going back. Dr. wants to see me in 2.5 more weeks so I think I will just wait until then. I am walking 2 miles a day and maybe a little more. I walk twice a day with my dogs so it is hard to tell. 45 minutes in the a.m and 20-30 minutes at night. I wish I could lose more but I guess it will just be really slow. The doctor said this would be slow for me. UGH!!

Keep me posted on your progress!

Grace

You have to be patient. All that weight didn't come overnight and it won't go overnight either. You are doing great for only a couple of weeks. Just where you should be!